The Next AD - A Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ShoxRoxMySox View Post
    If this is the hire we all hope it is, I'll give a ton of credit to all involved for making it happen and stepping up the investment for AD. I know Saal hasn't done much beyond interviews yet, but it's nice to feel optimistic and excited about watching things develop going forward.
    I honestly haven't felt anything like this for the AD since Schaus.

And I think someone said it previously, but I think we've heard more from Saal already than we ever heard from Boatright during his years at the helm.

He seems optimistic and ambitious. Seems to believe in transparency and always pushing for more, for better. I've read some stuff from his time at Murray State and it's much the same. If things don't get better, it won't be for a lack of trying.

And again, I can't wait until we start hearing more specifics on some of his ideas. I'm not pushing to hear anything now, I'm just that excited about what his vision is going to be once he officially takes control and has talked to everyone he needs to talk to within athletics. You know he's already talked about Kristi and Wilkins Stadium. He's going to have plans for Cessna. I know plans already kind of exist, but Saal may actually get it done. What else needs done that we haven't heard about? What else may he come up with to improve upon the good things? How quick will he be to set goals for coaches and take action if they fail to achieve them?

This guy isn't going to be sitting on his hands and wishing for success. He's going to do everything in his power to make success happen.

I need to calm down.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

I honestly haven't felt anything like this for the AD since Schaus.

And I think someone said it previously, but I think we've heard more from Saal already than we ever heard from Boatright during his years at the helm.

He seems optimistic and ambitious. Seems to believe in transparency and always pushing for more, for better. I've read some stuff from his time at Murray State and it's much the same. If things don't get better, it won't be for a lack of trying.

And again, I can't wait until we start hearing more specifics on some of his ideas. I'm not pushing to hear anything now, I'm just that excited about what his vision is going to be once he officially takes control and has talked to everyone he needs to talk to within athletics. You know he's already talked about Kristi and Wilkins Stadium. He's going to have plans for Cessna. I know plans already kind of exist, but Saal may actually get it done. What else needs done that we haven't heard about? What else may he come up with to improve upon the good things? How quick will he be to set goals for coaches and take action if they fail to achieve them?

This guy isn't going to be sitting on his hands and wishing for success. He's going to do everything in his power to make success happen.

I need to calm down.
      "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• boatright.png

Comment

• There is a reason he is getting 350k. He just might be worth it.
          People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Here's a direct link to the new contract - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gbC...r58tcpLv5/view (the contract and link can be found in the article at https://amp.kansas.com/sports/colleg...262802718.html)
            Not responsible for damage from posts that sail over the reader's head.

Comment

• I'm with Sub on this one. I haven't heard anything this good since JS as well. ES and DB were mere ghosts compared to what Saal has shown and he isn't even on the job officially yet. Nice to see the bump in the job salary as well. Now all he has to do is earn it.

Comment

• How does this salary compare to the other ADs in the AAC?

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

Gotta be upfront with me if he wants to get past first base.
                  So he's been to first base.. hmmm????

Comment

• He better be worth it. Frankly, we couldn't afford the previous AD salary (we couldn't afford not having it either, I get that). Now we're paying 2 AD salaries and 2 much, much larger men's basketball salaries.

And EVERY program is underfunded, budget wise for the current academic season/year. EVERY program.

We don't have the money to pay the basic needs of the student athletes and the staff that supports them. That can't change in 3 years. It has to change in 3 months.

And now we add NIL. And for all our screaming, 99% of this board isn't/can't affect either, much less both. That's not intended to be a knock on anyone here (or everyone here), it's just the world today.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                      He better be worth it. Frankly, we couldn't afford the previous AD salary (we couldn't afford not having it either, I get that). Now we're paying 2 AD salaries and 2 much, much larger men's basketball salaries.

And EVERY program is underfunded, budget wise for the current academic season/year. EVERY program.

We don't have the money to pay the basic needs of the student athletes and the staff that supports them. That can't change in 3 years. It has to change in 3 months.

And now we add NIL. And for all our screaming, 99% of this board isn't/can't affect either, much less both. That's not intended to be a knock on anyone here (or everyone here), it's just the world today.
                      I’ll say this, sunk cost apparently means NOTHING to Muma, which is good if you hit, bad if you miss.
                      People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by shock View Post

I’ll say this, sunk cost apparently means NOTHING to Muma, which is good if you hit, bad if you miss.
                        I agree. Very tough decision and it was made with gusto. That has to be appreciated and applauded, even if it ends up failing.

Comment

• I get what you're saying Doc, but I get the feeling Saal is going to reinvigorate the donor base and things will start to pick up. Results will still be needed, but Schaus was able to sell a vision before there were results and get people to open up their wallets and I'm not putting that past Saal to be able to do.
                          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• I just hope and pray we can avoid mediocrity. If we ain't great at something, let's please please suck at it so we have the guts to make changes.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                              He better be worth it. Frankly, we couldn't afford the previous AD salary (we couldn't afford not having it either, I get that). Now we're paying 2 AD salaries and 2 much, much larger men's basketball salaries.

And that is exactly why WSU needed to pay up to make a quality hire that at least has a puncher's chance of overcoming the very significant challenges facing the WSU athletic program. The other alternative was to go on the cheap and prepare for further hemorrhaging and gradual decline in the patient's health. I think it's worth taking one really good swing for the fences and if that doesn't work out make an honest assessment of where we are and move on from there which might not be pretty to many fans.

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                                I get what you're saying Doc, but I get the feeling Saal is going to reinvigorate the donor base and things will start to pick up. Results will still be needed, but Schaus was able to sell a vision before there were results and get people to open up their wallets and I'm not putting that past Saal to be able to do.
                                I'm hopeful. I don't think there's much doubt that's a big reason he was hired. To fix those bridges that have been broken. All I'm saying is that it must happen quickly.

Comment

Working...
                                X