Wichita State: vs Tulane (01/25/23)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shockm View Post

Fred always talked about how good a guard coach Greg Heiar was. Maybe he helped our Point Guards when Fred was here, and with a better coach than we have now, CP could have measured up to your standards. He was evidently a very good Point Guard on the Vincennes (I think CP played for Vincennes, or some team in Indiana) team in 2020, when they won the National Championship with Porter. He was highly recruited, when we got him.
    CP is a very good basketball player, but he's not a legit PG

Comment

Fred always talked about how good a guard coach Greg Heiar was. Maybe he helped our Point Guards when Fred was here, and with a better coach than we have now, CP could have measured up to your standards. He was evidently a very good Point Guard on the Vincennes (I think CP played for Vincennes, or some team in Indiana) team in 2020, when they won the National Championship with Porter. He was highly recruited, when we got him.
      Tomato, tomatoe.

Nothing wrong with a rebounding PG, but I prefer a PG who can handle the ball and get to the free throw line (and convert) and the end of close game(s). Do you understand the difference?

Comment

I thought the quote in the paper was interesting when CP said he missed 12 of 14 free throws at a game in the NJCAA tourney, I believe it was. I hope that was a sign to work on free throws.

Comment

Coach Ron Hunter preflight session before the game in Wichita.

Comment

"I told the guys they can do practice. The last time I did practice it didn't work out very well -- we lost. So I'm gonna let them figure it out and I'm gonna lay here on the couch and ... breath."
            Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers View Post

CP is a very good basketball player, but he's not a legit PG
              We haven't had one of those since Fred, and Armstead. And before them, we didn't have one either (Demetric Williams, etc.), but we still had a Championship NIT team (Joe Ragland was more of a 2 guard his first year, although he made strides at the very end of the year), and made it to the F4 of the NIT later on. Now, we can't even make it into the Top 6 in the AAC. In other words, with good coaching, you don't have to have a perfect PG to win 20 games.

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                So I'm gonna let them figure it out and I'm gonna lay here on the couch and ... breath."
                GGG used to say that exact same thing ("they gotta figure it out; no timeout."). Routinely. Basics 101...

Comment

Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post

GGG used to say that exact same thing ("they gotta figure it out; no timeout."). Routinely. Basics 101...
                  You know, he was a GREAT coach except with this one stubborn streak....now your boy Self calls timeouts like they are a nonstop endless flow but I would venture that SOMEWHERE in there, 3G could have changed a game or two by assuming they COULD'NT figure it out....

Comment

Originally posted by molly jabali View Post

You know, he was a GREAT coach except with this one stubborn streak....now your boy Self calls timeouts like they are a nonstop endless flow but I would venture that SOMEWHERE in there, 3G could have changed a game or two by assuming they COULD'NT figure it out....

The point was sometimes it does come down to the players on the court. I agree with Hunter and GGG on that, and that puts me in good company. Review the discussions about point guard play to see where I stand on that, then get back at me dog. And You must watch self waaaaay more than I do or ever have, or ever will, to know his in-game tactics. I promise I wouldn't know either way his coaching philosophy. Thanks for the letting us know.

Comment

We haven't had one of those since Fred, and Armstead. And before them, we didn't have one either (Demetric Williams, etc.), but we still had a Championship NIT team (Joe Ragland was more of a 2 guard his first year, although he made strides at the very end of the year), and made it to the F4 of the NIT later on. Now, we can't even make it into the Top 6 in the AAC. In other words, with good coaching, you don't have to have a perfect PG to win 20 games.
                      I thought Clevin was a pretty legit PG, that could also score, during our rebuild with Marshall.

Comment

If anyone has 1 for tonight let me know - already gave mine away and decided I want to go.
                        Brummett throws, STRUCK HIM OUT! THE SHOCKERS ARE NATIONAL CHAMPIONS! AN UNBELIEVABLE STORY!

Comment

I'll be watching at the home of my two best friends so I can watch their kids while they attend the game together.

You'll hear her when Tulane is shooting FTs. I guarantee it.
                          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

I thought Clevin was a pretty legit PG, that could also score, during our rebuild with Marshall.
                            Yes he was. Does anyone remember this point guard from way back who could run a pretty good pick-n-pop? Keeps his head up. It WSU's last Championship season:

Why did HCIB quit going to the pick-n-pop? Maybe because the players couldn't figure it out?
                            Last edited by ShockingButTrue; January 25, 2023, 03:59 PM.

Comment

I don't generally miss home games, but gonna have to sit this one out after my meltdown Sunday afternoon.

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post

Yes he was. Does anyone remember this point guard from way back who could run a pretty good pick-n-pop? Keeps his head up. It WSU's last Championship season:

Why did HCIB quit going to the pick-n-pop? Maybe because the players couldn't figure it out?
                                More likely he doesn’t know what it is. Goes against the dawg philosophy.

Comment

Working...
                                X