No announcement yet.

2021-22 Expectations for Shocker Basketball – “Summertime Edition”

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Awesome!!!! I really liked his statement where he said he can impact the game even when shots are not falling by defense and hustling. If this team can come together and play elite defense they have a chance to be special. Go Shocks.

Comment

If you're not going to go all the way, why go?

Comment

Definitely wouldn't hurt to have that option open.
        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Quotables: First Practice

https://goshockers.com/news/2021/9/2...-practice.aspx

With just six weeks remaining until Wichita State's 2021-22 regular season opener, head coach Isaac Brown welcomed local media to attend the team's first official in-season men's basketball practice.

Coaches now have up to 20 hours-per-week to spend on basketball activities, up from four hours of on-court instruction during the summer months.

… The first official practice of the 2021-22 season:
          "We've been working all summer – four hours a week – on a lot of shooting and defensive principles. I'm just excited that we can go 20 hours a week now. And tomorrow our whole team will be vaccinated, so that really makes me excited."

… His early evaluation of this year's team:
          "Our veteran guys look really good. Tyson (Etienne) had a great summer, doing all of the NBA travel and working out with teams. He's come back with a lot of confidence. Dexter Dennis has really worked on his handle. He's creating shots better. Morris (Udeze) is a load inside. He's gotten himself into tiptop shape. He's really changed his body. We went out and got two transfers, Joe Pleasant and Qua Grant, who have really been playing well. And I like our freshman recruiting class. We've got some size with Kenny Pohto. We got Isaac Abidde late, and we also signed another shooter with Jalen Ricks."

… The three incoming freshmen:
          "I think, down the line, all our freshman will be really good. Kenny Pohto is 6-11, he can shoot threes, he played at Sunrise on a team that finished runner-up in the national championship game. Isaac Abidde -- a kid from Albany, Georgia – is a freak athlete who can really score on the block and can shoot threes. Jalen Ricks is a big-time shooter. I think all of those guys will really help us at some point during the year."

… Whether Etienne has another jump in him, similar to the one he made between his freshman sophomore seasons:
          "I think so. The game is slowing down for him. I think he's getting used to the double-teams and used to being denied the ball, so he's starting to do other things like creating shots for other guys on the team. He's moving better without the ball and learning to use screens. He's gotten himself in tip-top shape, and he's better at creating shots off the bounce."

… What kind of impact Abilene Christian transfer Joe Pleasant will make:
          "Joe is an experienced guy. He started at the four at Abilene Christian. He won two conference championships and has been to the NCAA tournament. He's had a great summer. He can score it on the block. He can shoot threes. He's going to be ready to go.

… West Texas A&M transfer Qua Grant:
          "Qua Grant is just what we needed – another ballhandler who can create shots for other guys. He's a big-time defender."

… Showcasing Etienne as a potential NBA point guard without sacrificing his contributions as a catch-and-shoot threat:
          "NBA teams want guys who can create in the half-court. It doesn't really matter who brings the ball up the floor. If you can create in the half court like he did last year in our conference, I think he'll be fine. He's worked a lot. He's going to play the one. He's going to play the two. He's going to play some three. He's just one of those guys that can play multiple positions, and we need him to have a good year."

… Contrasting this year's high expectations with last year's preseason:
          "There was none last year. We were picked seventh in the conference. Those guys overachieved, going out and winning a championship. This year, everybody's going to be expecting us to win at a high level. We've just got to do a good job of what we've been doing at Wichita State for years – defending, rebounding, sharing the ball on offense, and we've got to get off to a good start. And that starts today in practice."

… Playing again in front of a full arena after a year of COVID-19 restrictions:
          "We're so excited about that. I think that's an advantage that we have in our conference, because we can fill that arena. We've got the best fans in the country, and I'm just so excited that they can get back in that gym."

Craig Porter Jr.'s second go-around:
          "I think he will be a different guy this year. He's healthy. He's more athletic. He's done a good job this summer improving his shooting. He's a guy that you want on the floor because he makes other guys around him better."

… Second-year guard Chaunce Jenkins' potential impact:
          "Chaunce was playing behind Tyson last year. He's done a great job of changing his body. He's gotten bigger and stronger, and he had a good summer shooting the basketball. I expect a lot."

… Post depth at center behind Morris Udeze:
          I think we're good at that spot. Kenny Pohto has had a great summer. You could tell he had good coaching at Sunrise. He can defend. He's got a good strong body. He can make threes. And he understands how to run offense. Isaac (Abidde) – another freshman – can also play the four and five spots. He has a big body. He can step out and shoot threes. Morris will get a lot of minutes at that spot, so we'll be good. We've got a lot of depth. Guys will be playing at the four and the five – multiple positions.

… Expectations for Clarence "Monzy" Jackson:
          "Monzy will play the three and the four. He's one of those guys who's got a lot of energy. Put him on the floor and he's going to go offensive rebound. He's also become a better defender. He's really worked on his jump shot this summer. So we're expecting big things from him, as well."

Comment

I can’t wait for the season to start.

Hopefully, we can beat the tar out of UCF, UH, and Cincy.
            "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post
              I can’t wait for the season to start.

Hopefully, we can beat the tar out of UCF, UH, and Cincy.
              Please don't forget Memphis. I am sick of hearing their fans say the AAC championship is between them and Houston. Everybody else is playing for 3,4 and 5th place.

Comment

Originally posted by TheShocktocles View Post

Please don't forget Memphis. I am sick of hearing their fans say the AAC championship is between them and Houston. Everybody else is playing for 3,4 and 5th place.
                They are like a broken record. Every October they are world beaters who will go undefeated and win a natty then by December they have plummeted back to the reality of unfulfilled expectations...

