2021-22 National Rankings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post

And they finished 3rd. Year before, they finished 5th. Both years behind us. I do agree that they have had our number, though.
    Well I would like for that to change. I am not a fan of Penny or the arrogant Memphis fan base. But those folks that constantly criticize Penny coaching on this board need to understand that he is constantly beating our team. He has a 75% winning record against the Shocks. That is domination. Thus saying he can't coach makes us look petty and small in my opinion.

I would rather Coach Brown and our players figure out a way to beat Memphis. I am sure they will probably come into Koch next year ranked in the top 10. I would love for the Shocks to send them back to Memphis with a loss. Go Shocks.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

It's referenced quite a bit in popped culture. But I suppose I'm not as hip or savvy enough in the world of marijuana. So since you're the expert on the subject, why don't you correct my phrasing into the proper, less corny way?
      Oh, I get it. Corny. Popped culture. Good one, Mr. Redenbacher.

Comment

Its all about matchups and historically we did not have a roster that matches up with Memphis, especially when they’re clicking on all cylinders. The thing about Memphis is they they always look really good on paper, but their youth causes a lot of inconsistency. We just haven’t had the benefit of seeing it.

Comment

I remember kicking Memphis’s ass at the round house and Penny went home crying. This was after he said the black out could not intimidate his high and mighty team.

Comment

Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

Oh, I get it. Corny. Popped culture. Good one, Mr. Redenbacher.
            You’re weird.

Is it your time of the month or something?
            Deuces Valley.
            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

I don't think there's any doubt Memphis will be solid. Emoni Bates might be one of the most NBA ready prospects in the last few years and he'll have to stay 2 years at Memphis because of his age. Might be a similar situation to the 13-14 Kentucky team. If the coaching staff is improved with their additions they could be really, really good. At the end of the day, I doubt they'll be as good as some people have them projected. Even if they are, I think the Shocks will still be more than competitive with Isaac Brown coaching against Penny.
              Brummett throws, STRUCK HIM OUT! THE SHOCKERS ARE NATIONAL CHAMPIONS! AN UNBELIEVABLE STORY!

Comment

Memphis may have the talent to be #3, but they do not have the coach. They might be #3 in the AAC.
                Give me a team full of a talent with a less then stellar coach over a team with a good coach and lesser talent. That's just common sense....

Comment

Originally posted by Horn28Clem30 View Post

Give me a team full of a talent with a less then stellar coach over a team with a good coach and lesser talent. That's just common sense....
                  Are you on pot?

Comment

"How high does Memphis climb in Way-Too-Early Top 25 college basketball rankings for 2021-22?" - ESPN.COM

By Jeff Borzello, ESPN Staff Writer
                    08/31/21, 6:25 AM CT

"Rosters are finally set for the 2021-22 college basketball season -- at least we think that's the case. With Western Kentucky announcing it was signing Cincinnati transfer Keith Williams, every transfer in ESPN's top 100 rankings has picked his destination. And with Emoni Bates announcing his commitment to Memphis last week, every prospect in the ESPN 100 has chosen a college or the G League.

So, barring a late reclassification or last-minute transfer, the landscape is pretty much settled for the upcoming campaign. And the movement of the past month has brought us a new name for the Final Four and national championship conversations.

In the July update to these rankings, Memphis was nowhere to be found. The Tigers brought back three starters from a team that won the NIT championship and signed three high-major transfers and a solid high school recruiting class. But they also had just one win over an NCAA tournament team in 2020-21 and lost three players who started at least 11 games. So, there were a lot of questions. After the past month, there are far fewer questions.

Penny Hardaway landed elite recruits Emoni Bates and Jalen Duren, both projected top-five picks in the next two NBA drafts. The addition of Duren on his own would have brought Memphis into the top 20. But getting Bates away from Oregon and the G League gives the Tigers as much on-paper talent as anyone in the country -- and puts them squarely in the national discussion.

Teams of Interest:
                    7. Memphis Tigers (Previous: Unranked)
                    With the addition of Emoni Bates, Penny Hardaway has countless personnel combinations he can use this season. The below quintet is my favorite group, for a few reasons. We've heard how Bates is going to play a Hardaway-like role as the team's point guard, but since he isn't a natural point guard and can sometimes struggle with his ballhandling, a secondary playmaker is going to be useful -- and that's where Earl Timberlake comes in. Timberlake struggled as a freshman at Miami, but he was a projected one-and-done draft pick before last season and can initiate off the bounce like he did at the high school level. Timberlake and DeAndre Williams also are excellent passers. Landers Nolley II and Bates can provide the shooting, and then there's Jalen Duren on the interior. Duren is going to be a dominant force, especially defensively and on the glass. These five -- even without a true point guard -- also could be absolutely dominant as a group defensively, given their size, length and versatility.

8. Michigan Wolverines (Previous: 7) - potential opponent in Las Vegas Tournament

15. Houston Cougars (Previous: 14)
                    Houston's quest to return to the top of the AAC standings (after finishing second to Wichita State last season) got much more difficult after Memphis' additions this month, but the Cougars have enough players of their own to stake their claim as league favorite. Kelvin Sampson is 5-1 against the Tigers since Penny Hardaway took over in 2018, with four of those six games being decided by three points or fewer. Both matchups last season went down to the final minute, with Houston's Tramon Mark hitting a half-court buzzer-beater to win the first meeting and Justin Gorham scoring six points in the final 72 seconds to knock Memphis out of the AAC tournament by two points in the second matchup. This season will see a contrast in styles between the two teams. We mentioned Memphis' size earlier, while Houston's offensive production will primarily come from its perimeter players. Marcus Sasser and Mark return, while Kyler Edwards is known from his time at Texas Tech. Cal State Bakersfield transfer Taze Moore might be flying under the radar; he was a first-team All-Big West performer and brings size, versatility and outstanding defensive ability.

23. Oklahoma State Cowboys (Previous: 22)..."

Comment

Originally posted by Horn28Clem30 View Post

It's not about the Xs and Os, it's about the Jimmies and the Joes, right WuShock16 ?

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

It's not about the Xs and Os, it's about the Jimmies and the Joes, right WuShock16 ?
                        when talking about the x's and o's... the jimmies and the joes.. as biggie said.. don't forget about the "money..hoes..and clothes"

Comment

Lunardi has us nowhere near the Tourney. Memphis as the AQ and Houston as a 4.

Comment

https://twitter.com/ESPNLunardi/stat...030963203?s=19
                            I'd like to slap him silly...

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

https://twitter.com/ESPNLunardi/stat...030963203?s=19
                              Yeah… cause Penny has shown time and time again that he can win with the overwhelming talent advantage he has every year.
                              People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by shock View Post

Yeah… cause Penny has shown time and time again that he can win with the overwhelming talent advantage he has every year.
                                ...and the Shocks have been to the tourney in what like 8 out of the last 10 years or something like that. Lol. Geez these doubters in the media really suck balls. Lol
                                FINAL FOURS:
                                1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                                1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                                Number of Times Ranked: 157
                                Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                                Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                                Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                                #3 - Dec. 2017
                                #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                                #2 ~ March 2014
                                Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Working...
                                X