Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Realignment Carousel Spins Up again (USC and UCLA to Big 10)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Pretty sure it's not an insider. Just thought both of those were funny lol
    I checked out the first guys twitter, he had pretty much guaranteed Emoni Bates was committing to Louisville. Wouldn't trust him.

Matt Brown was making a joke, but he's usually got some pretty good info if I remember correctly when it comes to these things.

Also, I want Hawaii to be taken care of. I keep putting them in the PAC in my head, but if the PAC blows up who knows what happens to the Rainbow Warriors.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

That moved fast

Comment

Lol at the new conference map tapatalk_2007416248_543x333.jpeg

Comment

dunno why my link isn’t working, but reports are coming out that Washington and Oregon are applying to join Big Ten right now

Comment

Originally posted by ventichai View Post
            dunno why my link isn’t working, but reports are coming out that Washington and Oregon are applying to join Big Ten right now
            That was expected. Which is great for us. Makes it very likely the b12 will poach the remainders and not come for any of the good aac schools

Comment

Originally posted by ventichai View Post
              Interesting to see if Oregon and Washington are attractive to the Big 10. It’s obvious that LA and California have a lot of television sets that would be attractive to the B10. Does Oregon and Washington have that kind of leverage and attractiveness to the B10? Eugene? Portland and Seattle aren’t in the league of LA and California.

Comment

I think this was the first strike of the hammer in the last nail of the coffin for what made college sports great. Pretty sure I’m done, even with WSU stuff. Obvious B10 and SEC will be it’s own thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockm View Post

Interesting to see if Oregon and Washington are attractive to the Big 10. It’s obvious that LA and California have a lot of television sets that would be attractive to the B10. Does Oregon and Washington have that kind of leverage and attractiveness to the B10? Eugene? Portland and Seattle aren’t in the league of LA and California.
                  Portland and Seattle are both larger markets than KC. And as the conferences add, it gets tougher and tougher to find solid additions, Washington and Oregon are both solid. I do think what the B1G would be looking for now are schools that are close to LA relative to the rest of the conference, that are competitive, add value and are complimentary adds to USC and UCLA.

Portland's metro is over 2,500,000 with a CSA of over 3.2 million. Seattle's metro is over 4,000,000. There is no doubt the two schools add value. Oregon, although smaller than Seattle, does bring Nike money with them and both schools win at football. The only other Pac schools that might be attractive are Arizona, Arizona State, Cal and possibly Stanford. Although Colorado brings the Denver metro, Buff fans are some of the fairest weather anywhere. And since Colorado is mediocre more often than good, that poses a problem.

This whole thing has become a dumpster fire.
                  There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by MoValley John View Post

Portland and Seattle are both larger markets than KC.
                    So, Both Oregon and Washington are more likely to the Big 10 than KU? Sure they are.

Oregon WINS, and Washington, not so much. It all depends on how large the B10 wants to get. I think that many of these entities are miscalculating the interest of fans. In the end ( if they end up with 40-50 schools that can compete for the National Championship), they will have less interest, and fewer people interested in Div. 1 Football. The reason that the NCAA Tournament is so popular is that there are so many schools involved, but that means money spread out amongst more schools which gets each school less money.

They are taking regional rivalries out of it, and it won't work in the end.

The Football playing schools want to get to the money that is in Professional Football, and they are miscalculating the interest of the average fan. I could care less about Alabama football until the NFL Draft comes around.

Comment

Originally posted by shock View Post
                      I am officially on the “WSU to the BEast” bandwagon. Lol
                      WSU basketball picked the wrong time to become irrelevant in college basketball. The BE will not be answering any calls from WSU.

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

WSU basketball picked the wrong time to become irrelevant in college basketball. The BE will not be answering any calls from WSU.
                        I think if the investment in programs (particularly basketball) is evident I don’t see why WSU wouldn’t be considered for reasons other than proximity and culture. BE is predominantly private institutions (for now) with the exception being UCONN (which is an outlier). If the BE sees potential in WSU, especially with the investment made in leadership, I don’t think it’s impossible. Look at Gonzaga: while everyone has their eyeballs on USC/UCLA/Washington/Oregon and all these other PAC 12/BIG 12 institutions, Gonzaga is staying mum and fulfilling their WCC commitment (at least for now). I think the question becomes is it worth shaking things up to join the BE considering the jump to the AAC is still recent, there’s new leadership, and everyone else is playing musical chairs. I think it is, under the right circumstances. If WSU sees an opportunity to join the BE with another proven institution (see Gonzaga), then I could see it happening.
                        Last edited by ventichai; July 1, 2022, 10:48 AM.

