Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WuTheOne
    replied
    When we had a conference championship and the returning AAC PoY, IB was able to pull in Joe Pleasant and Qua Grant out of the portal. Now we have a last-place team and a no-name coach. I wouldn't get too excited about l;osing guys to the portal and replacing them.

Looking at some substitution patterns and some player management situations, the guys you want to stay, RCIV, KP, and CJ are probably the most likely to be gone.

Leave a comment:

• Kel Varnsen
    replied
    Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
    No way Jans is going to be hired with the present AD.

I still remember the undefeated regular season and the fun it was. Hold tightly to those memories. It going to be a sucky half-decade (at least) on Shockernet. Let hope baseball can come back.
    Not if I win the Powerball. Fingers crossed.

Leave a comment:

• ShockTalk
    replied
    Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post

I’m far from an IB or DB apologist, but we didn’t pay $1.5m to a rookie coach. $1m this season and next. $1.25m for Years 3 and 4. $1.5m for Year 5.
    Thanks. I should have remembered that. So, maybe my example in the second paragraph would have a better chance to fly. I also wouldn't have as big of hesitation with a 3-year guarantee to an experienced, successful head coach. Brown's buyout clause is inexcusable.

Leave a comment:

• SB Shock
    replied
    No way Jans is going to be hired with the present AD.

I still remember the undefeated regular season and the fun it was. Hold tightly to those memories. It going to be a sucky half-decade (at least) on Shockernet. Let hope baseball can come back.

Leave a comment:

• SHOXAAC
    replied
    Originally posted by ABC View Post

You base this certainty on what exactly ?
    Great question and thanks for holding me accountable. It's just a gut feeling. I don't think he is anything but a little above average coach. I believe he is poisoned by being a P5 coach for so long and that he would not look at this point to go down a rung in his mind. Turg was here. He got us out of a hole, but wasn't willing or capable of lifting us to the level Marshall did. His ship has sailed. My guess there is so many other potential candidates that can get us back on the trajectory of top-notch basketball.

Leave a comment:

• Onegreatracer
    replied
    Would take Turg in a heartbeat right now

Leave a comment:

• WuShock16
    replied
    Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

Thanks. I did miss your other post. Nevertheless, DB set the goal post at $1.5 mill for a rookie head coach. Had he set this lower and gave him a $250,000 bonus for winning the conference and making the NCAA with a $1.25 base, we could have gone lower.

Frankly, the contract is a mess as others have pointed out. Seeing Jans at what he makes, starting out at $1 mill plus incentives with much less buyouts for a rookie head coach would have given us more wiggle room on the next coach. Maybe I'm all wrong on this, but with what we now know about our conference's future, we are kind of between a rock and a hard place.
    I’m far from an IB or DB apologist, but we didn’t pay $1.5m to a rookie coach. $1m this season and next. $1.25m for Years 3 and 4. $1.5m for Year 5.

Leave a comment:

• Ashockalypse
    replied
    Turg sucks. He got fired. He doesn’t even believe we are top level. His last team sucked . For all the silly Sh!$ I hear on here about Marshall’s last years being so shitty, several want to give Turg a pass even though he couldn’t hold a candle to Gregg.

Jans.
    Last edited by Ashockalypse; January 17, 2022, 02:51 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ABC
    replied
    Originally posted by SHOXAAC View Post
    Not a chance.
    You base this certainty on what exactly ?

Leave a comment:

• ShockTalk
    replied
    Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

See my post made seconds before your above post. Some provided this link in another thread.
    Thanks. I did miss your other post. Nevertheless, DB set the goal post at $1.5 mill for a rookie head coach. Had he set this lower and gave him a $250,000 bonus for winning the conference and making the NCAA with a $1.25 base, we could have gone lower.

Frankly, the contract is a mess as others have pointed out. Seeing Jans at what he makes, starting out at $1 mill plus incentives with much less buyouts for a rookie head coach would have given us more wiggle room on the next coach. Maybe I'm all wrong on this, but with what we now know about our conference's future, we are kind of between a rock and a hard place.

Leave a comment:

• Shocktheheck
    replied
    We blew our chance to get a decent coach by not doing a national search last year while the iron was hot. By that meaning we 'won' the American and had the POY returning, several positives to attract some nice resumes. But now if we were to do a search, I really don't see any household names throwing their hat into this mess. Although I would love to see Turg back in CKA.

Leave a comment:

• SHOXAAC
    replied
    Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post

It's not as far-fetched as you might think. Turg. loved this program and wanted to come back after he left. He loves Kansas. He'd probably coach us for 1.75M'ish. Don't expect amazing results though. There won't be any Play Angry, and there certainly won't be any ChicKUn Hack beatdowns. But there will be Play Competent.
    Unplug.

Leave a comment:

• SHOXAAC
    replied
    Originally posted by ABC View Post

You are talking about Turgeon, correct? Poisoned? Really. I give it a 50% chance he is WSU's coach before he retires.
    Not a chance.

Leave a comment:

• 1972Shocker
    replied
    Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

No idea. However, the $1.5 mill (with low incentives) would probably be the bottom as we have set the bar at least that high. Just spitballin', but if he is as high as $750,000 now, the higher he might be from that, the higher the $s it's going to take him (or anyone).

Again, we have set the bar at $1.5 mill (with no incentives to get that) for a 1st year head coach. This is the disaster that Boatwrong has got WSU into.
    See my post made seconds before your above post. Some provided this link in another thread.

Leave a comment:

• ShockTalk
    replied
    Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

How much does Chris Jans make at NMSU. Of course, the way Chris is going he may get be such a hot commodity he will be out of our reach anyway.
    No idea. However, the $1.5 mill (with low incentives) would probably be the bottom as we have set the bar at least that high. Just spitballin', but if he is as high as $750,000 now, the higher he might be from that, the higher the $s it's going to take him (or anyone).

Again, we have set the bar at $1.5 mill (with no incentives to get that) for a 1st year head coach. This is the disaster that Boatwrong has got WSU into.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X