Paul Mills Not Hot Seat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
    Since we are already down rabbit holes, going to put this here ..

Interesting... he was one I was interested in as a WSU coach. Was a high risk/high reward.

What's interesting is he's only halfway through his first year. and the bucks are in 2nd place overall in the Easter conference. They are 30-13 .. so not struggling. Wonder what happened.
    There is plenty of reporting if you google him. In short, in spite of their success, the organization lost confidence that he could lead the team. He ran off an experienced assistant coach that the players seemed to like. Veteran players were publically calling him out. It looks like he was only HIGH RISK.

Comment

• Still think he would’ve done well here. The nba and college are vastly different

Comment

• Originally posted by BostonWu View Post

Yeah guessing there was no grumble grumble hot seat posts at oru
        Do folks in Tulsa really care about basketball?

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

There is plenty of reporting if you google him. In short, in spite of their success, the organization lost confidence that he could lead the team. He ran off an experienced assistant coach that the players seemed to like. Veteran players were publically calling him out. It looks like he was only HIGH RISK.
          Bucks also seem a little bit of a **** show despite the success. They fired a coach last year two years removed from a title and they finished 1st in the regular season both years after. Then they appeared to hire Adrian Griffin solely off of Giannis's input, now they fired that coach half way through the first season in which they are still Top 2 based on advice from the same person apparently. Now they are very quickly hiring Doc Rivers of all people.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockHat View Post
            Still think he would’ve done well here. The nba and college are vastly different
            Absolutely this. Star players are the ones who truly dictate things in the NBA. We've seen a number of coaching decisions made because of what the top player wants. That's not going to be the case in the college game, where the coach and staff have a lot more control in all aspects of the team.
            Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker
            Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
            ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
            Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
            Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

Absolutely this. Star players are the ones who truly dictate things in the NBA. We've seen a number of coaching decisions made because of what the top player wants. That's not going to be the case in the college game, where the coach and staff have a lot more control in all aspects of the team.
              Will they for much longer? If college basketball doesn't start signing players to contracts, in this environment of no transfer restrictions, a case could be made that players will have more power than NBA players.

Comment

• Originally posted by Topshock View Post

Will they for much longer? If college basketball doesn't start signing players to contracts, in this environment of no transfer restrictions, a case could be made that players will have more power than NBA players.
                Which is why I personally was hammering hard for Griffin. Not sure he even got a chance. I think he would’ve done insanely good here, with NBA connections making up for any pitfalls in NIL. Could’ve rode that to success until fans bought in and contributed to NIL.

Comment

• Originally posted by Topshock View Post

They have the power to run away if they don't get their way. They don't have the power to dictate everything within the program. At least not if the coach has any kind of backbone.

I've heard a number of coaches and others complain about the way kids these days are so quick to run away from any situation that isn't just perfect for them. Good kids that will work hard exist. Those are the kids most coaches want. Hell, if you're not going to be coachable, why would a coach want you around? There are only a handful of players in college that can truly elevate their game to an insane level, most of the rest need coaching and guidance. I think things will settle down eventually and guys transferring multiple times are going to be seen as a giant red flag.
                  Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                  Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                  ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                  Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                  Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Griffin was dismissed after how many weeks? And it was due to lack of institutional control? Sounds more like we dodged a bullet and he isn’t ready to lead a program.
                    People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• This site is funny sometimes...

Comment

• Originally posted by shock View Post
                        Griffin was dismissed after how many weeks? And it was due to lack of institutional control? Sounds more like we dodged a bullet and he isn’t ready to lead a program.
                        Very possibly. He was my long shot hire IMO. I think he would have been good being hired before IB, but after IB hiring someone with no experience was a no go.

Also, I think you have to look at the bucks as a whole and question. They fired their last coach who won a title, then followed it up with back to back first place regular season finishes. He got fired for underperforming in the post season those two year. Then they hire Griffin, and fire him halfway through his first season when they are still in 2nd place only to hire Doc Rivers who is historically one of the most underperforming coaches in the postseason. It really seems like they are just letting Giannis and now Dame just run the show there. Same reason Giannis's brother has a roster spot still.

So i'm not 100% convinced he would have failed here, but we are well past the point that a risk like that would have been worth it.

Comment

• We wouldn't have fired him if he would have had us in second place.

Comment

• Originally posted by shock View Post
                            Griffin was dismissed after how many weeks? And it was due to lack of institutional control? Sounds more like we dodged a bullet and he isn’t ready to lead a program.
                            Reading between the lines, Giannis did not like Griffin, so Griffin got fired. They weren't going to fire Giannis.

Comment

• Inside the tension and struggles that led to Adrian Griffin's firing in Milwaukee

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post

Reading between the lines, Giannis did not like Griffin, so Griffin got fired. They weren't going to fire Giannis.
                                I'm no fan of Giannis. That dude has traveled more in 11 years (and none of them ever called as violations) than Lebron has in 21 years.

Comment

Working...
                                X