Tulane at Wichita State Game Thread 1-12-22

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post

I imagine that the largest blown lead was at Indiana State in 2008. WSU led 48-27 with 13:42 to go. After ISU Blue went on a 21-0 run to tie game, WSU regained its footing to take a 62-52 lead with 2:32 and led by 9 with 1:22 to go...only to see the Sycs tie it and send the game to overtime. WSU would lose in OT by 10.
    Yikes. Glad I’ve burned that one from the memory banks.

The talent on this team is better than that one, but that’s definitely a rough one.

I would say for comparable roster, any game 2010 and on would be a fair comparison.
    The Assman

Comment

• I understand that KP certainly is not your traditional PF........no way, okay ?
      His value at this point is his SHOOTING ability as a stretch four who can stretch
      the defense for others to take advantage of better spacing. That is an INTANGIBLE
      that most of you will never comprehend. It makes all the other four playing with him
      at the time more dangerous. More room down low for MU and more space especially
      in the paint for our dribble drivers. At 6'11 he is a threat to score from deep and tall
      enough to make entry passes. He takes good care of the ball. His strengths are not being
      used effectively right now. Hopefully he stays another year and adds 15 pounds of
      muscle where he can be an effective center, as well. He is still a better option than JP
      at either position. IB should have started him last night. He was next up...........period.
      Don't blame him if he was po'd about it. Hope it won't be the straw that broke the camel's back.

Comment

• Originally posted by asiseeit View Post
        I understand that KP certainly is not your traditional PF........no way, okay ?
        His value at this point is his SHOOTING ability as a stretch four who can stretch
        the defense for others to take advantage of better spacing. That is an INTANGIBLE
        that most of you will never comprehend. It makes all the other four playing with him
        at the time more dangerous. More room down low for MU and more space especially
        in the paint for our dribble drivers. At 6'11 he is a threat to score from deep and tall
        enough to make entry passes. He takes good care of the ball. His strengths are not being
        used effectively right now. Hopefully he stays another year and adds 15 pounds of
        muscle where he can be an effective center, as well. He is still a better option than JP
        at either position. IB should have started him last night. He was next up...........period.
        Don't blame him if he was po'd about it. Hope it won't be the straw that broke the camel's back.
        He's shooting 29% from 3.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shock Top View Post

Yikes. Glad I’ve burned that one from the memory banks.

The talent on this team is better than that one, but that’s definitely a rough one.

I would say for comparable roster, any game 2010 and on would be a fair comparison.
          It wasn’t a “blown” lead but the 2018-19 Baylor home game got way the eff closer than it should have been. A 29-point halftime lead that was 33 at one point was cut to 5.
          78-65

Comment

• Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
            First of all, this season will be filled with more knee-jerk reactions than you can shake a stick at. It’s understandable. And to go along with that, I would recommend that all SNers strap in because this season is going to become even more infuriating unless you get to the Acceptance stage of grief.

I was working last night and caught the game on and off until the last four minutes when I was able to watch. Even if I had, I don’t think I would be able to share any new ground-breaking analysis that others have not shared already on this board. I think we have a pretty good grasp on what this team is capable of at this point in the season.

My wife and I have a friend who has been through some tough family dynamics, particularly with her father growing up…not necessarily abuse but just tough relationships. She was talking about how to view your parents even though they are imperfect. Her quote was, “It’s helpful to look at them as if they were doing the best they could with what they have (emotionally, intellectually, etc.).” I think that applies perfectly here. As much as it’s easy to chastise IB, the staff, and the players for whatever decisions you think they should or shouldn’t make, I would recommend taking that approach. If IB were capable of changing something about his personality or coaching approach and it would improve this program, I imagine he would do it. If the players were capable of increasing their ability (and they certainly are, but to what degree is unknown) or getting to the point where they could be a tournament team, I imagine they’d do it. But at some point people are who they are.

The fact that this team is struggling is not necessarily the root issue, although it is an issue. It’s primarily symptomatic of the issues that plague this athletic department (both financially and with leadership), the fallout from the departure of GM, and unfortunately, some of the issues he left behind. Only when those issues are resolved does the on court product improve.

These guys have fought back in games against Arizona, UNLV, Oklahoma State, and Houston. They haven’t won them all but it’s clear they care, they fight, and they want to be here. My approach going forward this season will be to accept who this team, coaching staff, and program is and support it regardless. I have plenty of criticisms that I have voiced on this board and to friends, but I only have so much energy that I can devote to so many things. So I will do my best to stay sober-minded about what this team is and isn’t, criticize when necessary, and support them regardless. It’s going to be a long year and they will all need it if this program is going to get through the season. But it’s going to be a lot easier for me if I accept the situation at hand and look towards a hopefully brighter future in the distance.
            Best post of the season in my opinion. I still believe that IB can get the job done however this next recruiting class is super important for him. We need size and guys who score at the basket. I wonder what Mo and DD will do next year. I personally think that it would be extremely helpful if they return.