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                  Quotables: First Practice

https://goshockers.com/news/2021/9/2...-practice.aspx

With just six weeks remaining until Wichita State's 2021-22 regular season opener, head coach Isaac Brown welcomed local media to attend the team's first official in-season men's basketball practice.

Coaches now have up to 20 hours-per-week to spend on basketball activities, up from four hours of on-court instruction during the summer months.

… The first official practice of the 2021-22 season:
                  "We've been working all summer – four hours a week – on a lot of shooting and defensive principles. I'm just excited that we can go 20 hours a week now. And tomorrow our whole team will be vaccinated, so that really makes me excited."

… His early evaluation of this year's team:
                  "Our veteran guys look really good. Tyson (Etienne) had a great summer, doing all of the NBA travel and working out with teams. He's come back with a lot of confidence. Dexter Dennis has really worked on his handle. He's creating shots better. Morris (Udeze) is a load inside. He's gotten himself into tiptop shape. He's really changed his body. We went out and got two transfers, Joe Pleasant and Qua Grant, who have really been playing well. And I like our freshman recruiting class. We've got some size with Kenny Pohto. We got Isaac Abidde late, and we also signed another shooter with Jalen Ricks."

… The three incoming freshmen:
                  "I think, down the line, all our freshman will be really good. Kenny Pohto is 6-11, he can shoot threes, he played at Sunrise on a team that finished runner-up in the national championship game. Isaac Abidde -- a kid from Albany, Georgia – is a freak athlete who can really score on the block and can shoot threes. Jalen Ricks is a big-time shooter. I think all of those guys will really help us at some point during the year."

… Whether Etienne has another jump in him, similar to the one he made between his freshman sophomore seasons:
                  "I think so. The game is slowing down for him. I think he's getting used to the double-teams and used to being denied the ball, so he's starting to do other things like creating shots for other guys on the team. He's moving better without the ball and learning to use screens. He's gotten himself in tip-top shape, and he's better at creating shots off the bounce."

… What kind of impact Abilene Christian transfer Joe Pleasant will make:
                  "Joe is an experienced guy. He started at the four at Abilene Christian. He won two conference championships and has been to the NCAA tournament. He's had a great summer. He can score it on the block. He can shoot threes. He's going to be ready to go.

… West Texas A&M transfer Qua Grant:
                  "Qua Grant is just what we needed – another ballhandler who can create shots for other guys. He's a big-time defender."

… Showcasing Etienne as a potential NBA point guard without sacrificing his contributions as a catch-and-shoot threat:
                  "NBA teams want guys who can create in the half-court. It doesn't really matter who brings the ball up the floor. If you can create in the half court like he did last year in our conference, I think he'll be fine. He's worked a lot. He's going to play the one. He's going to play the two. He's going to play some three. He's just one of those guys that can play multiple positions, and we need him to have a good year."

… Contrasting this year's high expectations with last year's preseason:
                  "There was none last year. We were picked seventh in the conference. Those guys overachieved, going out and winning a championship. This year, everybody's going to be expecting us to win at a high level. We've just got to do a good job of what we've been doing at Wichita State for years – defending, rebounding, sharing the ball on offense, and we've got to get off to a good start. And that starts today in practice."

… Playing again in front of a full arena after a year of COVID-19 restrictions:
                  "We're so excited about that. I think that's an advantage that we have in our conference, because we can fill that arena. We've got the best fans in the country, and I'm just so excited that they can get back in that gym."

Craig Porter Jr.'s second go-around:
                  "I think he will be a different guy this year. He's healthy. He's more athletic. He's done a good job this summer improving his shooting. He's a guy that you want on the floor because he makes other guys around him better."

… Second-year guard Chaunce Jenkins' potential impact:
                  "Chaunce was playing behind Tyson last year. He's done a great job of changing his body. He's gotten bigger and stronger, and he had a good summer shooting the basketball. I expect a lot."

… Post depth at center behind Morris Udeze:
                  I think we're good at that spot. Kenny Pohto has had a great summer. You could tell he had good coaching at Sunrise. He can defend. He's got a good strong body. He can make threes. And he understands how to run offense. Isaac (Abidde) – another freshman – can also play the four and five spots. He has a big body. He can step out and shoot threes. Morris will get a lot of minutes at that spot, so we'll be good. We've got a lot of depth. Guys will be playing at the four and the five – multiple positions.

… Expectations for Clarence "Monzy" Jackson:
                  "Monzy will play the three and the four. He's one of those guys who's got a lot of energy. Put him on the floor and he's going to go offensive rebound. He's also become a better defender. He's really worked on his jump shot this summer. So we're expecting big things from him, as well."

No mention of RC4? Interesting.

Comment

That’s not good!

Comment

Originally posted by Ashockalypse View Post
                      That’s not good!
                      "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU View Post

LOL. That is good. But it did just look like Coach was just responding to questions from the media. Go Shocks.

Comment

Originally posted by TheShocktocles View Post

LOL. That is good. But it did just look like Coach was just responding to questions from the media. Go Shocks.
                          I kinda hope Ricky felt slighted...

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

I kinda hope he doesn't give a crap because he's not reading these articles.

Comment

RC4 will be the 2nd best player on the team.
                              "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerPrez View Post
                                RC4 will be the 2nd best player on the team.
                                Well, I guess this means he will shoot better than 63% from the free throw line this year.

Comment

Working...
                                X