Comment

So, Both Oregon and Washington are more likely to the Big 10 than KU? Sure they are.

Oregon WINS, and Washington, not so much. It all depends on how large the B10 wants to get. I think that many of these entities are miscalculating the interest of fans. In the end ( if they end up with 40-50 schools that can compete for the National Championship), they will have less interest, and fewer people interested in Div. 1 Football. The reason that the NCAA Tournament is so popular is that there are so many schools involved, but that means money spread out amongst more schools which gets each school less money.

They are taking regional rivalries out of it, and it won't work in the end.

The Football playing schools want to get to the money that is in Professional Football, and they are miscalculating the interest of the average fan. I could care less about Alabama football until the NFL Draft comes around.
                          This is all football driven. 100% football driven. I really don't know why Kansas fans don't understand this. About five years ago, KU knew that they were in a bad spot. They tried to raise $350 million to upgrade facilities. It was an utter failure because boosters wouldn't shell out money unless it went to basketball first. Quite myopic.

This really isn't that hard, football has been leading this since day one. The media deals are essentially 70% football and 30% everything else. So when the Big 10, Big 12, SEC, ACC, Pac 10 draft media deals, they think football. When those conferences consider expansion, they think football. Kansas brings zero football to the table.

You say you don't value football, and thats fine, you watch what you want to watch. The networks, however, value football. The networks pay for football. If the networks value and pay for football, expansion is going to follow who is available with marketable football, with population bases to increase viewership.
                          There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

WSU isn't even in the top 5 of BE expansion candidates, and may not crack the top 10. Culture matters to them. UCon had a long history with them which made them a tolerable exception for the conference.

Travel costs skyrocket compared to the AAC and I don't think the payout from the BE is enough to make that worth it. If payouts remained the same as they currently are, we would get a little more, but not a significant amount. The numbers crunchers at WSU would have to figure that out.

And as has been pointed out before, we would completely remove our athletics from the footprint in which we recruit students. I'm not sure the University would see that as a plus, on top of increased costs and student-athlete time away from school. I can almost guarantee that WSU leadership loves that there will be four schools in Texas, and all apart of the Texas Triangle, along with the one in Oklahoma.

I don't see the University looking to move unless there is a major AAC shakeup. And even then, I don't see us on the BE radar.
                            Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                            RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                            Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                            ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                            Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                            Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by MoValley John View Post
                              You say you don't value football, and thats fine, you watch what you want to watch. The networks, however, value football. The networks pay for football. If the networks value and pay for football, expansion is going to follow who is available with marketable football, with population bases to increase viewership.
                              Who said I didn't value football? I love football. However, I will watch my professional football on Sunday, Monday Night, and Thursday Night. You can count the number of college football teams who draw a national crowd on one, or perhaps two hands. I do not root for a college football team, and could care less on Saturday's, and even less than that the rest of the week.

Nebraska used to be important outside the boundaries of Nebraska, and that goes for most college football teams.

Comment

Who said I didn't value football? I love football. However, I will watch my professional football on Sunday, Monday Night, and Thursday Night. You can count the number of college football teams who draw a national crowd on one, or perhaps two hands. I do not root for a college football team, and could care less on Saturday's, and even less than that the rest of the week.

Nebraska used to be important outside the boundaries of Nebraska, and that goes for most college football teams.
                                My comment, based on your original post, was meant to imply that you don't value college football specifically. Personally, I don't like the direction any of this is going, but its pretty interesting.

Kansas isn't the only basketball first "blueblood" that is at risk. So is Duke, albeit Duke is better protected because the ACC teams forfeit their media rights until 2036 if they leave. That locks in a lot of teams that would bolt the conference tomorrow. Unfortunately, if the ACC survives, those schools could be on the outside looking in at the two "superconferences" being formed.

I would be interested to know if there are rules in the ACC that discuss disbanding. If so, the B1G and SEC could collude to pick apart that conference with the best football schools voting to end the conference, splitting up between the SEC and B1G. Two conferences, 48 teams, no Kansas or Duke among them.

Comment

Working...
                                X