Comment

• In a season of tremendous disappointment, this one takes the cake. The offense looked much better in the first half and there was actually some flow there. Then in the second half TE started to hunt and stopped playing within the offense and things went stagnant once again. He played within the offense in the first half (mostly) and let the game come to him. He hero'd out in the second half when he didn't need to and was a big reason for the L.

I was initially upset that KP didn't get the start but I thought JP played aggressive in the first half and looked better than he has all season, then that disappeared in the second half.

Tulane did not play that well overall and WSU should have won this game by double digits. The two Jalen's will be a load in the AAC. I really like those two.

The refs made some absolutely ridiculous calls down the stretch. Having said that, the call on RCIV at the end was not a bad call. RCIV was out of control and you could tell that Tulane had been coached on that and knew where to be.

TE had Porter wide open on the second to last play and he could have shoveled it back to him for a better look, but alas he fumbled and bumbled his way in to the lane and got tied up. I honestly would have liked to see KP in the game and try a lob inbounds to him for a tip in or layup. Much more high percentage shot and the Shox definitely had a size advantage. But IB went with his dawgs to no avail and no surprise.

Porter played an outstanding game and I actually like the lineup with him and Qua on the floor together. Council was a beast on the boards. Monzy and KP had forgettable games, although in playing only 12 minutes in a game with Mo on the bench, the coaches aren't exactly inspiring confidence in him. He should have played at least 20 minutes, especially in the second half when JP was gassed and did not look good.

Loyal to a fault is definitely a characteristic that describes IB.

Comment

It wasn’t a “blown” lead but the 2018-19 Baylor home game got way the eff closer than it should have been. A 29-point halftime lead that was 33 at one point was cut to 5.
                I remember taking an ole 'Baylor buddy' to the game. When we were up 33, he turned to me and said, "I see why nobody wants to play here." He was being complementary as we looked like one of the best teams in the country that half; I was almost apologetic for the way we were pounding them. The second half was total "puckerville"... I was nervous as a cat.

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Ok, give IB somewhat of a pass for last year's recruiting class. I'm sure it's hard to recruit as in interim. Not sure that explains QG or JP, as their recruitment would have started after the 5 year contract, but for the sake of argument give him a pass.

I'm curious as to who is on his recruiting radar for next season that we as fans can get excited about. In browsing the recruiting forum I don't see too many realistic options that look that great. Maybe there is and I'm not seeing it. I agree this year's recruiting class is huge. If next year is worse than this year, it becomes about impossible to defend IB and/or say he's the right guy.

Comment

• I was never a fan of bringing in Qua or JP. You cannot trust stats at D-2 or low D-1, IMO. I didn't see anything overly mind blowing about either.

Comment

I imagine that the largest blown lead was at Indiana State in 2008. WSU led 48-27 with 13:42 to go. After ISU Blue went on a 21-0 run to tie game, WSU regained its footing to take a 62-52 lead with 2:32 and led by 9 with 1:22 to go...only to see the Sycs tie it and send the game to overtime. WSU would lose in OT by 10.

Word is that Gregg let Jim Schaus have it after the game.
                      Why?

Comment

• I think we certainly missed Mo and Dexter on the inside. Mo matches up pretty well with Kevin Cross. Similar size, body types, athleticism and skill set. We got very little out of Joe and Kenny last night.

Perhaps Dexter's defense might have made a difference on Jaylen Forbes in the 2nd half.

Joe and Qua to this point have been swings and misses. I don't see anything changing with Joe. He is who he is. Qua may be able to get it going yet. He is more like a Juco transfer though as jumping from D-2 ball to D-1 ball is comparable to the jump from Juco.

Comment

• I think the team missed Dex for sure. Mo, not so much.

Comment

• Originally posted by shocker43 View Post

He's shooting 29% from 3.
                            Small sample size, won team 3 point contest, most of us KNOW he can shoot.
                            Should have been on the court at the end and #1 or #2 option with TE and CP
                            being OVERLY guarded.

Comment

• Remember when the prevailing thought was that Joe was going to be an upgrade over Trey Wade? That seems like a long time ago.

Comment

• Originally posted by asiseeit View Post

Small sample size, won team 3 point contest, most of us KNOW he can shoot.
                                Should have been on the court at the end and #1 or #2 option with TE and CP
                                being OVERLY guarded.
                                We don't know he can shoot. He's made 9 three pointers all season. He ranks 5th on the team in 3 point attempts.

Won shocker madness 3 point contest. This might be the worst argument for more minutes I've ever seen.

Comment

Working...
                                X