Pre-Game Thread: vs Missouri (11/29/22)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ShoxRoxMySox View Post
    I want to like this team, and there are things that I do like, but we just feel like a JUCO team to me. It's been a long time since we've felt like JUCO team, but we are again. I know part of that is the transfer portal, but there's definitely more to it.

I remember going downtown and watching Tekele Cotton as a freshman vs UAB (pretty sure, it's been many years) and knowing he was gonna be a problem for opposing offenses. He couldn't shoot at all, but he still was a man on the court. We just don't have any of that now. I feel like I'm watching a game at the damn YMCA.

I don't even know what I'm saying, I'm just babbling and frustrated.
    I'm right with you; I'm feeling like this, this morning...

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• I wrote a much longer post, but decided there wasn't much of a point. Kinda just ranting and I'm not sure what the real purpose is. I don't, and haven't, had any expectations for this team. 12 new players, none of which were highly regarded transfers or recruits, and a coach that is learning (arguable) on the job doesn't result in a winning season.

I think they're getting better, maybe. We have no real ball handler. Our center position is a black hole. Our offense relies on screens, but our screeners don't make contact with whoever they're screening.

I would much rather watch this team than last years team. That doesn't make it less sad that the program is in the state it is, but I honestly think the decline was an inevitability.

Comment

• Originally posted by Topshock View Post

There is a fine line between winning and losing in D1 basketball Just a few plays often determine it throughout the game. Mental toughness and discipline are what prevent those "losing plays". That usually comes from good coaching. In my opinion we won those games the first year because of carry over toughness and discipline ingrained in the team by GM.

As the "let dawgs be dawgs" coaching style has become ingrained in our players, they play more like a summer pick-up team than a well coached basketball team. That is a recipe for mediocrity.
        Good post. We need to get better and soon but not likely to happen with this coach and staff. I see the XE portion of MTXE at times but very little of the MT. I am an old timer that sees EVERY game. I still look forward to every game. About the only scenario I can see for a quick fix is to somehow lure GM back. DB should have had his back. Imagine the excitement if GM was re hired.

Comment

• Wild game last night. Best of luck the rest of the way. I don't feel qualified to offer much commentary on the Shocker team this year and I know there are questions about Isaac Brown's coaching, but I hope that the new team is able to gel by AAC play. This has been a pretty fun series so far: 3 games and the road team has won each time. Neither program is exactly where we would want them to be, but I feel like both schools have the infrastructure and commitment to climb back up. Best wishes against K-State and moving forward.

Comment

• We lost this game at the end from lack of Senior Leadership near the end caused by the transfer changes. We got to grow it and it takes time. Unfortunately it could repeat again and again.

Comment

• Originally posted by asiseeit View Post

Good post. We need to get better and soon but not likely to happen with this coach and staff. I see the XE portion of MTXE at times but very little of the MT. I am an old timer that sees EVERY game. I still look forward to every game. About the only scenario I can see for a quick fix is to somehow lure GM back. DB should have had his back. Imagine the excitement if GM was re hired.
              Pretty mainstream concept.

Comment

• Originally posted by AZ Shocker View Post
                Yes. Ive noticed he doesn't roll (cut) to the hoop after the screen. Need to do that more often as he has missed plenty of opportunities for an easy duece at the rim.
                The opportunity is there for an easy basket, but somebody gotta light a fire under the man before the easy opportunity becomes real.

Comment

• When you advertise that you let dawgs be dawgs, when you let players freelance, shoot whenever they want, you are going to have guys transfer here that want to do just that, no?
                  Last edited by pinstripers; November 30, 2022, 12:27 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                    When you let dawgs be dawgs, when you let players freelance, shoot whenever they want, you are going to have guys transfer here that want to do just that, no?
                    And when you have guys who aren't as "dawgy" as they think they are, you need to learn how to be a pack o'dawgs that works together. But when too many have this attitude it doesn't work so well.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

• Does anyone know how much money would be owed to IB if we told him to pack his bags at the end of the season?

Comment

• Originally posted by shocks02 View Post
                        Does anyone know how much money would be owed to IB if we told him to pack his bags at the end of the season?
                        I want to say it would be around $3.8M
                        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Oh boy.

Comment

• Originally posted by 60Shock View Post
                            We lost this game at the end from lack of Senior Leadership near the end caused by the transfer changes. We got to grow it and it takes time. Unfortunately it could repeat again and again.
                            How many transfers did Mizzou have? How many of them started?

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post

How many transfers did Mizzou have? How many of them started?
                              We played Cleveland State last night. They have about 10 transfers, 4 of them started I believe, several of them came with the coach from Cleveland State,

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post

We played Cleveland State last night. They have about 10 transfers, 4 of them started I believe, several of them came with the coach from Cleveland State,
                                And 4 came from Valley schools.

Comment

Working...
                                X