Wichita State Shockers vs. UNLV Game Thread 11-21-21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post
    You’re not listening. Ricky wants to be a Lebron, and sees himself as a Lebron. Ricky is NO Lebron. He needs to change that and see the reality. Then he will be better off.

i don't. think he’s selfish but he doesn’t see the way things are.
    If he thinks the way he is playing now is similar to LeBron then he’s never actually watched him play basketball.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
      I think one of the problems is that this is stuff these younger players could get away with in high school and no defense AAU ball. Now they have to understand that adjustments are in order and the level of athlete and athleticism they are up against now requires some finesse and refined skill in addition to athleticism. Hopefully, that will come sooner than later. But we will see.
      You’re assessment probably gets to the heart of Ricky’s inability to convert an easy 3 on 1. There may be other problems that were mentioned but none spoke to the EASY 3 on 1. Everyone else speaks to other issues like defense and effort that are much more difficult to solve compared to an easy 3 on 1 that just requires an easy pass, and not a thunderous dunk.

Comment

• Ricky should always be on the receiving end of the fast break and never the giving end. Same goes for most of the rest of our team.

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
          Ricky should always be on the receiving end of the fast break and never the giving end. Same goes for most of the rest of our team.
          I dunno, he’s looked pretty good dunking on several fast breaks he started by getting a steal on defense.

Comment

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

I dunno, he’s looked pretty good dunking on several fast breaks he started by getting a steal on defense.
            How did he look on the others?
            People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

Those are one on zeros and don’t count

Comment

Are you defending Ricky's decision making on a 3 on 1? That's certainly not his only bad decision but it is the most egregious and that is why I brought it up.
                RC4 play on that break away was terrible. I don't know what he is thinking. I don't care. He needs to pass the dam ball.This is not high-school or AAU basketball. Wait time for RC4 to do another spin move for a turnover. His turnovers are just bonehead plays because he is trying to do it all by himself. This needs to STOP.. Every Possession Counts.

Comment

• Originally posted by shock View Post

How did he look on the others?
                  I don’t remember his every fast break this year, just the one’s he dunked on someone and the one from the UNLV game where he charged.

Why don’t you put together some film of all his opportunities or break them down for us?

Comment

No one said he wasn’t a talented player. But a 3 on 1 that turns into a charge is wrong, and 99% of 3 on 1’s should end up with 2 more points. All possessions are important. It was a boneheaded play and I would think Brown has been all over him for it. I don’t know Ricky, but hopefully he listens to IB.

Comment

Lol that is fair. I agree in general but I’m not willing do better quite as definitive (always, never). Situationally he needs to be able to do both because he’s going to be involved in quite a few fast breaks with his athleticism and ability to get into passing lanes. The main he needs to remember is to stay under control. If he does that I think he’ll be alright.

Comment

No one said he wasn’t a talented player. But a 3 on 1 that turns into a charge is wrong, and 99% of 3 on 1’s should end up with 2 more points. All possessions are important. It was a boneheaded play and I would think Brown has been all over him for it. I don’t know Ricky, but hopefully he listens to IB.
                        Totally agree. Nobody is saying that RC4 is not talented. He has got some major skills. And he has worked hard all summer. But his basketball IQ and maturity needs to improve . Go Shocks.

Comment

• RCIV. Ain't. A. Point. Guard. And. Never. Will. Be. End. Of. Story (but we all knew that).

Because, ideally, it would be a good idea to have your best ball handler pushing the ball up the floor, in most situations. I know it sounds crazy...

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post
                            RCIV. Ain't. A. Point. Guard. And. Never. Will. Be. End. Of. Story (but we all knew that).

Because, ideally, it would be a good idea to have your best ball handler pushing the ball up the floor, in most situations. I know it sounds crazy...
                            Unless there is some sarcasm in your statement, you don’t know the play we are talking about, so yes crazy might be descriptive.

At about 13:40, An errant UNLV pass was intercepted on our defensive end by Qua ( a PG). Qua pushed the ball up court (middle), with RC4 on his right, and Monzy on his left (just a step or two back, on the left (3 on 1). The next trailing player was Kenny P. ( so actually a 4 on 1) who was trailing Qua in the middle. The only defensive player was McCabe. Qua passed the ball to RC, and McCabe slid over in front of RC (just outside the protected arc under our basket). RC took no dribbles but two steps going up to slam it, and instead slammed into a set McCabe. The play should have been an immediate pass back to Qua Grant for an uncontested layup. Instead of converting 2 points, RC and the Shox got a charge call.

Comment

• If we continue to lack execution in our fast break opportunities I wouldn’t be surprised if Taylor uses this 3 on 1play as a prime example in one of his news stories, where he gives us coaching tips.

Comment

Unless there is some sarcasm in your statement, you don’t know the play we are talking about, so yes crazy might be descriptive.

At about 13:40, An errant UNLV pass was intercepted on our defensive end by Qua ( a PG). Qua pushed the ball up court (middle), with RC4 on his right, and Monzy on his left (just a step or two back, on the left (3 on 1). The next trailing player was Kenny P. ( so actually a 4 on 1) who was trailing Qua in the middle. The only defensive player was McCabe. Qua passed the ball to RC, and McCabe slid over in front of RC (just outside the protected arc under our basket). RC took no dribbles but two steps going up to slam it, and instead slammed into a set McCabe. The play should have been an immediate pass back to Qua Grant for an uncontested layup. Instead of converting 2 points, RC and the Shox got a charge call.
                                Thanks for the recap, I didn’t remember the specifics. Based on what you described I would say Qua was equally responsible, if not more, as Ricky for the end result.

In this specific case Qua should get into either Monzie or RC4’s lane. I would prefer Monzie’s because RC4 is a more lethal finisher. That way you have proper spacing with the ball handler on one side of the rim and RC4 on the other side instead of the ball handler in the middle. Qua then just has to read the defender. If he hangs back take the easy layup yourself. If he comes to defend you throw it over to RC4 for the dunk.

Qua knows that. He’s fully capable of running the break. He probably thought Ricky was further ahead of the defender and had a clearer lane to the basket or else didn’t expect much effort by the defender. It didn’t work out that time but I expect we will score 99/100 in that situation in the future.

Of course then there was the Tyson fast break debacle in the same game. Was there one more?

Comment

Working...
                                X