January 9th Coaches Show

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• January 9th Coaches Show

I listened particularly close to this show to get a feel for what is going on in the program. Hopefully I captured the gist of it...

On SWOMO:

"One of the 3 or 4 teams that could win the league as per the pre-season polls"

"We've got to find ways to put the ball in the basket"

"Giving up 71 points isn't that bad"

"Don't know what buttons we could push"

Mike Kennedy - "This team has shown it can play some pretty good basketball." "It's there, this team can play well."

HCGM - "I have no explanation for it." "We are all ears as a staff."

"You have five games where you play above your ability and five games where you play below your ability (hopefully this was one where we played below)." "The other 20 or so define your season."

"MVC is a VERY physical league." "If some of the fouls committed in the MVC were committed in the Big South there would be a felony and the key would be thrown away." "I didn't like the ticky tack foul calls in the Big South". "SWOMO was taking it to us all night and we didn't give it back."

"If SIU does a better job defensively than SWOMO last night than I am not looking forward to that game." CB - "Ummmmmmmmm...."

On roster changes:

"We are still evaluating talent."

"Everything equal I would go with the younger guy."

"Some have been here several years and don't have much room for improvement."

On Matt Braeuer:

"I'd rather have him in a uniform than in a suit."

"On the concussion test Matt is at a 13 and has been there for several days." "He must be at a zero before he can come back." "That day may come this season or it may not."

"Matt's fourth concussion." (talked about broken fingers but I don't know if he was talking about Matt)

On HCGM's past teams:

"What we did worked in the past." "This is a totally different team and league."

"I like my players to develop a swagger, confidence." "We don't have that now."

"I'm used to my team coming out of the tunnel with individual moves." "We have a subdued group of guys."

"I want them to develop an edge."

On Braeuer's helmet-

"If and when he comes back a helmet is a real possibility."

"He should have been wearing a helmet before."

"He may or may not come back."

"NCAA has approved Matt for wearing a helmet if he chooses."

Miscellaneous-

"Right now we are pretty easy to prepare for.."

"It doesn't matter what type of defense we had last night with the way we approached the game."

"We only have a couple defenses -man to man, matchup, couple presses, one goes back to man, one goes back to zone." "We have played the same way since LSU." "That is the way we are going to continue to play."

"We only have four guards."

Caller: "Why do we walk the ball up the floor."

HCGM: "We only walk/jog the ball up when we are scored upon. We run a sequence of set plays that we don't verbalize. We are waiting for other guys to get set up for set plays.

"When we are in transition we try to beat them up the court."

"We are not scoring on enough of our set plays." "They work!" "We used a lot of them successfully against Notre Dame in the NCAA's."

On Creighton:

"Been told CU is not as talented as they have been before."

"They have a very unique pressure for 40mins."

"Fearful of that -it will be a challenge for us."

"Stinnett is a big-time talent." "He is a complete player -there is nothing he cannot do." "That is what we are trying to recruit."

"They go 12 deep."

This is just a little bit of what I remembered...lol j/k I wrote it down! ;-)

T

...8)

Thats quite a bit thanks. :posterwsu: 8)
    I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

Originally posted by DaShox
      What defense was played against LSU?

What defense was played against UAB?

Matchup zone. Oh, how quickly some forget.
      Are we sure DaShox isnt gregg or are we sure coach doesnt read this forum.

This was just about VERBATIM what coach said in response to dennis tonight

Comment

Some other things I picked up:

Durley is making [slow] progress. Bottomline is when he breaks down tape - Durley still a liability (he just gives up more point than he makes). As long as he does that his time is going to be limited.

Hatch was not mentally prepared for Div I basketball. He's getting a shot because they need offense. He's still a step slow but he's expecting that he will get better as the year goes along.

He likes how the leagues refs call the games. He like physical play and someday WSU will be giving more than they received. Right now they are just taking it like girlie boys (my paraphrase)

This team is a great bunch of "nice" guys.

Clueless "Coach" Dennis called and said he thought WSU was playing to much Zone. Coach Marshall pointed out that WSU basically played M-2-M for the first portion of the game where the early hole got dug.

Potential head gear for Mat B that has been approved would decrease the chances of a concusion by 50%.

Was asked about depth of guard position. Said he could have signed another guard, but didn't really have anybody that would help the program long term so he didn't go that way. He want long term solutions, not short term fixes.

Overall good early callers with good questions, but after Clueless Dennis called in, the caller IQ went down rather fast.

Comment

No offense to Matty, but I kinda don't wanna see our point guard running around with a helmet on.

That would be like having that scary girl in 6th grade chasing you around the school yard sporting that terrifying chrome oral-head-gear wrapped from ear to ear.
          Eew-gawds that was terrifying...

Not that there's anything wrong with that. I just think Matt would look a lot better in a suit. :good:
          FINAL FOURS:
          1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
          1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
          Number of Times Ranked: 157
          Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
          Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
          Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
          #3 - Dec. 2017
          #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
          #2 ~ March 2014
          Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Only 4 Guards? I counted more!!!

Did I understand that HCGM said he only had 4 guards? I count more than that. Could someone please help me with the count?

Comment

I'd buy a Matt B helmet from the gift shop

Comment

Re: Only 4 Guards? I counted more!!!

Originally posted by spectator1
                Did I understand that HCGM said he only had 4 guards? I count more than that. Could someone please help me with the count?
                Mekel, Preadom, Harris, Michael, Hatch. Harris and Michael are both walk-ons and Harris doesn't really play and Michael gets a couple of minutes every game. I don't think he counts PJ as a gaurd. I think I got everyone. Matt is out so I don't think you count him.
                Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Gal, WP, GH. Matt can't play and PJ isn't playing like a guard. Bret and Lance aren't playing at all, so I only count 3. 3-6 are all accurate numbers IMO.
                  Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by wufan
                    Gal, WP, GH. Matt can't play and PJ isn't playing like a guard. Bret and Lance aren't playing at all, so I only count 3. 3-6 are all accurate numbers IMO.
                    He's obviously including Michael in that number.

Comment

Working...
                    X