Paul Mills Not Hot Seat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ShockHat View Post
    Surely Mills sees that stat. The article from taylor about this stuff (the most recent article) was also kind of bare bones. Bell’s response infuriated me. Flagrant turnovers are not “little things.”

I’ve got to hope he’s gonna gut this entire squad next year. Most losses in 20 years.
    First-year coach Paul Mills and Shocker players give their thoughts on what needs to happen following the team’s seventh straight loss on Sunday.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

If you count Bell's shots that have zero chance at going in, then his turnover rate would exceed well over 50%.
      For a coach who said he values not turning the ball over - he at least has not been successful in getting that message across to his players. The taking of bad shots are the easiest to correct, but it just continues, and continues…

Comment

Surely Mills sees that stat. The article from taylor about this stuff (the most recent article) was also kind of bare bones. Bell’s response infuriated me. Flagrant turnovers are not “little things.”

I’ve got to hope he’s gonna gut this entire squad next year. Most losses in 20 years.
        If he doesn't gut this team .. we are in trouble.

Unlikely, but lets assume that everyone comes back that is eligible. Next year we would have a minimum of 7 scholarship players on their last year of eligibility (Pohto, Rogers, Bell, Cortes, Beverly, Ballard, Degray). So we would be walking into a critical year 3 of his tenure having to do a complete rebuild again.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

If he doesn't gut this team .. we are in trouble.

Unlikely, but lets assume that everyone comes back that is eligible. Next year we would have a minimum of 7 scholarship players on their last year of eligibility (Pohto, Rogers, Bell, Cortes, Beverly, Ballard, Degray). So we would be walking into a critical year 3 of his tenure having to do a complete rebuild again.
          bringing back the same group that had a historically bad season would be career suicide. The problem would be that we need to start a rebuild and yet the coach would feel obligated to play the upperclassmen since they have the experience and give us the best chance to win. Putting them on the bench would cause friction in the locker room if we don't win. You have to cut them loose and start fresh.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post

bringing back the same group that had a historically bad season would be career suicide. The problem would be that we need to start a rebuild and yet the coach would feel obligated to play the upperclassmen since they have the experience and give us the best chance to win. Putting them on the bench would cause friction in the locker room if we don't win. You have to cut them loose and start fresh.
            I agree .. but is Mills willing to do that? That's what we have to wait and see.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

I agree .. but is Mills willing to do that? That's what we have to wait and see.
              the million dollar question. It could be a career defining decision. Maybe he brings them all back and they win 25 games we're the ones that look like idiots.

Comment

• If he brings them all back, he's selling insurance in Houston in 3 or 4 years, unless there's a D1 coach somewhere who wants a stats geek on hi staff.

Mills needs a floor general to run games (Abmas). He has Bell and Cortes. Going back to the days we were in the Valley, Bell would have been an adequate role player on many Valley teams. With his size and willingness to bang, he would have been a good screener for one of the shooters on Marty Simmons' Evansville teams.
                The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Once again, centers are BOTH keepers - build around them. Combined they are shooting 54%, average over 18 ppg and 13 boards. That is pretty good production from that position. Need to focus on recruiting over everyone else if possible.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                    If he brings them all back, he's selling insurance in Houston in 3 or 4 years, unless there's a D1 coach somewhere who wants a stats geek on hi staff.

Mills needs a floor general to run games (Abmas). He has Bell and Cortes. Going back to the days we were in the Valley, Bell would have been an adequate role player on many Valley teams. With his size and willingness to bang, he would have been a good screener for one of the shooters on Marty Simmons' Evansville teams.
                    To that end. Is Marty looking for a job?
                    Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

• Originally posted by asiseeit View Post
                      Once again, centers are BOTH keepers - build around them. Combined they are shooting 54%, average over 18 ppg and 13 boards. That is pretty good production from that position. Need to focus on recruiting over everyone else if possible.
                      I agree that we need to recruit over everyone else. But I’m gonna straight up say this. Pohto has regressed. He’s fine for what he is, but he’s not improving in Mills system. Ballard has improved a mile. For that reason alone I say keep Ballard, and let’s see what others there are out there beyond Pohto. I think with what’s happening now, we need to really lean into making sure everybody knows this isn’t acceptable.

Comment

• Just watch a P5 school throw some money at Ballard...

This is the new world of college basketball. Ballard is going to need some NIL money to stick around. We aren't the only ones who have seen or will see what he can do.

Comment

I agree that we need to recruit over everyone else. But I’m gonna straight up say this. Pohto has regressed. He’s fine for what he is, but he’s not improving in Mills system. Ballard has improved a mile. For that reason alone I say keep Ballard, and let’s see what others there are out there beyond Pohto. I think with what’s happening now, we need to really lean into making sure everybody knows this isn’t acceptable.
                          We need to TRY to recruit over Pohto too .. but its going to be harder to do than the others. One, he adds more to the team than some of the others and two, big men are tough to find and even harder to beat out the big guys for.

Comment

• Originally posted by Maizerunner08 View Post
                            Just watch a P5 school throw some money at Ballard...

This is the new world of college basketball. Ballard is going to need some NIL money to stick around. We aren't the only ones who have seen or will see what he can do.
                            Any retort I have in mind has a counter that KU or whomever has lol. Let’s just hope he’s loyal to Acey

Comment

Any retort I have in mind has a counter that KU or whomever has lol. Let’s just hope he’s loyal to Acey
                              ... and Acey's loyal to Mills...
                              "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by Maizerunner08 View Post
                                Just watch a P5 school throw some money at Ballard...

This is why our lack of NIL transparency is so frustrating. I agree 100% that Ballard must be retained. How can I help? Just ask me. Please. Tell us how Shocker nation can help keep the guys we need to keep. So freaking frustrating! I'm not going to blindly give money to Armchair with no knowledge of where it's going or how it's used. That's just plain stupid.

Comment

Working...
                                X