No announcement yet.

Gal Mekel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

proshox: I agree with your comment; I know Gal makes mistakes and should be better next year. However he is not afraid to try and he is not willing to go meekly to defeat. Many posters here have a much poorer understanding of basketball than they imagine. You are free to disagree but look at who gets the minutes and tries to make the critical plays and decide if Marshall agrees with Gal's critics or if Gregg thinks Gal is doing a good job.

I have to admit that my opinion of many posters on SN is at a low point right now. I have seen enough good passes (and a few poor passes) to understand that he is not a ball hog who wants every shot. He is not a good enough player to win the game on his own; he needs help in the form of someone to pass to or someone attracting the attention of the defense. A sophomore should not be put in the position of having to take the critical shots. Some of this is on Marshall; if Hatch or Gris were waiting for a pass, if necessary 30' or 35' from the basket, and could take an open, long three, this would be fine with me if nothing else was available. On the last play of the game, Gal had no help.
    Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
    Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

I think we should give Gal some room to manuver. For the first 18 years of his life, Gal has been taught and played European style of basketball. He's now a season-and-a-half into playing American college basketball. He's adjusting to the learning curve. Now, he's been thrust into the starting PG position, that's a lot of pressure for the guy.

I'd be concerned if he wasn't displaying any improvement, but I for one, think he's done a fairly good job of adjusting all things considered. Throw in that his thousands of miles from home, adjusting to a new city, lifestyle, and coach, I think I'll be patient with the guy. Besides, this team won't do anything this year, so let him learn from his mistakes this year so he won't make them next year when our team will be a whole heckuva a lot better and playing for something.

Comment

Originally posted by KC Shox
        I think we should give Gal some room to manuver. For the first 18 years of his life, Gal has been taught and played European style of basketball. He's now a season-and-a-half into playing American college basketball. He's adjusting to the learning curve. Now, he's been thrust into the starting PG position, that's a lot of pressure for the guy.

I'd be concerned if he wasn't displaying any improvement, but I for one, think he's done a fairly good job of adjusting all things considered. Throw in that his thousands of miles from home, adjusting to a new city, lifestyle, and coach, I think I'll be patient with the guy. Besides, this team won't do anything this year, so let him learn from his mistakes this year so he won't make them next year when our team will be a whole heckuva a lot better and playing for something.
        You know, sometimes you drive me complete insane, then you make a totally sane post.

Comment

you should also learn to accept the negatives our team has,
          OK, here goes.

An undersized 5 who should be a 4. An undersized 4 with a broken finger. An udersized 3 who doesn't have enough perimeter game to run a true 3-guard set. A SG playing PG because there is no option. The only true remaining SG is a Fr who's a step slow on D. A bench that's still learning to play D1 ball.
          The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
          We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh
            The only true remaining SG is a Fr who's a step slow on D. A bench that's still learning to play D1 ball.
            You should add that this slow shooting guard has a very sweet shot when he is open and he is not afraid to take the shot. He is at least as good as SO because he seems to want to learn to play defense. I think he will be an important member of the team next year; Hatch will be the guard who waits outside, receives the pass from the player who is driving to the basket and drawing the defense, and makes the three. Creighton did that to us all night last night; we need to repay them next year when A.J. Hawkins can play, Gal and Aaron Ellis will hopefully be a year better, and Clevin Hannah joins the team.
            Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

I'm going to quote a post from hockeygoon96 on SalukiTalk:

"I am going to have to agree with 88 on some accounts. Many on here have blown a fuse by trying to figure out what has happened up to this point this season. I am not one to go on flame wars but there have been many on here that jump to quickly on individuals whether it be on the team on on this board. Clean criticism and analyzing is always allowed, but there have been some attacks that have just gone too far and do need to be done away with, not in terms of getting kicked off which does not happen unless in extreme cases. The comments just need to be a little more constructive and not just an instant rip. Attacks should be made via the PM and not visible to all.

I am not trying to police everyone, but I came onto this board 2 years ago when we were a decent team and everyone was welcoming on here. The character of this place has changed drastically and in not such a good way. Lets keep this place a fun and friendly environment for all please. I have met quite a few of you and love sharing all the experiences. Things will get better, it will just take time. Nothing is perfect."

