Team Leadership

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Team Leadership

Let's see there's ...uh...uh...Clemente? A guy who's played almost 1/2 a season here? It's really hard not to defer to players who've been here longer.

Braeuer can provide moral support, but he's not on the court. Thomasson is only in his second year. Surely there's a Sr somewhere who could take this team, lead by example and insist the rest of the team refuse to lose.

Compared to his first 3 years, I don't see the drive, competitiveness, hustle or desire Cooz used to show. The coaching change was probably harder on Cooz than any other player. Whether he wants the role of leader or not, he's got it. He's the All-Valley Sr. who was supposed to be a PoY contender.

Cooz seems to be going through the motions. Is there a developing pattern of drawing 2 quick, often pointless, fouls then sitting down in the first half? Then in the second half drawing a quick, often pointless, foul and sitting down again?

If Cooz has packed it in and just doesn't feel like sprinting up and down the court for 34 minutes and found a way to avoid that, then that attitude will spread through the team.

I think Cooz may have been willing to work harder for the previous staff than the current staff. The current staff has probably figured that out. There could be some resentment on both sides.

I'm not going to lay fault on either side. That stuff happens with coaching changes, or with changes of supervisors at work, or in many other life situations. Sometimes 2 good pieces just don't fit together.

If Cooz has it on cruise control for his Sr year, then that's the way it's going to be. It's going to rub off on the rest of the team. It's going to be a long season.

There's a reason you wait for a coach to bring in his own players before judging the coach. Sometimes the existing players and the new coach just don't see eye-to-eye and teams suffer until recruiting solves the problem.
    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Yeah, not the same Cooz.

Comment

Particularly with MB off the court, we have no "in your face" leaders.

Next season I expect Clemente and Hawkins to be those types of guys. I expect Hannah to be a "cheerleader" type - staying positive and leading by example.

Comment

Mystifying.....
        Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

I didn't see the game tonight, but I think that Cooz's effort in the Ill St. game was top-notch (even if he did miss a couple of ill-timed chippies), and in the Bradley game he was great. Although there may not be the consistency of results as in the past (partially due to foul trouble), it isn't as if there has been no effort. Without Cooz's play, this season would be unimaginably bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker Rocker
            I didn't see the game tonight, but I think that Cooz's effort in the Ill St. game was top-notch (even if he did miss a couple of ill-timed chippies), and in the Bradley game he was great. Although there may not be the consistency of results as in the past (partially due to foul trouble), it isn't as if there has been no effort. Without Cooz's play, this season would be unimaginably bad.
            I'm sure everyone wants Cooz to be Cooz, and our frustration may be unfairly harsh, but the silly/lazy fouls he is committing this year are so UN-Cooz like that defies logical explanation...... the team lives and dies based on Matt's and Cooz's performance. Without Matt out, a poor showing by Cooz is a death sentence for our team this year....

:goshocks: :goshocks: :goshocks: :goshocks: :goshocks:
            Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

At this point in a career, there is no excuse for picking up silly fouls early in a game. There really is no excuse for allowing your team to go 6 minutes without a field goal. Not if you see yourself in the NBA.

You have to demand the ball like Larry Bird. The old "Get me the ball and get the h-e-l-l out of the way" play. And if you do try that, blindly chucking the ball toward the basket to get fouled (and missing) then bricking two free throws doesn't count for anything.

Comment

This is a contagious virus. Tonight we put two halves together that were as bad as the first half at Bradley. The fire and brimstone halftime speech there showed these guys that they know how to play.

Diminishing returns can be expected since you know the fire and brimstone is going to be necessary to use again and again with these guys. It might get worse before it gets better.

It makes me wonder if someone outside the team is talking to PJ.

Comment

I don't really think Cooz has been much of a leader all year. I do think he finally showed the Cooz he can be in the 2nd half at Bradley. I just have such a hard time understanding why he shows up just half of the time. That is not like Cooz. My other concern is the shooting. I just don't understand what is so hard about putting the ball in the hoop. IT has to be a MENTAL THING-----this team needs a sports psychologist and fast.

Comment

That's occurred to me too.
                    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh
                      Steve Eck?

Comment

Maybe pre-season expectations of Cooz coming on so strong were just unrealistic and wishful thinking (he's a solid player I know). He has shown some solid efforts this year. I agree about the silly fouls, but against Bradley he looked great in the second half. Ever since the beginning of his time here I've had nothing but respect for his efforts... remember last season how he gutted it out and played with the thumb problem? Granted he wasn't at 100%, but he did what he could and many people (including myself) were grateful for his efforts.

I'm sure no one is more disappointed in PJ's performance than PJ. With that said, I'd be thrilled to see some of that spark we saw in years past... we could use some sparks right now. He seems--like the rest of the team right now--to be suffering from a confidence problem. Unfortunately the longer they take to get it sorted out, the l-o-n-g-e-r the season is going to go for us fans.

Comment

Originally posted by shockar25
                          Maybe pre-season expectations of Cooz coming on so strong were just unrealistic and wishful thinking (he's a solid player I know). .
                          No they are not. Cooz IS one of if not THE BEST all around player in this league.

That is not unrealistic but a simple fact. Anything less that POY would be an insult. Even though we know that award goes to the team that wins the league and its safe to say everybody *including capt optimism myself" knew that is something we were not going to do.

You could look on his face tonight and see the frustration.

It was either that or "I Dont Care" look

Comment

Originally posted by ABC
                            Originally posted by Aargh
                            Steve Eck?
                            RipEmUpShox or Newshock6789? We know they're talking to Gal.
                            "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Pj was hit hardest, by far, with the coaching change and the way last season unfolded.

Since then, he has endured an extremely tough year and has struggled overcoming all the difficulties that are associated with his life.

For reasons that most of us will never understand, he has not been able so far to overcome these difficulties.

I believe he felt extremely betrayed by what happened last season and he is still trying to cope with those feelings even today.

What he needs now, more than anything, is a supportive group around him and to do everything possible to continue towards getting his degree. Nothing is more important than that at this point.

Bringing up the "NBA discussions" is nothing but counterproductive at this point, I promise.

Comment

Working...
                              X