2021-22 National Rankings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shock View Post

Yeah… cause Penny has shown time and time again that he can win with the overwhelming talent advantage he has every year.
    Fresh, interesting take that I have not seen this website before.

Comment

Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

Fresh, interesting take that I have not seen this website before.
      Shall I expound for you?
      People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Is Gonzaga still the favorite in the Way-Too-Early Top 25 college basketball rankings for 2021-22? - ESPN

7. Memphis Tigers (Previous: 7)
        8. Michigan Wolverines (Previous: 8) *Vegas Tourney
        15. Houston Cougars (Previous: 15)

Next in line:
        26. Oklahoma State Cowboys (previous: No. 23)

Comment

Kenpom is now active. Starting point #62

Houston #11
          Memphis #13
          UCF #60
          SMU #61

Comment

See Arizona's at 47.
            Dominance is a state of mind.

Comment

Oklahoma State is 37.

Comment

AP Top 25
                https://collegebasketball.ap.org/hometownsource/poll

Poll Released: Oct 18 2021

Teams of Interest
                #6. Michigan (Vegas)
                #12. Memphis
                #15. Houston
                #29. Arizona (Vegas)
                #31. Oklahoma State

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock Reaper View Post
                  AP Top 25
                  https://collegebasketball.ap.org/hometownsource/poll

Poll Released: Oct 18 2021

Teams of Interest
                  #6. Michigan (Vegas)
                  #12. Memphis
                  #15. Houston
                  #29. Arizona (Vegas)
                  #31. Oklahoma State
                  I support IB 100% and think he was a good hire. With what the Shox are returning, if Marshall was still the coach, the Shox would be getting votes. There's a perception thing in the media and IB is going to have to prove himself before the media gives him any respect.

Comment

Dick Vitale's college basketball preseason Top 40 rankings for 2021-22 - ESPN

By Dick Vitale, College Basketball Analyst
                    Oct 20, 2021

"Thanks so much to everyone for the overwhelming amount of prayers, support and well-wishes I've received since announcing my lymphoma diagnosis. Your love means the world to me as a I prepare for this fight! In the meantime, I am so excited for the 2021-22 college basketball season to get underway. Has it really been that long since Baylor cut down the nets, beating an unbeaten Gonzaga squad that was favored?

The transfer portal has changed everything, and a number of teams have relied heavily on it. Several stars have changed teams and their moves will influence my rankings.

It is fun to sit down and put together my preseason top 40. College hoops has so many competitive matchups and exciting tournaments scheduled for November. The bottom line, and the goal, is simple: to cut down the nets in April.

Time to go out on a limb, baby! Keep track to see how well I did!

Teams of Interest
                    4. Michigan Wolverines - The Wolverines will be the team to beat in a loaded Big Ten. Juwan Howard has a solid blend of veterans and newcomers. Hunter Dickinson was among the best big men in America last season. Caleb Houstan is one of the highest-regarded diaper dandies, and can do it all at 6-8. Eli Brooks is back as a grad student to provide experience and leadership. Michigan will be a Final Four contender and battle-tested in a competitive league.

6. Memphis Tigers - Penny Hardaway has two of the best diaper dandies in Jalen Duren and Emoni Bates. How will they adjust to the college game? Odds are they will do just fine. There will be pressure of expectation, but they should be ready to succeed. Landers Nolley II should continue to post impressive numbers; the former Virginia Tech transfer will score to take pressure off the freshmen. This team will battle Houston for the AAC title.

16. Houston Cougars - The Cougars made the Final Four last season. Quentin Grimes is gone, so Marcus Sasser figures to be the shining star for the Cougars. Kyler Edwards transferred in from Texas Tech and he figures to contribute. Kelvin Sampson has 111 wins over the last four seasons and should go well over 20 more victories this season.

31. Arizona Wildcats..."

Comment

We open with Arizona, correct? Or is it the Wolverines?

If Udeze plays good the Shocks might be able to stay in the game/s.

Comment

Ranking Every Team in Men’s College Basketball, From Gonzaga (No. 1) to UMES (No. 358) - Sports Illustrated

BY KEVIN SWEENEY AND MOLLY GEARY
                        11/02/21, 9:30am cst

"Whether it's the top 25 or those fighting to stay out of conference basements, SI sets expectations for all of Division I.

The 2021–22 college basketball season begins next week, and after a one-year hiatus, Sports Illustrated’s annual preseason ranking of every men’s Division I team is back.

College hoops often feels all-encompassing—it’s not uncommon to see the sport’s elite teams host even the weakest D-I competition in nonconference play, and every March, programs that the average fan knows nothing about get their chance on the biggest stage. It can be overwhelming to look at the sheer number of D-I teams (currently 358) and sort through expectations. That’s why we’re here. This year’s 1–358 ranking was put together by SI college basketball writer Kevin Sweeney, who set out on the task of weighing the placement of every program in the country. Some of the rankings of all 358 teams out there are analytical or built with an algorithm. This one isn’t that, but several factors were considered: returning production (and projected growth for those players), transfer additions, recruiting gains, program and coach reputation, conference strength and more. The hope was to capture a snapshot of preseason expectations, from the Power 5 down to the low mid-majors.

