No announcement yet.

Tulane at Wichita State Game Thread 1-12-22

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, you would rather have TE take an awkward heavily guarded fling at the end than
    KP with a wide open three attempt????? They had him SMOTHERED or were you watching?

Comment

• Some random thoughts -

- I was looking forward to a free donut today. Instead I called up Hurts Donut and asked them if they gave away a free donut anytime WSU lost after leading at half. The answer is no for anyone wondering about it as well.

- eight may have been enough for Dick Van Patten, but when it comes to basketball, the F Troop (fouls and fatigue) shows up and things go haywire.

- this team is such a joke that the new font on the jersey should be Comic Sans. Or at least make it Wingdings since no one knows what the hell those characters are doing.

- Hunter fired up his players at half with a fiery speech. Our coaches probably huddled until the last minute and then said something to the players.

- Unless he received an unannounced extension, Boatright's contract is up in 5 months.
      Not responsible for damage from posts that sail over the reader's head.

Comment

• Originally posted by shocker43 View Post

We don't know he can shoot. He's made 9 three pointers all season. He ranks 5th on the team in 3 point attempts.

Won shocker madness 3 point contest. This might be the worst argument for more minutes I've ever seen.
        He also ranks 9th in minutes per game. Not sure what you are attempting to prove with the "5th in 3 point attempts" argument.

Anyone with eyeballs and any basketball knowledge knows he can shoot and MAKE threes just by looking at his shooting form. He needs to bulk up and get better on defense, but arguing that he can't shoot is just stupid.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post

Knowledge can change, personality and tendencies typically do not change. Quality corporations don't spend time trying to change people's personalities or tendencies; they understand them and channel them in the most productive way possible.

Self-awareness, self-management, social awareness, and relationship management skills are all personality traits, habits, and tendencies. They can be forged over time, but they are not taught in the academic sense. Trying to formally teach someone those soft skills is a fool's errand.

And if we're having to teach those things to the head coach of the WSU Men's Basketball team, he shouldn't be the head coach.
          You are correct in that personalities are somewhat hardwired, but preferred behaviors can be understood and deciding to change habits of thought in those areas are what makes great leaders in coaching or in business.

Emotional Intelligence is about the science of axiology and are all about attributes not personality traits. Being aware of attributes and how they pertain to critical thinking, decision making and problem solving is definitely something that falls under changing habits of thought, which is done every day in corporate America. You couldn't be more wrong about these being "soft skills" and being "fools errand." I wouldn't have a job if this were true.

Nobody is immune to learning and changing habits of thought, including college basketball coaches. A willingness to adopt being vulnerable to learn such things is the true north star. There are barriers and gaps in the growth journey for all of us. Those who are interested in continuous improvement and are willing to invest the time, effort and energy are the ones that get the "Turn around" stories written about them.

If Brown is driven to change his habits of thought and adopt a continuous improvement strategy there is hope. The question becomes, is he willing to be vulnerable enough to make the change. The jury is watching. I tell people everyday that if you continue to think the way you have always thought, you will continue to get what you always got. Be a change agent and be special...Now back to our regular scheduled programming...

Comment

• Originally posted by asiseeit View Post
            So, you would rather have TE take an awkward heavily guarded fling at the end than
            KP with a wide open three attempt????? They had him SMOTHERED or were you watching?
            A. No, I don't think TE should have got the ball. But that doesn't mean KP should have been in the game.
            B. KP's shots are mostly wide open, and he is only hitting on 29% of them.
            C. TE didn't take a shot. He was smothered and we made the correct play by going to RC4, who had a good game, and made the correct play.
            D. KP played horrible and if he were in the game, drawing a play up for him to win the game would have been the worst possible play to make.

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post

He also ranks 9th in minutes per game. Not sure what you are attempting to prove with the "5th in 3 point attempts" argument.

Anyone with eyeballs and any basketball knowledge knows he can shoot and MAKE threes just by looking at his shooting form. He needs to bulk up and get better on defense, but arguing that he can't shoot is just stupid.
              So your point is that in his little minutes played he's shooting a lot of threes and missing them?

