• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ^^^ Lol ^^^ - well said.
    FINAL FOURS:
    1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
    1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
    Number of Times Ranked: 157
    Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
    Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
    Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
    #3 - Dec. 2017
    #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
    #2 ~ March 2014
    Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• The portal is open for 9 more days.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker82/85 View Post
        The portal is open for 9 more days.
        To be clear, you can only ENTER the portal for 9 more days and get immediately eligibility. You can enter it at any time and sit out a year. You can also enter then take a couple months to make a decision.

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
            A lot of posters are setting themselves up to make the argument that Mills needs to be fired unless he does something nearly impossible. It's going to be a very long offseason, and possibly an even longer season. The AAC is adding something like 4 teams that were rated higher than WSU last year and all the starters from that team are gone. It's likely to be harder to contend for a league title next year than it was this year.
            That was the gist of posts I made awhile back. We are returning 10.3 PPG of production with a new coach, and missing our biggest recruiting targets. At the very best, we'd expect to take some licks while we got up to speed with new system and a largely new team. Expectations should not be set at 20 wins and a share of league title. Instead, I'm looking for improvement throughout the year and signs of character.

People should recall that Gregg Marshall earned a standing ovation in the midst of a losing season because his players bought in and the fanbase believed in the team's future.

Comment

• Originally posted by CBB_Fan View Post

That was the gist of posts I made awhile back. We are returning 10.3 PPG of production with a new coach, and missing our biggest recruiting targets. At the very best, we'd expect to take some licks while we got up to speed with new system and a largely new team. Expectations should not be set at 20 wins and a share of league title. Instead, I'm looking for improvement throughout the year and signs of character.

People should recall that Gregg Marshall earned a standing ovation in the midst of a losing season because his players bought in and the fanbase believed in the team's future.
              Expectations should be at 20 wins or better IMO ... Always should be. He shouldn't get a pass for "missing our biggest recruiting targets" as that's one of the main parts of his job .. if he can't recruit he's not going to last. Doesn't mean I'm saying he should be fired by year one but asking people to lower their expectations is dumb. Other teams are losing a bunch and reloading. He has to learn to do that if can't do it right now.

Comment

• Originally posted by CBB_Fan View Post

The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

• I don’t understand the part about missing our biggest targets. Are these HCPM biggest targets or ours. If they are the biggest targets I missed the part where we took a poll to determine the biggest targets

Comment

• Originally posted by pogo View Post
                    I don’t understand the part about missing our biggest targets. Are these HCPM biggest targets or ours. If they are the biggest targets I missed the part where we took a poll to determine the biggest targets
                    The best players we reached out to but were unable to reel in ... like Abmas.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

The best players we reached out to but were unable to reel in ... like Abmas.
                      I think the consensus was that Abmas was a big target but getting him was also probably a long shot. And that proved to be accurate.

Comment

• It's fairly obvious that things aren't going perfectly. About a month ago at least one of the coaches hinted to Tyler Eldridge that the roster could have been rounded out by the following week, and that clearly has not happened. My guess (as has been oft repeated by others on here) is that they thought they could maybe get Abmas, and that would be the tipping point for some others.

The summary is that things have not gone perfectly. The good news is that things seldom do. Lets see how Paul Mills can make chicken salad out of chicken ****.
                        The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

• I’m guessing PM thought recruiting to WSU was going to be so much easier than ORU. The problem with the portal is everyone has their hand out.

Comment

• We can’t compare this era of free transfers to the past. Imo, Mills needs to be able to prove that he’s able to quickly rebuild a roster and get that roster to tourney. I know he’s getting his feet wet and all, but while I’m still giving him a one year grace period, I still expect to at least be in the conversation.

the new reality is that rosters can easily turn over year after year now, especially when you have p5 dropping super fat bags on the table. As a player, that’s going to be very hard to resist especially at that age, because that is life changing money for some of them.

So we need to be able to pull hard through the portal, JUCO, or high school recruits who can make immediate impact. There is no long term building a roster anymore imo

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Expectations should be at 20 wins or better IMO ... Always should be. He shouldn't get a pass for "missing our biggest recruiting targets" as that's one of the main parts of his job .. if he can't recruit he's not going to last. Doesn't mean I'm saying he should be fired by year one but asking people to lower their expectations is dumb. Other teams are losing a bunch and reloading. He has to learn to do that if can't do it right now.
                              Even with the transfer portal, basketball is not a one-year sport. New coaches coming in and replacing most of the production on a team rarely have success in their first year, and when they do they are the exception. It takes time to build a culture, establish recruiting networks, and implement a system.

Look frankly at this roster. Xavier Bell is most proven returnee. None of the incoming transfers were all-conference level performers. Our only incoming high school signee at the moment is a foreign prospect that will be hard to evaluate before they play hear. Our expectations should be based on who actually plays for us, not some fantasy where our roster is filled with proven all-conference players and All-American recruits. Who we are is a rebuilding program with no proven names on our roster.

A coach can of course be judged for the team they assembled, but we need to keep in mind the challenges of recruiting here, now, and under these circumstances. I am much more willing to lambast a coach's recruiting after they've actually had a full recruiting season under their belt. Particularly in the modern environment, where keeping players is even more vital than enticing them and an incoming coach is bound start with a loss in that department.

Comment

• Originally posted by rjl View Post
                                The summary is that things have not gone perfectly. The good news is that things seldom do. Lets see how Paul Mills can make chicken salad out of chicken ****.
                                Any user that posts "chicken ****" gets an auto-like out of me. Context be damned.
                                Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Working...
                                X