Closed Scrimmage - Texas Tech vs WSU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dan View Post
    I’m guessing we used the whole team first full scrimmage to see who’s ready for prime time. Looks like some of the young guys still not ready.
    I was not at the scimage so I don't know who was playing. But anytime you give up 52 points in a 20 minute scimage your defense was nonexistent. I know it's a new team and the Shocks are learning how to play with each other but giving up 52 points to the other team in 20 minutes is ridiculous. This team better learn how to play better defense. It's good they did better in the other two sessions. Go shocks.

Comment

Did we ever lose one of these scrimmages under 3G? I really don’t know.

Comment

Originally posted by TheShocktocles View Post

I was not at the scimage so I don't know who was playing. But anytime you give up 52 points in a 20 minute scimage your defense was nonexistent. I know it's a new team and the Shocks are learning how to play with each other but giving up 52 points to the other team in 20 minutes is ridiculous..
        Good point

Comment

Originally posted by Ashockalypse View Post
          WTF. Are you joking? I remember we clearly got our ass kicked by Kstate and Frank Martin. I am sure there are other examples.

PS. It doesn't matter anyway. These players better pull their heads out of their asses and start playing defense. Defe.nse. and re.bounding is about desire and execution. If a player is not defending and doing his job in he needs to sit on the bench. That is the Coach's job to make that decision. Idon't know what the Shocks did in rebounding in the scimage but I always link defense and rebounding together. Go Shocks.
          Last edited by TheShocktocles; October 17, 2021, 10:21 AM.

Comment

Has it not occurred to anybody that the first scrimmage may have been used to demonstrate to some of the deeper bench players why they are the deeper bench players? Sort of a wake up call to show them where they are in the hierarchy of D1 ball?

Comment

Originally posted by shock View Post

It’s a sarcastic callback to Rashard Kellys criticism of Marshalls coaching style. It’s a reference to lazy defense and run and gun, undisciplined offense. The Mantra of this program used to be MTXE. “Letting dawgs be dawgs” embodies NONE of the MTXE that built this program, and instead embodies the growing trend of discipline being bad.
              i understand the sarcastic reference but can you really make the leap that it will only produce lazy defenseand undisciplined offense after one year. And how can anyone really believe that it embodies the growing trend of discipline being bad. Is this a refence to the basketball team and the problems they are causing because of this mantra because I haven't seen anything in the news referencing this growing problem. MTXE was coined and was very successful for the GS era and those players during that time. don't remember that it implied defensive prowess but just the effort that was expended on the court and especially on the offensive end The 83-84 teram gave up 70+ points 13 times that year and gave up 107 points to Tulsa while scoring 97 themselves. Not much defensive effort by either team. Sorry not buying your analysis either.
              Last edited by pogo; October 17, 2021, 12:05 PM.

Comment

We're talking scrimmage, .... scrimmage! It doesn't matter! It seems to me a good coach would throw this new stable of athletes, probably pretty full of them selves, out on the floor and let them get their asses kicked. Sends a good message that it takes more than talent.

Then a good coach would put the veteran's out there on the second scrimmage to show the newbies how it is done.

Well done CB.

Comment

Originally posted by TheShocktocles View Post

WTF. Are you joking? I remember we clearly got our ass kicked by Kstate and Frank Martin. I am sure there are other examples.

PS. It doesn't matter anyway. These players better pull their heads out of their asses and start playing defense. Defe.nse. and re.bounding is about desire and execution. If a player is not defending and doing his job in he needs to sit on the bench. That is the Coach's job to make that decision. Idon't know what the Shocks did in rebounding in the scimage but I always link defense and rebounding together. Go Shocks.

Comment

I'd be shocked if any of those kids suddenly saw that they don't deserve minutes

Comment

That would be why I put it as a question.

Comment

Originally posted by WuTheOne View Post
                        Has it not occurred to anybody that the first scrimmage may have been used to demonstrate to some of the deeper bench players why they are the deeper bench players?
                        Would make a lot more sense if it was to try out the newcomers to see which ones are ready for the DI pace in a game-like setting. And also to tune up the starters and get them in a game frame of mind.
                        Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by Ashockalypse View Post
                          My recollection is they were much like this one. Some good things, some bad things.

Comment

Originally posted by WuTheOne View Post
                            Has it not occurred to anybody that the first scrimmage may have been used to demonstrate to some of the deeper bench players why they are the deeper bench players? Sort of a wake up call to show them where they are in the hierarchy of D1 ball?
                            LOL WelI I got to give you that one. Pretty smart move by the Coaches to show the new Colts that they are not Thoroughbreds yet. This ain't high school ball or AAU ball. Go Shocks.

Comment

Look I'm not trying to go one way or the other with this line of arguing, but my question is:

What "youngsters" got so much playing time that it caused us to get doubled up by a middling, at best, Big 12 team?

Seriously....Mo and Chaunce didn't play. I'm going to assume that Gaston-Chapman didn't play (and if he did then things are even worse than anyone thinks, in more ways than one).

That leaves 10 players. Tyson, RC4, Monzy, Dex, Craig Porter, Qua and Joe all have plenty of experience.

That leaves Kenny, Isaac and Jalen. If those 3 played enough to get our asses kicked, then we were pissing up a rope. I doubt they played THAT much, so a good part of the beating is on our guys that we're going to count on all season.

And yes, I completely agree with shoxlax , no Mo is a huge freaking problem for this team. And I think that says something as well, in a variety of ways.

Comment

You guys are silly. Caring what happens in this scrimmage is moronic. The Oral Roberts dude is a matchup nightmare and probably got on a heater. That Dude is probably unstoppable when the stakes are low.

SF has overblown RK’s comments. The biggest issue last year was the inability to truly sit talented players if they made mistakes (missing box outs). Hopefully a slight increase in depth provides coach the flexibility to make points of emphasis “hurt” when appropriate.

Comment

Working...
                                X