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22
                Originally posted by RipEmUpShox
                Originally posted by SubGod22
                Even his teammates aren't sure what he's going to do sometimes. Like when he brings the ball up the court and dribbles around for 10 seconds only to force up a bad, contested shot with never looking to pass.

If you're going to leave your feet you HAVE to know what you're going to do with the ball and where it's going. That's one of the biggest things with Gal and we seen it late last night.

Gal has the ability to be a good player. But his basketball IQ is sometimes lacking. One of these days he'll learn.
                "Seriously, DO YOU EVER SHUTUP?"
                No I don't. But at least I try to bring something to the table other than nonsense ramblings of the uneducated.
                :clap: :good:
                Deuces Valley.
                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

It takes teamwork, teamwork, and more teamwork.

PJ, anymore, just does something with ball about 1/3 of the time when he is on the perimeter other than pass it back.

Hatch, now, does help out some, and will put up a shot, or even drive if he sees an opening.

Other than what I have mentioned, who else helps Gal to create something offensively???

Have you noticed when we 'work' offensively, the team members are moving a lot more, and when we don't, the 2,3,4, and 5 guys are just sort of standing in one position more? Have you noticed how much more the opponents team is moving constantly, and how much crisper their passes are? They call it a motion Offense for a reason!!!

Comment

Gal catches way to much heat. He does make mistakes you would be stupid to not to admit that.

But people treat him like hes the back up to the back up from the Mike Cohen years.

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh
                      you should also learn to accept the negatives our team has,
                      OK, here goes.

An undersized 5 who should be a 4. An undersized 4 with a broken finger. An udersized 3 who doesn't have enough perimeter game to run a true 3-guard set. A SG playing PG because there is no option. The only true remaining SG is a Fr who's a step slow on D. A bench that's still learning to play D1 ball.
                      You go correctly.

I add this:

1. In general, the team is short on talent at most every position.
                      2. In general, the newcomers have disappointed - Griskenal, Ellis.
                      3. In general, the team is undersized.
                      4. In general, the team lacks quickness.
                      5. In general, the team plays too much zone to paper over the deficiencies.
                      6. In general, the team does not shoot well.
                      7. Injuries have reduced performance.
                      8. Currently, the team is playing without a competent point guard.

When all of this is rolled up, one can only conclude the prospects are not too bright for this year.

It is quite surprising to me that the Shockers have beaten certain teams, like LSU and UAB, and have been so competitive in some of their losses. This speaks well to the coaches and the heart and grit of the players.

It becomes rather pointless to beat up on the team or any individual.

Comment

I couldn't agree more.

To look at this team objectively, both talent wise and depth wise, and to expect anything near or above a winning record is putting a tremendous amount of expectation on coaching and I for one do not think that is even possible.

Comment

Last season, the Shocks were 7-8 in their last 15 games, losing their last 5 games (in a row). To say he knew there wasn't much in the cupbaord for this season is an understatement.

Did you also remember Turgeon's team going 0-11 to start his coaching career at WSU? The cupboard was bare then, too, but Turgeon piecemealed a team together. That first season we won a whopping 9 games. We improved to 15 the second season.

This season will be a year of struggles, but we have competed in nearly every game (save a couple.) You could say the same thing about Turgeon, but I remember being down by 45 to SIU at the Coliseum (that was a pretty bad day.)

Marshall tried to pick up some (extremely late) players into a position to bolster WSU for this season. Whether or not it holds is irrelevant. Just like Turgeon, Marshall has an exceptional class of recruits coming in. I expect the newcomers to challenge for a lot of playing time early on, again, much like Kampman, Howard and Burns did, and then later, PJ, Sean and Paul.

So I'm rooting for the Shocks this season, even without a true point guard and a true shooting guard, and a true center. In case you haven't noticed, we are extremely young at every position, and where we aren't young, we're undersized or playing out of position to "patch" this season. I've not given up on this team, not on Gal, not on PJ nor anyone else. Coach is working hard, some would say "too hard" for this season, but that's the kind of competitor he is. Given a handful of moments this season to experience Koch Arena the way it can be on a good night, he has to be salivating at the idea of what could be in a year, or two, or three. At least I hope he can see that far down the road (it has to be difficult right now.)

