The 2023 Official “Jay Bilas No Rules” Transfer Portal Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TheCount View Post
    I think Abmas will be very successful wherever he goes, but it's almost a guarantee under Mills as a Shocker. The accolades, playing time, and media coverage will all surround him. Anywhere else and it's easy to be overshadowed by a lottery pick and you're just another contributor.
    ... and overshadowed by foosball.

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post

This is one of the most important points right here!

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

HCPM getting ready to feed me the biggest, tastiest bunch of crow ever

I don't get to toot my horn often. So please excuse my " Told you so"

Originally posted by Atxshoxfan View Post
        Mills to Abmas:

Max we realize that you are a high value player. We also know that others schools have the money ready to lay on the table for your services, while we do not yet.

Why don't you go out and see what offers you get and get back to me with those figures. In the mean time, we will be scraping up donors to try and match the offers you get elsewhere. We have some big money folks who will invest in our team but want to know what they are paying for before doling out the cash.

I look forward to coaching you for your 5th and final college season enroute to your NBA career.
        Last edited by Atxshoxfan; April 25, 2023, 02:21 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

But is it really more than a courtesy to Mills? I still think it's a long shot to land him, regardless if he visits or not.
          I don't think a coach would waste the time or money on a courtesy visit.

Comment

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post

I meant to add that too. Abmas would be the most important man on campus. At KSU and UT he would have to get behind the 3rd string punter.

Comment

I've always felt like this ^. Everyone acts like it's crazy for Abmas to come to WSU and understand that point of view. Other than TE throwing out cryptic hope I had pretty much given up on Abmas, but he stayed at ORU when he's already had the opportunity to go wherever he wanted for multiple years. He's been extremely successful under Mills and he must have really enjoyed it to stick around that long. Now he has the chance to continue that success, become the instant star of the team, all while stepping up the competition and getting more NIL than he had before. I truly believe the NIL will start flowing when we starting winning again as well (but that's a hard sell to a recruit).

I think Abmas will be very successful wherever he goes, but it's almost a guarantee under Mills as a Shocker. The accolades, playing time, and media coverage will all surround him. Anywhere else and it's easy to be overshadowed by a lottery pick and you're just another contributor.
              Well even if it doesn't make any sense to come here, he hasn't decided where to go yet, or he'd have announced it.

Comment

• NM

Comment

But is it really more than a courtesy to Mills? I still think it's a long shot to land him, regardless if he visits or not.
                  This theory has been bounced around, but personally I don’t believe Max would waste his OR HCPM’s time with a courtesy visit. If he visits he’s interested. Period. May not decide for us but he’s interested enough to make us a contender. Common, he’s intimately acquainted and familiar with Mills, they’ve been in a hundred smoke filled rooms together and can easily square up with each other over the phone. Max is not going to spin everyone’s wheels in that way, I don’t believe.

Comment

• Originally posted by B&Gpassion View Post

This theory has been bounced around, but personally I don’t believe Max would waste his OR HCPM’s time with a courtesy visit. If he visits he’s interested. Period. May not decide for us but he’s interested enough to make us a contender. Common, he’s intimately acquainted and familiar with Mills, they’ve been in a hundred smoke filled rooms together and can easily square up with each other over the phone. Max is not going to spin everyone’s wheels in that way, I don’t believe.
                    Gotta love those smoke filled rooms.
                    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                    This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

• Originally posted by forevershockerfan View Post
                      My updated Final 4 splashing Dream Team for dreamers. 1. Abmas 2. KP 3. Collins 4. Either of the 2 Oral Roberts portal or both if an opening occurs.
                      Pohto staying is a large piece. If he stays and we get another PG that can be as good or better than Cortes our team becomes serviceable. Collins and Abmas added would be legitimately a season changer.
                      Last edited by shoxlax; April 25, 2023, 02:45 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
                        The reasons for Abmas to come here make a lot more sense than people seem to give credit. He'd be moving up a league (though not as far as Big XII) but still be 100% familiar with the coach and expectations. He'd likely be in the running for Pre-Season AAC Player of the Year, unlikely to be that high in the Big XII. He would be the focal point of the WSU offense, unlikely (at least as much) at both Texas and KSU.

There are definitely pros for him to come here. The part where we fall behind is likely NIL and tournament chances (though with Abmas, it might pull a few other high level recruits for the last 3 scholarship to make a tourney run way more likely)
                        I mostly agree.

And on a tangential note, regarding Abmas' NBA draft prospects, I'm not sure he's a likely draftee, especially first round. I seem to recall reading that due to his age (he'll be 23 at draft time next year), teams aren't likely to use a draft pick on him. Of course, I'm sure he still wants more visibility on the NBA radar to improve his stock as a potential undrafted free agent. And that he could definitely do here, being the focus of the offense in a better conference.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerExpress View Post
                          WSU is not getting Abmas.

Please Permaban me when they do.

Seriously. Please.
                          I’ll put $5 towards his NIL. Nothing against you, it’s just that when someone offers a permaban I wanna know if they’ll follow through.
                          People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded
                          Who else posts fake **** all day in order to maintain the acrimony? Wingnuts, that's who.

Comment

This is one of the most important points right here!
                            Truer words have never been spoken!

Comment

I couldn't care less about Texas. I've just always thought it made more sense to go to a better conference where he's almost guaranteed to be playing in March for his final season and have more opportunities to showcase his skills.

Right now, Texas and KSU both offer those things and we don't. Baylor has also been mentioned and they would make more sense too.

I'd hate to see a guy of his talents leave his school and then not make the NCAA tournament. It would be a waste. Us getting him would put us in a better spot and we'd still have three spots left, but I don't see the current roster, even with him, being a tournament team.
                              I know what you are saying but If we don't have a coach and some players that believe in this program more than that it would never get better because no one good would ever sign.

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post

I mostly agree.

And on a tangential note, regarding Abmas' NBA draft prospects, I'm not sure he's a likely draftee, especially first round. I seem to recall reading that due to his age (he'll be 23 at draft time next year), teams aren't likely to use a draft pick on him. Of course, I'm sure he still wants more visibility on the NBA radar to improve his stock as a potential undrafted free agent. And that he could definitely do here, being the focus of the offense in a better conference.
                                I don't see him getting drafted, particularly in the first round. Age and height being the two main factors. Not saying it's right, just saying it from a perspective of how NBA teams view prospects.

Comment

Working...
                                X