• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That only works if Zags join.

Comment

Originally posted by BostonWu View Post
      That only works if Zags join.
      If the rumors are true, the zags would jump for the right deal.

that is not the right deal.
      People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by shock View Post

If the rumors are true, the zags would jump for the right deal.

that is not the right deal.
        I don’t see them getting into the PAC12 so what are their options? Big East isn’t gonna go that far west.

Comment

It wouldn't be the worst setup, even though I'd prefer a conference less west as a whole. But this setup wouldn't be bad.

With that said, I believe the exit fee for the AAC is 10M. Are donors ready to pony up for that to switch conferences again?

What will the TV deals look like on either side? I believe we're currently making a little over 2M in the AAC. With the current MWC deal and a similar split, we'd be getting about 1M less per year. Still much better than what we were getting in the MVC, but essentially half of what we are currently getting. I admit, that the TV deal for the AAC is going to change and it will be dependent upon who would be added, and the same would go for the MWC.

In the above scenario, the MWC would lose it's top football piece and the AAC would also lose Memphis, which would be one of the top AAC football and basketball pieces left. Does adding Gonazaga and WSU basketball offset that for the MWC? Doubtful. Does adding Tulsa, SMU and NMSU (football) do enough to try and maintain that 4M per (full) share payout? Really hard to say. Would Fox/CBS/Whoever has the MWC be willing to up the ante to help the MWC smack down the AAC as competition? Again, doubtful, but who knows. Maybe they want to try and take a piece from ESPN. Is ESPN willing to pay up to save the AAC product and pull teams from the west?

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out over the next year or two. Rough numbers show we'd get less than 2M from the exit fees of Cincinnati, Houston and UCF, so that's not going to be used to buy our way out of the AAC.

I think in the end, we're still going to be in the AAC and that it will still be the 7th best basketball conference on a yearly basis.
          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

The AAC could be on its way to emulating CUSA.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
              Big East isn’t gonna go that far west.
              Not sure that is an absolute. Whether the Big East and Gonzaga would want to try to arrange a basketball only deal who knows. Not sure what Gonzaga would do with the rest of their sports. Would the West Coast Conference be open to letting Gonzaga move basketball and leave the rest of their sports in place?

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                It wouldn't be the worst setup, even though I'd prefer a conference less west as a whole. But this setup wouldn't be bad.

With that said, I believe the exit fee for the AAC is 10M. Are donors ready to pony up for that to switch conferences again?

What will the TV deals look like on either side? I believe we're currently making a little over 2M in the AAC. With the current MWC deal and a similar split, we'd be getting about 1M less per year. Still much better than what we were getting in the MVC, but essentially half of what we are currently getting. I admit, that the TV deal for the AAC is going to change and it will be dependent upon who would be added, and the same would go for the MWC.

In the above scenario, the MWC would lose it's top football piece and the AAC would also lose Memphis, which would be one of the top AAC football and basketball pieces left. Does adding Gonazaga and WSU basketball offset that for the MWC? Doubtful. Does adding Tulsa, SMU and NMSU (football) do enough to try and maintain that 4M per (full) share payout? Really hard to say. Would Fox/CBS/Whoever has the MWC be willing to up the ante to help the MWC smack down the AAC as competition? Again, doubtful, but who knows. Maybe they want to try and take a piece from ESPN. Is ESPN willing to pay up to save the AAC product and pull teams from the west?

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out over the next year or two. Rough numbers show we'd get less than 2M from the exit fees of Cincinnati, Houston and UCF, so that's not going to be used to buy our way out of the AAC.

I think in the end, we're still going to be in the AAC and that it will still be the 7th best basketball conference on a yearly basis.
                The following, I put in a different thread. Wuzee had done a T-Rank listing on the current/to be former AAC along with many of the schools being talked about as potential additions. Below was my addition to his post:

Above, using Wuzee's numbers, it shows that for remaining AAC teams that it has averaged 1 top 50 / 3 top 100 / 5 top 150 teams.

For grins, I looked at the Atl-10 T-Rank for the last 10 years. I do not include any schools that are no longer there.

Atl-10: 2.3 top 50 / 6.0 top 100 / 8.9 top 150.

The Atl-10 had down years in 2018 and 2019, but over the last 2 years are 2.5 top 50 / 6.5 top 100 / 9.0 top 150.

Remember, the AAC numbers are with WSU.

Also, I've said before that the AAC is primarily going for football schools, not basketball. I think the AAC would fall below the Atl-10 and be in a mix with the next 2 conferences for 8-10. This is especially true if Memphis finds the kind of home they would like.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

Not sure that is an absolute. Whether the Big East and Gonzaga would want to try to arrange a basketball only deal who knows. Not sure what Gonzaga would do with the rest of their sports. Would the West Coast Conference be open to letting Gonzaga move basketball and leave the rest of their sports in place?
                  There's no such thing as basketball only. If Gonzaga joins another conference, it will be for all sponsored sports.
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

The following, I put in a different thread. Wuzee had done a T-Rank listing on the current/to be former AAC along with many of the schools being talked about as potential additions. Below was my addition to his post:

Above, using Wuzee's numbers, it shows that for remaining AAC teams that it has averaged 1 top 50 / 3 top 100 / 5 top 150 teams.

For grins, I looked at the Atl-10 T-Rank for the last 10 years. I do not include any schools that are no longer there.

Atl-10: 2.3 top 50 / 6.0 top 100 / 8.9 top 150.

The Atl-10 had down years in 2018 and 2019, but over the last 2 years are 2.5 top 50 / 6.5 top 100 / 9.0 top 150.

Remember, the AAC numbers are with WSU.