Comment

Jeeeze, what a bunch of day-brighteners!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ricky Del Rio
                              I add this:

2. In general, the newcomers have disappointed - Griskenal, Ellis.

8. Currently, the team is playing without a competent point guard.
                              RDR:

2. Ramon Clemente has not disappointed me. I didn't know what to expect from Hatch but I am not disappointed in his contribution.

8. WSU has a competent point guard. WSU does not have a great point guard. Look at the MVC stats:

ASSISTS
                              ## Player-Team Cl G Assists Avg/G
                              -------------------------------------------------
                              1.Mullins, Bryan-SIU....... JR 16 83 5.19
                              2.Emmenecker, Adam-DU...... SR 15 77 5.13
                              3.Moore, Gabe-INS.......... SR 15 70 4.67
                              4.Holsinger, Jason-UE...... JR 15 68 4.53
                              5.Dotzler,Josh-CU.......... JR 15 63 4.20
                              6.Fuehrmeyer,Justin-MSU.... SO 17 69 4.06
                              7.Richardson,Boo-ILS....... SR 16 62 3.88
                              8.Braeuer, Matt-WSU........ SR 12 42 3.50
                              9.Laurie,Spencer-MSU....... SR 17 56 3.29
                              10.Mekel, Gal-WSU........... SO 16 52 3.25
                              11.Johnson,Dom-ILS.......... SR 16 51 3.19
                              12.Maniscalco, Sam-BU....... FR 17 50 2.94
                              13.Crouch, Jeremy-BU........ SR 17 48 2.82
                              14.Stinnett,P'Allen-CU...... FR 15 33 2.20
                              15.Couisnard, PJ-WSU........ SR 16 35 2.19

ASSIST/TURNOVER RATIO (Min. 3.0 assists/game)
                              ## Player-Team Cl G Asst Avg Turn Avg Ratio
                              ---------------------------------------------------------------
                              1.Richardson,Boo-ILS....... SR 16 62 3.9 18 1.1 3.44
                              2.Dotzler,Josh-CU.......... JR 15 63 4.2 30 2.0 2.10
                              3.Emmenecker, Adam-DU...... SR 15 77 5.1 40 2.7 1.93
                              4.Fuehrmeyer,Justin-MSU.... SO 17 69 4.1 36 2.1 1.92
                              5.Johnson,Dom-ILS.......... SR 16 51 3.2 28 1.8 1.82
                              6.Mullins, Bryan-SIU....... JR 16 83 5.2 47 2.9 1.77
                              7.Moore, Gabe-INS.......... SR 15 70 4.7 42 2.8 1.67
                              8.Holsinger, Jason-UE...... JR 15 68 4.5 42 2.8 1.62
                              9.Braeuer, Matt-WSU........ SR 12 42 3.5 28 2.3 1.50
                              10.Laurie,Spencer-MSU....... SR 17 56 3.3 39 2.3 1.44
                              11.Mekel, Gal-WSU........... SO 16 52 3.3 43 2.7 1.21

Matt is a better point guard than Gal this year. If Matt returns, we will have more options and should be a better team (depending on Matt and his health). To say that Gal is not a competent point guard is just silly. To say he is a great point guard would be equally silly.

Think about this. If Gal were playing on a different MVC team with better talent around him, I'll bet you would "hate" him for the passes he made which made the Shocks look bad. Here are the comments on Gal's assist to ... Mantas (??) behind the press for the dunk.

CU4LIFE: that dunk was a step down from P's dunks.

CU4LIFE: Pierce, what are you doing? PLAY DEFENSE.....

CP JAY 07: How does someone get that wide open behind the press.

Comment

When Gal decides to not be selfish and looks for the extra pass, he is usually successful. That's the problem though. It never seems like he's looking for it, but rather to go 1 on 3 by himself in the lane. That's where the biggest problem lies.

Gal, being ranked 10th and 11th, in assists per game and assist-TO ratio in the Valley doesn't really legitimize anything. There's 10 true starting point guards in the league, one for every team. And Gal ranks on the lower end of all the teams.

I dunno how being around the Top 10 in terms of those stats really means anything. Top 3, yes. Top 5, ok. Top 10, weak.
                                Deuces Valley.
                                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Working...
                                X