Wichita State Shockers vs. UNLV Game Thread 11-21-21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two observations.

1) If the UNLV player doesn't shove TE out of bounds, there's probably not a call made, but with Etienne going out of bounds, SOMETHING had to be called - and the right call was made.

2) Any comparison between TE and TP that includes one game where TE was ill (and probably shouldn't have played) and another while he was probably still not 100% (in a sample size of 4) can only be made by someone wanting to present an obviously biased viewpoint and hoping no one will figure out how screwed up that comparison is.

TE's ceiling - NBA
    TP's ceiling - Middle school JV assistant coach - and then parents will move to get their kid away from the d'bag a-hole.

Comment

• 76 getting completely torn apart. Nothing new.
      Deuces Valley.
      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• I know everyone has been waiting on pins and needles for my observations, so here it goes.

Mo...man I appreciate anyone who is willing to stick things out in a tough situation so I have to give him props for doing that. That being said, he is just not good enough to compete at the level we want to compete at. He can dominate mid- to low-major bigs who are undersized, but against dudes, he struggles.

Which brings me to Kenny. He is the real deal. He is great on ball screen defense and has a feel for the game like Garrett Stutz. Note: Garrett Stutz did not have anywhere near Kenny Pohto's athletic ability. Kenny should be starting at the 5 ahead of Mo and I hope IB realizes that. He is our second best player and I say that without any hesitation.

Tyson...not much more to say. As much crap as I (and many others here) have given him for his shot selection, he has vindicated himself. What an absolute stud and a great representative of WSU. I imagine it won't be the last time this season where he bails us out like this.

Hard to fault this team for the effort but for Ricky Council, I feel like it's a case of "he thinks he's working hard but he's really not." He lost so many guys off the ball last night. But he's lethal when he is the head of the press.

Craig Porter Jr. might as well be a song by Santana and Rob Thomas because he is so smooth.

I don't know what Monzy has been eating but he is shooting the 3 well. David Kyles is proud.

Anyways, I'm proud of these guys and I think they have loads of potential as long as Tre King commits soon.

We did a lot better at off-ball defense against Arizona than we did against UNLV.

Shocker Nation was out in full force and it was awesome.

I will repeat, Joe Pleasant has a DONK.
        "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post

Completely different topic. Was it you that had some familiarity with Craig Porter when we were recruiting him and said he was a tough kid who was a good find? If it was you, good analysis!
          Lax,
          Good memory.
          I had CP when he was at Vincennes and was playing in tournament I worked. Wasn't hard to tell he was athletic as hell, but it was his toughness I noted.
          Of course we had a pregame and knew about him but it wasn't hard to quickly figure out he was the real deal.

That is all.
          Above all, make the right call.

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

After thinking about it - I think '76 is Patty Beamer
            She isn't in hiding after losing the election?

Comment

• Originally posted by pogo View Post
              That last one made me spit coke all over.
              And I giggled so hard the heroin needle popped outta my arm!
              Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• I just rewatched the game and came away with a couple new things.

A disciplined version of this team beats UNLV by fifteen and is a top 10-15 type of team.

Pleasant played better than I thought. He’s a bit of a throwback who just doesn’t quite fit today’s game. This is about the right amount of minutes for him.

God the transition offense was even worse than I remembered.

Announcer: “He could be playing playing against Kobe”. …..SMDH don’t pick the one dead guy to use.

Ricky’s head was at the rim on that missed rebound!

I think this team is going to be dangerous in the second half if any combination of Mo, Dex or Qua can get it going on offense.

Monzy seems like a fun dude. His energy just jumps off the screen.

Post defense is our biggest weakness. Very concerned about what Jalen Duren is going to do to us.

UNLV had seven questionable calls go against them including two in crunch time (the final play was not questionable). Wichita State had three.

Mo played way better than he’s getting credit for.

Out of the rotational regulars, all but two are capable of scoring twenty on any given night. That is depth I didn’t expect to start the season.

I am not going to complain about a couple bad shooting games. I’m going to enjoy every second of Tyson’s swan song season.

Comment

• Mo's in the game because he relishes contact down on the block. Not sure Plesant could give us the same, strictly on the block. And sure, Photo has more skill and his time is coming, maybe sooner rather than later, but Mo's earned his time on the court. Zona's front line didn't do to us what they did to a 'sort of' similar sized front court to them in Michigan. MO WAS PUSHING BACK; the Wolverines rolled over.

