Wichita State at Houston Game Thread 1-8-22

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post

Monzy was on his way to a double double with 9 and 8 rebounds. Any idea why he didn't play the final 10 minutes?
    He’s done this all year- he forgets players on the bench for long periods.

Comment

• Originally posted by Topshock View Post
      We go on a run cut it to 6. There is a time out.

Apparently IB decides to do a little coaching and he comes up with lets have TE get the ball out of bounds since he has hardly touched it during the 9-0 run. Never mind that maybe that is why we had a 9-0 run.

Of course he promptly throws it and the game away, fouls the guy and then is yapping at Porter when he helps him up.

Thank you IB

But he is not done. Now he decides to start substituting for the group that got us back in the game. Including bringing back JP. Houston blows the game back out of reach.

I think IB deserves a participation ribbon for his effort. I mean he tried right?

Pretty sure the turnover came after Tyson chased down a long rebound in the corner (nice hustle play). He was trying to get the ball up the floor to the point guard when he turned it over. We can all not like the result, but no need to make-up a non-existent narrative.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ashockalypse View Post

Monzy didn’t make it back into the game after a step back three about ten seconds into the shot clock. He isn’t the only player guilty of questionable shot selection, but that is what probably got him yanked.

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

IB doesn't know how to effectively use his bench
          Originally posted by Ashockalypse View Post

Isn't that why one has assistant coaches? I mean, he should listen to Kennedy. Right?

Comment

• For the year RC4 has more assists than TE, but playing 9 minutes per game less. How the heck can that happen. Time to reduce TE minutes until he starts making others around him better. I hated the set play to have Dex shoot a 3 when we cut the lead to 6. We had some success driving the ball with Porter or RC4 instead we call a play for a guy shooting 30% on 3’s. Come on IB you have to be better...

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

Isn't that why one has assistant coaches? I mean, he should listen to Kennedy. Right?
              Kennedy didn't look all that engaged when I saw him today.
              Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker
              Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
              ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
              Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
              Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockHat View Post
                There’s so much talk about IB, but why is nobody acknowledging the fact that our roster is genuinely terrible?

yes, Brown needs to do much better as a coach and I’m growing more and more frustrated with him, but here’s what he’s got to work with (also partly his,partly Marshall’s fault)

PG: We have Porter who’s actually good, but Grant still needs time to get up to speed. Right now he’s not adjusting to D1 well unfortunately. Porter is injury prone as we’ve seen and we NEED a backup PG to live up to the role.

Guards: Yes Tysons is awful right now. Part of that is that we lack any other viable offensive threat, which makes scouting us easy. Crowd the paint, Double Udeze, crash Tyson. Game over. Tyson IS potentially great but he needs help as he’s clearly not the person to just take over. Dennis is good defensively but shows a weakness offensively. Porter doesn’t shoot, Grant isn’t ready, Jenkins has defensive woes and isn’t ready, since he needs meat on him, Council sucks ass at defensive and regularly makes atomic bombs (so does Tyson), and Monzy has defensive lapses. Our bench options are woefully thin right now, especially when the basketball IQ of each guard excepting Porter is surprisingly low. We lack size, talent to even knock down open shots (as evidenced by Taylor Eldridge’s articles), penetration, and don’t have enough big threats, so teams let us shoot the three ball or they push us so far out because bigs aren’t a threat.

bigs: Udeze is udeze. He’s tiny. He’s good at making tough buckets, but he has such a small range that he can make them. He’s not a defensive threat whatsoever. Pohto is potentially a great player, but the man’s needing muscle. Pleasant… he’s invisible, timid, and is probably forgotten on most scouting reports. Monzy isn’t a big so doesn’t even belong on the four spot imo.

We really are not deep. We don’t have the ability to punish any players for atomic bombs because they consistently make stupid plays. Isaac Briwn is responsible for that up to a point, but when your players tragically regularly hand the other players the ball (looking at you Tyson, Grant, Council), what’re you supposed to do?

Im not sure that Brown is the man for the job. But I’d love to see what he (or anybody) can do with a serviceable roster with size and talent. We just don’t have that. This is not an easy roster to coach, let’s be real.
                Right on the money ShockHat! We have got to get a true power forward in the portal or from juco. A huge miss on Joe P.

Comment

• Sub, ACBK is always a Zombie on the bench. No emotion by anyone on the bench not named Lou.

Comment

• Originally posted by WeWillShockU2 View Post

Right on the money ShockHat! We have got to get a true power forward in the portal or from juco. A huge miss on Joe P.
                    My guess is we go hard after a long 4 and 5s. We seem to have redshirt and options at the 1-3, but need to develop those players and see what happens. May also supplement with another PG, since two isn’t enough imo.

