Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pre-Game Thread: vs. Grand Canyon (11/21/22)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A million in Cedar Falls is like 157 million in California.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
      Want to mention that former South High PG and 1995 Kansas Gatorade Player of 1995, Jamall Walker is an assistant coach with GCU. He was previously an assistant at Illinois between 2012-2020 and played for Charlie Spoonhour at St. Louis for 4 years. In 1988, he and the Billikens lost to the eventual NCCA champions, Kentucky, in the second round of the NCAA tourney. One of the nicest and best kids I've ever known during my recreational coaching days. Very fondly remember a Shocker BB game where he came up to me where I was sitting. He said that he and his family were visiting. He then wanted me to come to where he was sitting to meet his wife and son. That was something I will always cherish.
      Great guy indeed. Went to middle school with him. Even back then you could tell he had a special knowledge of the game.

Comment

• Originally posted by shockerfan View Post
        WTH is encouraging about this??? I love Taylor but disagree...

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post

WTH is encouraging about this??? I love Taylor but disagree...
          I think the "encouraging sign" was that WSU has an above average offense despite having a very bad 3-point % and having a lack of getting to the line. It appears not to be the entire offense, so they know what's really hurting them on that side of the ball and work on that more. It could be worse, I guess. Hard to imagine I know.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

I think the "encouraging sign" was that WSU has an above average offense despite having a very bad 3-point % and having a lack of getting to the line. It appears not to be the entire offense, so they know what's really hurting them on that side of the ball and work on that more. It could be worse, I guess. Hard to imagine I know.
            What is not encouraging is the fact that I do not think the 3 point % is capable of being improved because a) the ability isn't there and/or b) the coaching isn't there.

Comment

What is not encouraging is the fact that I do not think the 3 point % is capable of being improved because a) the ability isn't there and/or b) the coaching isn't there.
              I Struggle a bit with A. I think the ability IS there ..

Porter, Walton and Okafor have been decent from 3.

Pierre is shooting 18% but shot a decent 33% on 4 to 7 3pt attempts per game his first 2 years in D1.

Bell is shooting 7% but shot 36% on 3 Attpg last year and 43% on 1.5 his freshman year.

Pohto is at 14% but shot 30% last year

Rojas has always been a bad shooter.

Pierre and Bell might have got those numbers in lower leagues .. but we haven't exactly faced murders row either. If they can regress to their averages from there, that opens up a huge opportunity for us. Now will that happen? I'm not hopeful.

Comment

• The problem with our offense is too much one on one or dribble drive that leads to a forced shot. Assists and baskets will come if we feed the post and kick it Out to an open shooter. Everyone looks to first shoot rather than pass, and this leads to bad shots with no rebounders in paint. We may have several good outside shooters, but we need ball movement and player movement for this offense to work. Until this problem is fixed we will continue to hover around .500 and shoot poorly.

Comment

• There is no post to feed

Comment

• Pohto, Poor Bear and any of supposed power forwards

Comment

• Originally posted by asiseeit View Post
                      There is no post to feed
                      Pohto is good. He would play minutes anywhere. He just needs a system.
                      People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by silk View Post
                        Pohto, Poor Bear and any of supposed power forwards
                        KP cannot post up from the perimeter where he spends most of his time screening and they seldom roll him off of one.........not his fault it's how IB chooses to use him in our offense. Same with IPBC.

Comment

• Originally posted by shock View Post

Pohto is good. He would play minutes anywhere. He just needs a system.
                          I wouldn't say Photo is good. He would definately not play minutes anywhere. Needing a system is proof, in my mind, that a player has serious limits.

Comment

Someone else posted that we had an NBA--scouted kid, top 10 conference all star, and conference d-poy and we couldn't shoot last year either. I don't think its a talent/ability problem. Our lack of players buying in or understanding the system, or the system itself is killing our player's offensive potential, I'm afraid.
                            Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

Someone else posted that we had an NBA--scouted kid, top 10 conference all star, and conference d-poy and we couldn't shoot last year either. I don't think its a talent/ability problem. Our lack of players buying in or understanding the system, or the system itself is killing our player's offensive potential, I'm afraid.
                              See, I think the same thing sometimes, but then I see Taylor’s articles about how we’re straight up one of the worst teams at shooting completely wide open shots. That’s not on the coach or offense or anything imo. That’s up to the player to knock down.

Whatever the case is, it’s not working and I’m ready to see a new coach in if it doesn’t somehow get drastically better.

Comment

• Fg% -
                                Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

This is what I've been thinking. There is an offensive scheme, but it's not executed because it's too complicated.

When Taylor breaks down how a set is supposed to work it's something like somebody sets a screen for a perimeter player who breaks to the basket while the posts set a double screen along the side of the lane. Then the cutter, after going toward the hoop breaks back up the lane past the double screen while the original screener goes to the basket and is wide open for a layup if the point guard is in the precise position to make the pass. Yikes!

Taylor also pointed out that if anybody is out of position or the timing is off, or the point guard doesn't have the precise timing and pace to make the last pass, the play doesn't work. If a play like that is called and the players don't get into the right positions, the play is blown up before it starts. Then it's ad lib time.

Another part of Marshall's system, that IB is "trying" to run, is that it's always a sequence of plays and sets based on what the defense is doing. That takes time to teach and get the players to understand and make the right reads. That's not a good plan with one or two-year players filling the roster.

When a play blows up, which they almost always do, there are 5 guys on the court trying to remember what comes next in the sequence. If the ball goes to an open shooter, there's a doubt whether the pass is part of the next set or if they're supposed to shoot. That shot is not going to go down.

Etienne went from AAC PoY to 3rd team working with our offense and new players trying to run it. Then he went to getting a G-League contract and consideration for an NBA roster spot once he was no longer playing in WSU's system.

Dexter Dennis actually regressed under WSU's system. He did that during a time of massive transfers resulting in a lot of new players who didn't have enough experience to run WSU's offense.

FG% Fr 39.9, So 34.8, Jr 35.7, Sr 35.3, Grad 50.0
                                3FG% Fr 40.0, So 33.6, Jr 33.6, Sr 29.7, Grad 38.9

Getting out of WSU seems to cure shooting issues players have had when they're here.

The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                                We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Working...
                                X