Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who should be Wichita State's Head Coach?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I’ve been giving this some long and deep thought as to who should be the next head basketball coach. After my own research and internal vetting, here is my top 5:

1. Norman Dale (w/Shooter as head assistant)
    2. Coach Carter
    3. Coach Reeves from the White Shadow
    4. Coach from The Fish that Saved Pittsburgh
    5. Jackie Moon

Comment

• Originally posted by pogo View Post
      Still like FAU's Dusty May
      He is a class act, no doubt. Cool, calm and collected.

Comment

• Originally posted by BAShocker View Post
        I’ve been giving this some long and deep thought as to who should be the next head basketball coach. After my own research and internal vetting, here is my top 5:

2. Coach Carter
        5. Jackie Moon
        Also have to consider Pete Bell. Heck of a resume after resigning from Western.
        "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• How is Edwina Franklin not on this list! Eddie is a legend!

Comment

• In a sport that has embraced Bruce Pearl, Bill Self, Sean Miller and other whose programs ran afoul of rules, how can anyone say there's no room for Pitino at the highest level?
            Iona fell to Connecticut in its second NCAA Tournament appearance in three years under Rick Pitino. It's time for Pitino to move on to a bigger job.

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
              All that matters is what they have done the last 3-4 years since NIL and the portal became silly. Anything else before that is not applicable in today’s world. Jay Wright wanted no part of redefining how he did his job while some coaches seem to have improved with the new era.

Spradlin actually fits that criteria.
              This will make some people, old schoolers like me, bristle with a feeling of supreme uncomfortability. How dare you say we accept change.

Except that you are 100% correct. Old school thought processes are going the way of the dinosaur. You better be able to adapt or start fresh and that's why considering younger, underdeveloped and or fresh staffs are the more likely path to success in the current landscape.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

You better be able to adapt or start fresh and that's why considering younger, underdeveloped and or fresh staffs are the more likely path to success in the current landscape.
                Don't disagree but it also introduces more risk that things don't work out...risk/reward scenario.

Comment

I’ve been giving this some long and deep thought as to who should be the next head basketball coach. After my own research and internal vetting, here is my top 5:

2. Coach Carter
                  5. Jackie Moon
                  When you have a thought this strong, you need to stick the landing.

1.David Greene (Cadwallader University, Katz's Delicatessen) In his 1st season he got D.C. Dacey, Bernard King & Michael Warren with $50/win and a pound of weed. Imagine what he would do with a robust NIL.
                  2.Pete Bell (Western University) Learned from his mistakes and would thrive in today's NIL era.
                  3.Jock Delaney (Pittsburgh Pythons) Let's face it, anyone with a young Stockard Channing on the sidelines with the astrology scout is going to win, and win big.
                  4. Bo Winnegar (Nevada State) Perennial Top 10 Program in the Country, really strong in the portal. A little old school but a winner.
                  5. Normal Dale (Hickory Hoosiers, Ithica Warriors) Wins everywhere but NIL and diversity could be sticking points.
                  Last edited by WuDrWu; March 18, 2023, 10:14 AM.

Comment

• What’s Jesus Shuttlesworth up to these days??

or Billy Hoyle??
                    The Assman

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

When you have a thought this strong, you need to stick the landing.

1.David Greene (Cadwallader University, Katz's Delicatessen) In his 1st season he got D.C. Dacey, Bernard King & Michael Warren. Imagine what he would do with a robust NIL.
                      2.Pete Bell (Western University) Learned from his mistakes and would thrive in today's NIL era.
                      3.Jock Delaney (Pittsburgh Pythons) Let's face it, anyone with a young Stockard Channing on the sidelines with the astrology scout is going to win, and win big.
                      4. Bo Winnegar (Nevada State) Perennial Top 10 Program in the Country, really strong in the portal. A little old school but a winner.
                      5. Normal Dale (Hickory Hoosiers, Ithica Warriors) Wins everywhere but NIL and diversity could be sticking points.
                      Nice…nicely done, Doc! I’ll do better next time.

Admittedly, who almost made my list was Tripper, from the movie Meatballs. He kept his team, Camp North Star, against perennial power, Camp Mowhawk, in the game by recognizing that Fink was their “hot hand”, making roughly their only basket in the game. He makes good in-game adjustments.

Comment

Nice…nicely done, Doc! I’ll do better next time.

Admittedly, who almost made my list was Tripper, from the movie Meatballs. He kept his team, Camp North Star, against perennial power, Camp Mowhawk, in the game by recognizing that Fink was their “hot hand”, making roughly their only basket in the game. He makes good in-game adjustments.
                        Excellent point, unfortunately the coordinated de-pantsing of his opponent after the tip makes his candidacy a non-starter. See NMSU about a month ago.

Comment

• Originally posted by ABC View Post
                          What about a coach from a different sport? Gene Keady never played basketball at K-State and went on to coach Purdue for 25 years.

And recently I've been watching this documentary about an American football coach who has success as a soccer coach in England.

Just a thought.
                          If that’s what we are doing, my vote is for Bob Green of Montana Tech.
                          People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• I mean, I would vote to bring Lasso back!
                            "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

• Originally posted by shock View Post

If that’s what we are doing, my vote is for Bob Green of Montana Tech.
                              Those interviews are priceless.

For those who may not be aware, this is what he’s referencing:

"In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• I keep telling myself to trust our new ADKS simply because so far so good on his abilities thus far...but the longer this goes on I'm getting a bit nervous about who he ultimately winds up hiring. The good thing is ADKS has most likely truly identified what is needed to excite the fan base and put butts back in the seats.

It seems at this particular time in Shocker basketball history...the new coach has got to be a big personality within the community. Notably because our last coach did not have that charisma. Not necessarily a larger than life 3G type personality...but definitely a new coach that exemplifies passion and confidence than former coach IB did.

I have trust...lets get our man and GO SHOCKS!!!
                                FINAL FOURS:
                                1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                                1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                                Number of Times Ranked: 157
                                Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                                Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                                Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                                #3 - Dec. 2017
                                #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                                #2 ~ March 2014
                                Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Working...
                                X