• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2022-23 Bracketology

2023 NCAA TOURNAMENT BRACKETOLOGY - ESPN

BY JOE LUNARDI
    UPDATED: 4/19/2022 AT 08:00 A.M. ET

"It is, of course, a fool's errand to compile any kind of "next year" bracket in college basketball. It takes an even bigger fool to attempt one with over 1,000 Division I players in the transfer portal. All of which suggests I am perfect for the job, as making an annual April fool of myself has become a true occupational hazard. That said, since doing the first "next year" bracket way back in 2005, we average right around two No. 1 seeds per year landing in the same spot on Selection Sunday (and about 20 at-large teams overall). Think of this merely as a starting point for the long wait until November, when the real fun begins again...."

Teams of Interest
    1-seed Houston (National Championship is in Houston this year)
    8-seed Oklahoma State
    9-seed Memphis

Originally posted by WuShock Reaper View Post

BY JOE LUNARDI
    UPDATED: 4/19/2022 AT 08:00 A.M. ET

"It is, of course, a fool's errand to compile any kind of "next year" bracket in college basketball. It takes an even bigger fool to attempt one with over 1,000 Division I players in the transfer portal. All of which suggests I am perfect for the job, as making an annual April fool of myself has become a true occupational hazard. That said, since doing the first "next year" bracket way back in 2005, we average right around two No. 1 seeds per year landing in the same spot on Selection Sunday (and about 20 at-large teams overall). Think of this merely as a starting point for the long wait until November, when the real fun begins again...."

Teams of Interest
    8-seed Oklahoma State
    9-seed Memphis
    Memphis loses Duran, Bates, Nolley, Harris, Timberlake and likely Minnott and Quinones. They’ll be mid pack AAC at best unless they have some serious studs coming in to replace all these guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post

Memphis loses Duran, Bates, Nolley, Harris, Timberlake and likely Minnott and Quinones. They’ll be mid pack AAC at best unless they have some serious studs coming in to replace all these guys.
      If you gave him some truth serum, I wonder if Alex Lomax would admit regret that he stayed home to play for Penny.
      78-65

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post

If you gave him some truth serum, I wonder if Alex Lomax would admit regret that he stayed home to play for Penny.
        No idea considering how everything played out at WSU during the same timeframe.

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post

It's not like Penny benched him. Lomax still got lots of minutes.

Comment

NCAA Bracketology - Projecting the 2023 March Madness men's field (espn.com)
            BY JOE LUNARDI
            UPDATED: 6/14/2022 AT 07:00 A.M. ET

Teams of Interest
            9-seed Oklahoma State
            11-seed Memphis (Last Four In)

First Four Out
            None

Next Four Out
            Tulane (2nd Spot)
            Cincinnati (4th Spot)

Others of Interest
            12-seed UAB

Comment

So weird not being in the predictions the last couple years. Come on Shockers...get us back!!!
              FINAL FOURS:
              1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
              1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
              Number of Times Ranked: 157
              Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
              Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
              Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
              #3 - Dec. 2017
              #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
              #2 ~ March 2014
              Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Originally posted by AZ Shocker View Post
                So weird not being in the predictions the last couple years. Come on Shockers...get us back!!!
                Torvik projects WSU as 0.500 team, 113 in the nation.

Porter 12.2 ppg
                Rogers 12.6
                Pohto 10.7
                Bell 9.4

If WSU is to overachieve, then maybe we see Jalen Ricks be a force

Comment

I'd take .500, I'm predicting a 10-12 win season.

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

Porter 12.2 ppg
                    Rogers 12.6
                    Pohto 10.7
                    Bell 9.4

That seems like a fair projection
                    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

Porter 12.2 ppg
                      Rogers 12.6
                      Pohto 10.7
                      Bell 9.4

I think a successful year would be something comparable to the 2018-2019 season where the team returned only two rotation players (Markis McDuffie and Samajae Haynes-Jones) and qualified for the NIT. The 2018-2019 team featured a ton of Freshmen, and this roster features a heavy dose of transfers. A lot of pressure on HCIB to make the roster gel and find the most effective lineups.

I too am excited about the potential of Jalen Ricks. With all the new players vying for minutes, the odds are favorable that at least a few will be successful at the AAC-level.

Comment

chemistry will be the key. A lot of times when you have a fresh batch of players, everyone is trying to prove themselves early on. IB needs to have a ton of discipline and a short leash on ball hogging players in order to get the most out of this roster.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                          chemistry will be the key. A lot of times when you have a fresh batch of players, everyone is trying to prove themselves early on. IB needs to have a ton of discipline and a short leash on ball hogging players in order to get the most out of this roster.
                          Is that a reasonable expectation?

Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

Is that a reasonable expectation?
                            Considering there should be more than eight players in the rotation, and everyone except CP3 has been recruited by HCIB, I am hoping to see more accountability this season. It's tough to pull starters when the bench guys aren't very good. As I've said before, this season should definitively tell us who IB is as a coach.

Comment

No, the Shocks will stink… don’t you know IB can’t coach???

Comment

Working...
                              X