Also, I've said before that the AAC is primarily going for football schools, not basketball. I think the AAC would fall below the Atl-10 and be in a mix with the next 2 conferences for 8-10. This is especially true if Memphis finds the kind of home they would like.
                    I'm using the Pomeroy numbers that were posted on Twitter a few days ago. The AAC is still solidly locked into the 7th spot and it's not really that close.

Yes, football will play a big part in additions, but the AAC still takes basketball seriously and that will have consideration. The AAC still isn't falling behind those that are currently behind us. I believe even after the moves, we're still closer to 6th than 8th is to 7th. I may have to try and go find that post later.

And considering the A10 only has 14 schools, you're numbers are skewed as your last averages totals 18. Even accounting for some rounding errors with averages, that seems excessive.

I can't find the payout for the A10, but I'm pretty sure it would be in the realm of what we would get in the MVC, maybe slightly better, but with much higher travel costs. I'm also not sure Memphis has an escape, but if they do find one, we can reevaluate then. I'll take Memphis, Tulsa and SMU, along with the others, over the other conferences right now. And the Pomeroy numbers definitely support that.

I did see where ESPN does have an out on our deal should the AAC lose Cincinnati, UCF or UCon. Well, we will have lost all three. So the amount we get from the media deal is going to change and that could tip the scale. But again, it depends if the AAC and ESPN can pull off western expansion or not. That saves the media deal and boosts the conference. If it doesn't, we're going to take a financial hit, but basketball will still be strong enough. The Wuzee post shows that there are some solid additions even for basketball and most of those options have football strengths that could be of value there as well. And it's very possible that those schools would improve their recruiting by being in a better conference which could make those numbers even better with some time.

The sky isn't falling. Money still matters, as does TV exposure. The AAC is still the best option currently. The MWC could be a good secondary option, especially if they were to pull in Gonzaga. And they could have a legit east/west divide to help with travel costs. The AAC could also do that if moving back to 12. They may not do it for basketball, but they would with other sports to keep costs down. Keeping travel to Tulsa, SMU, Memphis and Tulane and one other would help. The MWC would have similar benefits as proposed in the previous article. The A10 does not provide that option and offers less money.

We're fine where we are. We will be fine where we are based on what we currently know.

RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Is our exit fee the same as everyone elses? even though we get 30% of everyone else?

Comment

There's no such thing as basketball only. If Gonzaga joins another conference, it will be for all sponsored sports.
                        Is their a carve out for football only? How does Dallas Baptist have baseball only in the Valley. Is that because everything else is D-II?

Is there no such thing because it can't be done or because it has never been done?

Just curious for my own education.

Comment

And considering the A10 only has 14 schools, you're numbers are skewed as your last averages totals 18. Even accounting for some rounding errors with averages, that seems excessive.
                          Those T-Rankings are cumulative. For example, the Atl-10 averaged 6.5 current schools in the top 100 the last 2 years of which 2.5 current schools were also in the top 50. Over 10 years, 6.0 current schools of which 2.3 were also in the top 50.

AAC teams not including Cincy, Houston, and UCF (and UConn): Last 4 years top 50 is 0.75 / top 100 is 4.0 / top 150 is 5.5.
                          WSU is apart of those top 50 and top 100 numbers. That leaves an average of 2.5 schools not in the top 150.

We are comparing conferences with much different number of total schools....14 Atl-10 and 8 AAC. So, yes, the remaining AAC may look a little better, but those numbers include WSU always in the top 100. What if WSU was in the Atl-10? Their numbers would go up and the AAC's would go down.

Almost regardless how the AAC ends up, if Memphis has a chance to bolt (up), they will.

The AAC has been gutted. We didn't jump to be able to play Tulsa and SMU. We jumped to play Cincy, Houston, and UConn ( as I said, Memphis will be gone if they're given a chance to).

For the record, I'm not opposed to some sort of combination with MWC schools. I just think it would have to include SDSU.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

Is their a carve out for football only? How does Dallas Baptist have baseball only in the Valley. Is that because everything else is D-II?

Is there no such thing because it can't be done or because it has never been done?

Just curious for my own education.
                            Wherever basketball is, is your home. DBU is because they're DII in everything else and DI in baseball only so they get affiliate status. You can be an affiliate in sports in other conferences if your home conference doesn't support that sport. Football is the exception, but mostly because not all conferences support it. Navy does it because their home conference doesn't sponsor FBS football. Same with Hawaii and the MWC. That's why UCon is now independent in football because the Big East doesn't sponsor it and nobody wants them as an affiliate. Liberty had to sue their way into FBS because nobody wanted to give them a conference home so they're independent. You used to have to have a conference invite to move up. It's also why in the article they mention adding New Mexico State as a football only member, because they're currently an independent because the WAC no longer sponsors FBS football.

I'm trying to think of a case where a team has football in another conference even though their home conference offers it and I can't think of one. Notre Dame being independent is the closest scenario because all of their other sports have a home in the ACC. It's also why if AFA were to add football only to the AAC as some have wanted, they'd have to move their other sports to a conference that doesn't support FBS football like the WAC.
                            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

I sure wish we'd add DBU in baseball. As it stands right now, we have no autobid in 2023 (best as I can tell).

Comment

Originally posted by WuTheOne View Post
                                Highly complimentary article from a Missouri writer's perspective on a Missouri fan site..

https://www.rockmnation.com/2021/9/1...-tyson-etienne
                                No mention of freshman Kenney Pohto in the article that I could see....did mention that Udeze would be backed up by freshmen Ricks and Abidde, and junior transfer Pleasant.

Comment

Working...
                                X