No announcement yet.

Record Next Five Games?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OSU could be a huge win, later in the season. At this time, we just don’t know. Same with KSU. They are in a league that is good enough to have big wins down the road.

Comment

Since when does a road win against a Power 5 league team, perhaps the best Power 5 league, where at least 2 teams will likely be top 3 seeds or better, a team picked 5th in that league, that has lost once out of 7 games, with a deep roster of experienced and big athletes, current KenPom 38 and all but certain to be a Q1 game all year long, get classified as not fantastic?

I've seen OSU twice and will probably watch a 3rd before the game. I'm not saying they're unbeatable nor am I saying we're not good. The Cisse kid caused us big problems last season in our one match-up at Memphis, and little has changed to make me think that's going to be any better when we face him in Stillwater. I think we have the best player in Tyson. Not sure after that though.

They are definitely NOT a great shooting team nor do they take particularly good shots (something we're familiar with) but they get a lot more steals and while they do turn it over too much, their assist to turnover ratio is substantially better than ours. I believe their experience has a lot to do with that.

If we can limit turnovers and continue the pressure successfully, I like our chances. But we will be underdogs, likely in the 6-10 point range. If you can't see beating this team on the road as an excellent win (sure, it's not beating Gonzaga at Gonzaga) then you're just being close minded.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

So is Missouri better than Okie State?

Missouri was 3-2 when we came in and they had beaten SMU, but lost to the Roos of KC by 14 and Florida St by 23.

OSU will be 6-1 when we arrive, losing to a decent Oakland by 1 with a couple of key players not available (both are their leading scorers). OSU's best win is against NC St (currently 5-1, but easy schedule) by 6 points on a neutral court.

I don't see this game as easier than Missouri and they may actually have a least a few fans in the stands.
        Excellent point on missing 2 key players vs Oakland. Bryce Williams and Kalib Boone neither played in that game.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
          If we can limit turnovers and continue the pressure successfully, I like our chances. But we will be underdogs, likely in the 6-10 point range. If you can't see beating this team on the road as an excellent win (sure, it's not beating Gonzaga at Gonzaga) then you're just being close minded.
          Beating OSU on the road would be equivalent to a win at home against Houston or Arizona. So yeah, it would be a big win.

Which really makes me rue our neutral loss to Arizona. What a huge win that would have been.
          "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

Well I was completely wrong, team is getting better and seems to come up when needed.

Comment

Only the Mild Cats remain for a Shocker 4-1 record; nice way to end this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post

Great. Get ready for an 0-5 or 1-4 stretch everyone...
                How are you feeling now MKR? Still confident the Shockers will perform so badly?

Comment

Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post

Beating OSU on the road would be equivalent to a win at home against Houston or Arizona. So yeah, it would be a big win.

Which really makes me rue our neutral loss to Arizona. What a huge win that would have been.
                  Well, we made up for it last night. There will be some decent teams that lose in Stillwater, as usual.

Comment

Originally posted by dwbarcl View Post
                    Well I was completely wrong, team is getting better and seems to come up when needed.
                    Yep. For at least half of the game last (bits of either half) night the offense was ran more than passably coherent.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                      Since when does a road win against a Power 5 league team, perhaps the best Power 5 league, where at least 2 teams will likely be top 3 seeds or better, a team picked 5th in that league, that has lost once out of 7 games, with a deep roster of experienced and big athletes, current KenPom 38 and all but certain to be a Q1 game all year long, get classified as not fantastic?

I've seen OSU twice and will probably watch a 3rd before the game. I'm not saying they're unbeatable nor am I saying we're not good. The Cisse kid caused us big problems last season in our one match-up at Memphis, and little has changed to make me think that's going to be any better when we face him in Stillwater. I think we have the best player in Tyson. Not sure after that though.

They are definitely NOT a great shooting team nor do they take particularly good shots (something we're familiar with) but they get a lot more steals and while they do turn it over too much, their assist to turnover ratio is substantially better than ours. I believe their experience has a lot to do with that.

Bump on this. Doc put it a lot more eloquently than I could.

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker1976 View Post

How are you feeling now MKR? Still confident the Shockers will perform so badly?

Comment

I had us at 2-3 so happy to be wrong. Would like to be really wrong.

Comment

I had us at 3-2 and losing last night. But ending up at 3-2 and losing to KSU is unacceptable at this point.
                            Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                            RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                            Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                            ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                            Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                            Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

I also had us at 2-3. Like another poster said this team is an enigma. I liken this
                              team to Shaka Smart's VCU teams a few years ago. LONG on defense with
                              questionable offense. Once again we had low assists (12) with 15 turnovers BUT
                              we forced 21 OSU turnovers. I'll take the ugly wins but regardless of the SOS
                              numbers it just hasn't looked liked our opponents have been that good. Could be
                              our defense has made them look worse than they really are??

Comment

I liken this team to a litter of 8 week old puppies. They can be aggravating at times, but boy are they fun to watch.

Comment

Working...
                                X