Comment

• Originally posted by shocker43 View Post

So your point is that in his little minutes played he's shooting a lot of threes and missing them?
                You're not comprehending so I am done. I'd rather have KP shooting a three than the chucker who has clearly lost his basketball mind. It doesn't take a basketball genius to see the difference. While TE might be a good three point shooter, his decision making is atrocious.

Comment

You're not comprehending so I am done. I'd rather have KP shooting a three than the chucker who has clearly lost his basketball mind. It doesn't take a basketball genius to see the difference. While TE might be a good three point shooter, his decision making is atrocious.
                  What am I not comprehending? I said he takes a lot, and misses a lot of threes. You said he plays little minutes. So, in his little minutes, he takes a lot, and misses a lot, of threes.

I would rather TE not take contested threes. That doesn't mean the answer is putting KP on the floor with a game winning play made up for him.

Comment

• To be clear I DON"T think a play should have been drawn up specifically for KP.
                    Regardless of current stats I think most of us posters believe that KP is one of our
                    better shooters. Most coaches have their best spot up shooters in the game in
                    this kind of situation. Personally, with 8.2 seconds left and they were doubling TE from the
                    get go I would have given up trying to get him the final shot. They were NOT going
                    to allow him to beat them, SO, I think we should have used him as a DECOY and
                    deployed him on the far side of the court at least 30 feet from the basket. This would
                    have opened up almost the entire front court giving us a four on three advantage to
                    boot. Inbounds to CP and let him attack the free throw line. If they double him we
                    now have three on one elsewhere. If they don't double CP he then has the option to attack
                    the rim or have a nice pull up jumper. KP, RC and Monzy filling up open areas created
                    by advantageous spacing due to TE being doubled far away from the hoop. We should
                    have been able to get a good shot off with 2-3 seconds left and time to follow. I rest my case.
                    Last edited by asiseeit; January 13, 2022, 01:15 PM.

Comment

To be clear I DON"T think a play should have been drawn up specifically for KP.
                      Regardless of current stats I think most of us posters believe that KP is one of our
                      this kind of situation. Personally, with 8.2 seconds left and they were doubling TE from the
                      get go I would have given up trying to get him the final shot. They were NOT going
                      to allow him to beat the, SO, I think we should have used him as a DECOY and
                      deployed him on the far side of the court at least 30 feet from the basket. This would
                      have opened up almost the entire front court giving us a four on three advantage to
                      boot. Inbounds to CP and let him attack the free throw line. If they double him we
                      now have three on one. If they don't double CP he then has the option to attack
                      the rim or have a nice pull up jumper. KP, RC and Monzy filling up open areas created
                      by advantageous spacing due to TE being doubled far away from the hoop. We should
                      have been able to get a good shot off with 2-3 seconds left and time to follow. I rest my case.
                      Thank you for bringing some sanity to this. Nobody is saying KP should have been taking the three at the end. I think the Shox would have had a better chance at having KP in the game and an inbounds lob to him rather than a three. Particularly given TE's lack of vision for others in those situations.

Comment

• Originally posted by ABC View Post

Why?
                        PM coming soon
                        78-65

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post

PM coming soon
                          Hit me up as well
                          People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

To be clear I DON"T think a play should have been drawn up specifically for KP.
                            to allow him to beat the, SO, I think we should have used him as a DECOY and
                            now have three on one. If they don't double CP he then has the option to attack
                            I don't really care to get into discussions about hypothetical plays that could have been ran. WSU has been horrible at end of game play making, regardless of the coach. TE should not have got the ball when he was clearly being double teamed. He also should not have dribbled into a trap.

I disagree that KP changes the way defenses guard WSU. He isn't a threat, and you can tell by the way that defenses play his screens. He gets a lot of open pick and pop opportunities because defenses let him shoot. That doesn't mean that at some point in his career he wont become a threat, I just don't think he is right now, and the teams we're playing seem to agree.

Comment

• I want to offer one point about KP.

when have we ever had a freshman Center as good as him right out of the gate?
                              People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Thank you for bringing some sanity to this. Nobody is saying KP should have been taking the three at the end. I think the Shox would have had a better chance at having KP in the game and an inbounds lob to him rather than a three. Particularly given TE's lack of vision for others in those situations.
                                What about his recent performances make you think that we should have drawn up a play for KP to get the ball at the rim with the game on the line?

Comment

Working...
                                X