Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who should be Wichita State's Head Coach?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doesn't sound like Turgeon is all that into coaching again, though he didn't rule it out completely.

Inside MD Sports - Former Maryland basketball coach Mark Turgeon returning to the sideline on Tuesday

Turgeon is listed as the TV analyst for the Ball State-Toledo game on Tuesday, according to a CBS crew sheet obtained by InsideMDSports. It's the first foray into broadcasting for Turgeon, who has been keeping a low profile since leaving Maryland in November 2021 after 10-plus seasons. The 57-year-old Turgeon hasn't spoken publicly about his time at Maryland or his abrupt exit, though he did speak publicly for the first time in December, while being inducted into his high school's hall of fame in Topeka, Kan.

"I was extremely burned out, I did it for a long time,'' Turgeon told Rick Peterson of TopSports. "I promised my wife I would take a full year off so I'm trying to do that, and then I'm going to try to get involved in some different things."

The game, at Toledo, is the Mid-American Conference opener for a pair of 9-4 teams and airs at 7 p.m. on CBS Sports Network. According to the crew sheet, Turgeon will with another name familiar to Terps fans, longtime local sports personality and Maryland alum Chick Hernandez.
    "Whether I coach again we'll see, but it's not where I'm thinking I absolutely have to do it. It's something that if the right thing comes along and at the right time, and it's the best thing for my family, we'll do it," he told Peters. "Otherwise, I'm content with my career. I had a good career, I had a lot of fun doing it."
    I'm still not in favor of Turgeon returning, but since some would support it and it's been brought up I figured this was worth sharing.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• This is bound to make some of us feel old...

Screenshot 2023-01-03 122907.jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post
        This is bound to make some of us feel old...

Screenshot 2023-01-03 122907.jpg
        His daughter was born when CKA opened. She’s now a freshman in college.

78-65

Comment

• Originally posted by BostonWu View Post

Perhaps. I tend to think that are simply a lot of uneducated fans.
          What’s the diff?

Comment

• "Whether I coach again we'll see, but it's not where I'm thinking I absolutely have to do it. It's something that if the right thing comes along and at the right time, and it's the best thing for my family, we'll do it," he told Peters. "Otherwise, I'm content with my career. I had a good career, I had a lot of fun doing it."

Pretty much checks every box here.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
              "Whether I coach again we'll see, but it's not where I'm thinking I absolutely have to do it. It's something that if the right thing comes along and at the right time, and it's the best thing for my family, we'll do it," he told Peters. "Otherwise, I'm content with my career. I had a good career, I had a lot of fun doing it."

Pretty much checks every box here.
              We could do worse. A LOT worse.
              78-65

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post

Could???? We have! A LOT worse and he's still here.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post

We could do better. A LOT better.
                  Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                  Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                  ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                  Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                  Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Like him or not, Turgeon has big name recognition nationally and is a much better coach than he was when at WSU. He or his staff recruited some big time players to Maryland. I have no doubt he would get this shipped steered back into the national spotlight. It’s probably one of the few jobs he would seriously consider.

Comment

• Watching K-State and KU play so well just hurts my soul. We are so significantly below the other D1 programs right now.

Comment

• I'd be okay with Turg and something like this. Three years at 800K/yr with a 200K incentive for each NIT appearance and/or 500K for dancing

Comment

• Mark is 87th all time in wins in men's college basketball. ALL TIME. Not at West Texas.... at 4 different schools against some of the best competition that exists.

If he wants it, REALLY wants it, I challenge anyone to do better.

Comment

• Now I'm starting to get riled up.

Comment

• I don't want Turgeon, I don't want Marshall, and I don't want a Marshall assistant. It reeks of a lack of confidence in ourselves and our AD if our idea of a 'national search' consists of people we've already had in the building. If we had that mentality in the past, we wouldn't have had Turgeon or Marshall.

The time has come to rebuild the program and to get the best coach possible in the building. And that means looking outside our own shadow. We aren't in the MVC anymore, we don't need a local connection to grab a coach, and we aren't so weak or pathetic that we need to crawl back on our knees to beg a past coach to lift us up. Or worse, to beg their assistants, who themselves have issues. Obviously, the same is true of local JuCo coaches. We didn't find Marshall in the tri-county area or from Turgeon's coaching tree.

We are in hot water now precisely because our idea of a national coaching search was to scan the building. And yet, people seem to want to again limit our options to sorting through the local lost and found and begging our exes for forgiveness.

We can poach a coach from another team. We can get a big name. We have the money, we have facilities, we have the fan support, and we have the recent national spotlight. We need to trust the AD, rather than acting like our success is a fluke we don't think can happen again unless we retread our steps exactly and stay on the beaten path.

Right now the names on my tongue are Chris Mack, Jim Beilein, Shaka Smart, and Joe Pasternack. But the point is isn't the names, it the size of the net.

Comment

• Originally posted by CBB_Fan View Post
                                I don't want Turgeon, I don't want Marshall, and I don't want a Marshall assistant. It reeks of a lack of confidence in ourselves and our AD if our idea of a 'national search' consists of people we've already had in the building. If we had that mentality in the past, we wouldn't have had Turgeon or Marshall.

The time has come to rebuild the program and to get the best coach possible in the building. And that means looking outside our own shadow. We aren't in the MVC anymore, we don't need a local connection to grab a coach, and we aren't so weak or pathetic that we need to crawl back on our knees to beg a past coach to lift us up. Or worse, to beg their assistants, who themselves have issues. Obviously, the same is true of local JuCo coaches. We didn't find Marshall in the tri-county area or from Turgeon's coaching tree.

We are in hot water now precisely because our idea of a national coaching search was to scan the building. And yet, people seem to want to again limit our options to sorting through the local lost and found and begging our exes for forgiveness.

We can poach a coach from another team. We can get a big name. We have the money, we have facilities, we have the fan support, and we have the recent national spotlight. We need to trust the AD, rather than acting like our success is a fluke we don't think can happen again unless we retread our steps exactly and stay on the beaten path.

Right now the names on my tongue are Chris Mack, Jim Beilein, Shaka Smart, and Joe Pasternack. But the point is isn't the names, it the size of the net.
                                Cool. But do you have inside knowledge of the shopping budget we have to work with?

Comment

Working...
                                X