Tulane at Wichita State Game Thread 1-12-22

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

Who was afraid of him quitting to take a better job. He already got one way above his level.
    Trust me. I’m with you. Just that on the off chance that we struck gold with him, Darron didn’t want someone taking him. Hindsight makes that look ridiculous now.
    78-65

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

He can be fired but you owe him the full remaining contract value the first 3 years. After that it drops to half of the value remaining. So right now we need 5 mil to fire him, and money to pay Marshall and whatever new coach we get. So barring donors stepping up... It isn't happening
      If you hire Jans and average his salary at $1.5 over 6 years:

-Marshall owed $7.75 over 6 years, or $1.3mm / year
      -Brown owed $5mm, let’s carry over same 6 years, $800k per
      -$2.1mm paid to fired coaches over 6 years, ~$12mm
      -Jans making $1.5mm over 6 is $9mm
      -Marshall was making $3.6mm per year

Breakeven in the 6th year, no?

Comment

• Originally posted by NCAABound View Post

At this point id chip in
        Just keep betting half the funds against the spread and we could hire anyone by the end of the season.
        People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Anything happening at the end of the season would have resulted in IB getting hired. Once that Coach of the year award and Conference championship was done...there was no other option. Before or after the drake game.
          This narrative is so tiresome. I’m on record saying you don’t hire him as your head coach. You realize that this was a one in a million season with Marshall resigning and COVID, and give the guy another year with the interim tag. 70% of the job is recruiting, and this guy demonstrated none of that in his interim role… absolute insanity.

Comment

If you can write the check.... You fixed it.... But I'm guessing you don't have that laying around. The people that do apparently aren't interested in writing it
            Stick,
            There are people in town with the cash to make it happen. But they aren't getting involved until other changes take place at the school.
            Not hard to figure out what they are.

Book it.

That is all.
            Above all, make the right call.

Comment

• What the F was Grant doing in the game over the last 3 or so minutes. We needed Jackson on the floor. Don't know what Monzy did to get in IB's doghouse tonight, but he looked like he knew he wasn't going back in the game.

Comment

• Originally posted by IndianaShocker View Post

You can't be that dense?

Any veteran talent we lose will be replaced with lesser talent. There's zero recruiting buzz right now. And with negative momentum snow balling you can bet your ass if we were in on anyone worth a sh*t it would be getting leaked.

We don't have Andy Kennedy coaching this team. What HM guys will want to come here under the current state of affairs? I'm sure we'll clean up with DII guys and honorable mention SWAC level players (see Grant & JP) but no one worth a sh** is coming here right now if they have other options.

And about Andy Kennedy...UAB is his alma mater. His hiring excited their fan base. He brought positive energy. You really think this is the same situation?

I always thought Pleasant was a bad take & Grant would probably be playing SEC ball if he didn’t commit here. Maybe South Alabama is a better example, but there’s no reason we shouldn’t be able to pull in some HM role players transferring down for more PT. I wasn’t specific enough about the level of HM guys in my first comment.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockRef View Post

Stick,
                  There are people in town with the cash to make it happen. But they aren't getting involved until other changes take place at the school.
                  Not hard to figure out what they are.

Book it.

That is all.
                  I'm perfectly aware ... That doesn't change that the money isn't there...which was my point

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
                    What the F was Grant doing in the game over the last 3 or so minutes. We needed Jackson on the floor. Don't know what Monzy did to get in IB's doghouse tonight, but he looked like he knew he wasn't going back in the game.
                    He was 2-10 shooting...so obviously in there to jack up an egregious 3

Comment

• Originally posted by shock View Post

This program is quickly putting him out of reach.
                      Bro, there is a wide gulf between Wichita State and New Mexico State
                      Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

• Originally posted by SshockerR View Post

I always thought Pleasant was a bad take & Grant would probably be playing SEC ball if he didn’t commit here. Maybe South Alabama is a better example, but there’s no reason we shouldn’t be able to pull in some HM role players transferring down for more PT. I wasn’t specific enough about the level of HM guys in my first comment.
                        So our hope is to copy South Alabama's blueprint? The cancer is spreading. This program needs a real leader with high expectations ASAP

Comment

• Originally posted by WichitaStateGuy View Post

This narrative is so tiresome. I’m on record saying you don’t hire him as your head coach. You realize that this was a one in a million season with Marshall resigning and COVID, and give the guy another year with the interim tag. 70% of the job is recruiting, and this guy demonstrated none of that in his interim role… absolute insanity.
                          There is a ideal world where that works in hindsight and the real world. The real world would have WSU completely crucified on a multitude of reasons (right or wrong) for not hiring IB at the end of the year.

Before all the numnuts jump on this saying I'm talking coach Brown up as a great coach... I'm not saying that at all. Just saying I understand how and why he got hired and now we are stuck with him for a few years for good or bad.

Comment

• Originally posted by shock View Post

This program is quickly putting him out of reach.
                            Nah. Jans knows what this place can be. With the year-to-year status that comes from immediate transfers, a good coach wouldn’t have to take long to turn this back in the right direction.

78-65

Comment

• Contract should have had a no buyout clause for the first two years. IB would never have rejected that to get a HC gig. Then a graduated buyout going through the 5-year length of the contract.

IB would have signed that contract with the knowledge that if he didn't prove himself in his first two years, he would be gone. That might have made it seem important that winning games mattered more than being liked by the players.

The utter incompetence in the athletic department is making it harder for me to continue being a die-hard fan. I'm to the point where a bottom 1/3 finish in the league is something I expect. That will continue until there's a total change in the administration of the program.

Comment

• IB will get this year, and barring a 7-25 disaster next year, will probably get another year. It's much more fun being a fan of a bad team knowing that better days are ahead. IB's a nice guy and I'm sure a great assistant, but I don't see better days ahead here. Hope I'm wrong.

We are in for a rough couple of years, I'm afraid. If and when a change is made, whoever is in charge better make a good choice. I feel like we are heading back to the 90s. I remember when we joined the AAC - Bob Lutz did a two part column with the best case and worst case scenarios 20 years after joining. We're well on the way to the worst case scenario he wrote about.

Comment

Working...
                                X