Just my observation but it appears Pleasant (veteran) is on the court because he runs good offense, and so does Photo (smart). I think they are the 2 best at running clean sets with good spacing. That will change as the year goes on (I hope) with ALL of our front court players.
                  Last edited by ShockingButTrue; November 22, 2021, 09:49 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

Perhaps. And to be fair I’ve really only watched the NBA and WSU games so far this year so I don’t have a lot of perspective on how teams like WSU, UNLV, Arizona, Michigan, etc stack up among the NCAA landscape.
                    Yeah but.jpg

NAMASTE

Comment

• Originally posted by Regul8te View Post

A disciplined version of this team beats UNLV by fifteen and is a top 10-15 type of team.
                      I tend to agree. And that's the really frustrating part about having a "player's coach" to the extreme.
                      Deuces Valley.
                      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

I tend to agree. And that's the really frustrating part about having a "player's coach" to the extreme.
                        Our "tough" coach took a top-10 team to the AAC and, as I recall, finished 3rd in that league and lost in the first round of the NCAA tournament to Marshall.

Our "tough" coach had massive transfers from his teams for several years, including an NBA player.

Our "player's" coach took a team decimated by the transfer portal and picked to finish 7th in the AAC if our "tough" coach was in charge. Our "player's coach" won the AAC regular season with that team. Our "tough" coach never won an AAC regular season championship.

If you think the team with Burton, Stevenson, and Sherfield was disciplined, you have not been paying attention. That team was totally out of control.

I expect to be ridiculed and taken to the cleaners for posting some facts. SN seems to have a loyal and vocal group of posters who would rather not deal with facts.
                        Last edited by WuTheOne; November 23, 2021, 12:12 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuTheOne View Post

Our "tough" coach took a top-10 team to the AAC and, as I recall, finished 3rd in that league and lost in the first round of the NCAA tournament to Marshall.

Our "tough" coach had massive transfers from his teams for several years, including an NBA player.

Our "player's" coach took a team decimated by the transfer portal and picked to finish 7th in the AAC if our "tough" coach was in charge. Our "player's coach" won the AAC regular season with that team. Our "tough" coach never won an AAC regular season championship.

If you think the team with Burton, Stevenson, and Sherfield was disciplined, you have not been paying attention. That team was totally out of control.

I expect to be ridiculed and taken to the cleaners for posting some facts. SN seems to have a loyal and vocal group of posters who would rather not deal with facts.
                          Uh, we finished 2nd, 1 point away from a legitimate league title.

Speaking of facts, I noticed the comparisons didn't include anything prior to 2018. I guess those years kinda killed your points. Back to the 100-acre backyard golf range for you.
                          Deuces Valley.
                          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

Uh, we finished 2nd, 1 point away from a legitimate league title.

Speaking of facts, I noticed the comparisons didn't include anything prior to 2018. I guess those years kinda killed your points. Back to the 100-acre backyard golf range for you.
                            The beginning of the end of the Marshall era was in Canada in 2016 when he had to be restrained from attacking referees. The alleged incident with Morris happened in 2015. The alleged incident with Linstead happened in the 2016-17 season. The serious loss of players to transfers became a problem about that same time.

Did you really want to look back past 2018? I believe you wanted to look back to when the Shox had VanVleet, Baker, and Early - 3 NBA players. I don't think you wanted to look back to when the Shox had an NBA player who transferred to OU.

Marshall did a lot for WSU basketball and for Wichita. He was a great coach and a great motivator. He was and still is a pillar of the community. He is one of the most popular coaches to ever walk the floor of CKA or any of the previous designations of that facility. He was also his own worst enemy by his inability to control his desire to win, which resulted in his inability to control his anger.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuTheOne View Post

The beginning of the end of the Marshall era was in Canada in 2016 when he had to be restrained from attacking referees. The alleged incident with Morris happened in 2015. The alleged incident with Linstead happened in the 2016-17 season. The serious loss of players to transfers became a problem about that same time.

Did you really want to look back past 2018? I believe you wanted to look back to when the Shox had VanVleet, Baker, and Early - 3 NBA players. I don't think you wanted to look back to when the Shox had an NBA player who transferred to OU.

Marshall did a lot for WSU basketball and for Wichita. He was a great coach and a great motivator. He was and still is a pillar of the community. He is one of the most popular coaches to ever walk the floor of CKA or any of the previous designations of that facility. He was also his own worst enemy by his inability to control his desire to win, which resulted in his inability to control his anger.
                              Careful WuTheOne, posting of facts that do not support the "shocker vision" held by some on this board will lead to ...........

Comment

• Mr, lake-in-your-back-yard (some call it a low place) your starting to smell up this place like your brother.

Comment

Working...
                                X