Below are the results, plus insights and information from Sweeney and editor Molly Geary on the SI preseason top 25 and dozens of other notable teams, all the way down to No. 358. And for conference ratings based on the national ranking, click here....

6. Memphis (1st in AAC): College basketball’s most interesting coaching staff (Penny Hardaway and assistants Rasheed Wallace and Larry Brown) will oversee a wildly talented roster led by 6’ 9” freshman playmaker (and former SI cover star) Emoni Bates.

13. Houston (2nd in AAC): Kelvin Sampson has built a program with staying power, so the Cougars will remain relevant despite losing three starters from a Final Four team. Guards Kyler Edwards and Marcus Sasser will score, and any Sampson-led team will defend and rebound well.

44. Wichita State (3rd in AAC)
                        60. SMU (4th in AAC)
                        81. Cincinnati (5th in AAC)
                        86. UCF (6th in AAC)

112. Tulsa (7th in AAC)
                        129. Temple (8th in AAC)
                        157. South Florida (9th in AAC)
                        171. East Carolina (10th in AAC)
                        173. Tulane (11th in AAC)..."

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock Reaper View Post
                          Ranking Every Team in Men’s College Basketball, From Gonzaga (No. 1) to UMES (No. 358) - Sports Illustrated

11/02/21, 9:30am cst

"Whether it's the top 25 or those fighting to stay out of conference basements, SI sets expectations for all of Division I.

The 2021–22 college basketball season begins next week, and after a one-year hiatus, Sports Illustrated’s annual preseason ranking of every men’s Division I team is back.

College hoops often feels all-encompassing—it’s not uncommon to see the sport’s elite teams host even the weakest D-I competition in nonconference play, and every March, programs that the average fan knows nothing about get their chance on the biggest stage. It can be overwhelming to look at the sheer number of D-I teams (currently 358) and sort through expectations. That’s why we’re here. This year’s 1–358 ranking was put together by SI college basketball writer Kevin Sweeney, who set out on the task of weighing the placement of every program in the country. Some of the rankings of all 358 teams out there are analytical or built with an algorithm. This one isn’t that, but several factors were considered: returning production (and projected growth for those players), transfer additions, recruiting gains, program and coach reputation, conference strength and more. The hope was to capture a snapshot of preseason expectations, from the Power 5 down to the low mid-majors.

Below are the results, plus insights and information from Sweeney and editor Molly Geary on the SI preseason top 25 and dozens of other notable teams, all the way down to No. 358. And for conference ratings based on the national ranking, click here....

6. Memphis (1st in AAC): College basketball’s most interesting coaching staff (Penny Hardaway and assistants Rasheed Wallace and Larry Brown) will oversee a wildly talented roster led by 6’ 9” freshman playmaker (and former SI cover star) Emoni Bates.

13. Houston (2nd in AAC): Kelvin Sampson has built a program with staying power, so the Cougars will remain relevant despite losing three starters from a Final Four team. Guards Kyler Edwards and Marcus Sasser will score, and any Sampson-led team will defend and rebound well.

44. Wichita State (3rd in AAC)
                          60. SMU (4th in AAC)
                          81. Cincinnati (5th in AAC)
                          86. UCF (6th in AAC)

112. Tulsa (7th in AAC)
                          129. Temple (8th in AAC)
                          157. South Florida (9th in AAC)
                          171. East Carolina (10th in AAC)
                          173. Tulane (11th in AAC)..."

I keep seeing Emoni Bates being tossed out as the reason Memphis will be good. Yes he's 6'9 .. hes also only 190 at 6'9. He reclassified so he doesn't turn 18 until January. I've also heard attitude is a huge problem with him. Maybe I'm wrong, I just don't see him walking and being a world beater day 1 in D1 ball. There are other players on the Memphis team that concern me more than him.

Comment

SPORTS ILLUSTRATED - Conference rankings (Top 15)

A deeper dive into SI’s men’s college basketball rankings examines what the data tells us about perceptions around various leagues.

Pre-season Rankings
                            1 Big 12 40.6
                            2 Big Ten 47.6
                            3 SEC 57.0
                            4 Big East 58.5
                            5 ACC 60.8
                            6 Pac-12 66.6
                            7 American 94.0
                            8 WCC 117.1
                            9 Atlantic 10 120.9
                            10 Missouri Valley 123.0
                            11 Mountain West 141.7
                            12 C-USA 151.2
                            13 MAC 182.3
                            14 Sun Belt 199.7
                            15 CAA 205.7

Comment

Palm has Shocks as a 12 seed, play in round.

Comment

I wouldn't mind that 12/12 matchup vs. Nevada if for no other reason than to prove that:
                                Qua Grant > Grant Sherfield

Comment

Working...
                                X