Not sure on what players graduate thanks to Covid and who transfers though. Genuinely no idea

Comment

• Originally posted by ShoxFan7 View Post
                      If you want to over analyze a single play that perfectly illustrates everyone’s concerns about the effectiveness of these coaches to lead us to where we want them to be is the last azz pass by TE to Porter after Houston just scored ending the 9-0 run.
                      In that moment, how in the heck can you be that careless? That’s not being overly aggressive and making an error. That was not recognizing the importance of that moment in the game.
                      Starring down and throwing careless lob pass to the player everyone on the court knew he was going to pass when no one was guarding him and totally could have gotten closer to be easy hand or better pass. There are so many things wrong with that pass on so many levels that I could write a complete article seriously questioning the state of the program with the current coaches moving forward based on that pass alone.
                      There are plenty of other topics on here dealing with IB or the AD overall so I won’t go into all that, But, until IB and company prove otherwise my next great hope is he can land more Pohto’s than Pleasants because expecting incremental progress with this current collection of coaches and athletes seems like an exercise in futility or an excuse for excessive drinking.
                      Not throwing those cross court passes are about the first thing players are taught. Terrible, terrible play by a player of the year and then he fouled him for the 3 point play. Just incredibly dumb. That is not the coaches fault.
                      Last edited by WeWillShockU2; January 8, 2022, 06:40 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShoxFan7 View Post
                        If you want to over analyze a single play that perfectly illustrates everyone’s concerns about the effectiveness of these coaches to lead us to where we want them to be is the last azz pass by TE to Porter after Houston just scored ending the 9-0 run.
                        In that moment, how in the heck can you be that careless? That’s not being overly aggressive and making an error. That was not recognizing the importance of that moment in the game.
                        Starring down and throwing careless lob pass to the player everyone on the court knew he was going to pass when no one was guarding him and totally could have gotten closer to be easy hand or better pass. There are so many things wrong with that pass on so many levels that I could write a complete article seriously questioning the state of the program with the current coaches moving forward based on that pass alone.
                        There are plenty of other topics on here dealing with IB or the AD overall so I won’t go into all that, But, until IB and company prove otherwise my next great hope is he can land more Pohto’s than Pleasants because expecting incremental progress with this current collection of coaches and athletes seems like an exercise in futility or an excuse for excessive drinking.
                        ​​​​​​Past generations of basketball players were educated on winning. This has changed in the last 10 years or so. In the past, pick up games were the neighborhood/local proving grounds. On many occasions we would have 20+ guys at a local court. Mix of players - college, former college, high school, and local legends. All that mattered was winning and staying on the court. If you didn't understand how to win you weren't getting picked to play. Simple as that.

Today it's about individual workouts and instagram videos.

The result is an ability to make an occasional side step 30' jumper but the winning IQ is lacking. That's why having a coach who teaches and demands these things is so important today. Fewer kids know how to win.

BTW...Craig Porter is from my neck of the woods. He had to learn how to win to get on the court. I'll take a Craig Porter on my team any day.

Comment

• Couldn’t figure out why Jackson didn’t come back in either. Perfect game for a guy like him. He was also playing decent. Guys on this team love shooting the 3,which statistic wise isn’t a strength. Need to limit Etiennes playing time, maybe coming off the bench till he starts playing better. Pleasant isn’t near quick enough for a game like this. Cement in his shoes and he really doesn’t anticipate very good..

Comment

• Originally posted by eeshocker View Post

I have started to notice a little bickering going on lately. That play was a good example, after TE finishes fouling on the layup after that pass, it appeared to me he was getting on to CP. I have to wonder if team chemistry is starting go south.
                            He was for some reason making it seem like it was Porter’s fault for that decision. A real leader would’ve said “my fault”.

But he doesn’t have to convince anybody of his faults because he gets a free pass from IB for literally anything.

The “dawgs gonna dawg” and “TE ride or die” philosophies sure are holding up well midway through the season.
                            Deuces Valley.
                            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by proshox View Post

Pretty sure the turnover came after Tyson chased down a long rebound in the corner (nice hustle play). He was trying to get the ball up the floor to the point guard when he turned it over. We can all not like the result, but no need to make-up a non-existent narrative.
                              Lmao the only person that has a narrative is you. You will not call TE out for ANYTHING. You have a lot of IB in you.
                              Deuces Valley.
                              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by proshox View Post

Monzy didn’t make it back into the game after a step back three about ten seconds into the shot clock. He isn’t the only player guilty of questionable shot selection, but that is what probably got him yanked.
                                The difference is he gets yanked, while the others who do it tenfold don’t get an eyelash batted.
                                Deuces Valley.
                                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Working...
                                X