Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2021-22 Basketball happenings around the American Athletic!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by WuShock Reaper View Post

If this rule would have been in place last year, the Shockers (11-2) would have been seeded #9 in the Conference Tournament because we along with ECU and SMU failed to play a minimum of 14 games. Houston (14-3) would have been #1 and Memphis at (11-4) #2. #3 would have been Cincinnati (8-6) and #4 UCF (8-10).
    This is the same rule as last year. Worked like this:

WSU 11-2 (13 Games)
    Houston 14-3 (17 Games)
    Memphis 11-4 (15 Games)
    SMU 7-4 (11 Games)
    Cincy 8-6 (14 games)
    UCF 8-10 (18 Games)
    Tulsa 7-9 (16 games)
    USF 4-10 (14 games)
    Temple 4-10 (14 games)
    Tulane 4-12 (16 games)
    ECU 2-10 (12 Games)

The rule is you have to play 75% of the average number of games played.

So the average number of games played were (add those up to 160 divided by 11 teams) is 14.54.

So 75% of that is 10.9 games.

So basically any team that played 11 or more games got seeded based on their winning percentage (all of the teams qualified). Then if a played less than 11 games, those would then be sorted by winning percentage in a second group. So if SMU had missed one more game they would have been bumped to the very bottom in seeding.

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post
      Obvious question for me is say a team gets out to a really hot start and goes 14-0 or get to 14-1 or 14-2. Will they have a "Covid" shutdown to claim the 1 seed and get some extra time?
      Theoretically, Yes they could ... it's why i don't like the rule.

Comment

• Unlikely, but I could see a scenario where a team could be generally healthy, missing zero games or only a couple of games due to them having a covid problem, but miss a bunch of games due strictly to other teams' problems happening at times where they would have played WSU.

Shouldn't a team only be penalized if it is their fault? If so, that game should count as played even though there is no forfeit.

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post
          Obvious question for me is say a team gets out to a really hot start and goes 14-0 or get to 14-1 or 14-2. Will they have a "Covid" shutdown to claim the 1 seed and get some extra time?
          I would hope the league mandates that a team would have to prove the team has tested positive in order to forfeit. I mean you gotta play the games if your healthy right. But...how would the league enforce that though?
          FINAL FOURS:
          1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
          1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
          Number of Times Ranked: 157
          Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
          Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
          Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
          #3 - Dec. 2017
          #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
          #2 ~ March 2014
          Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• Originally posted by AZ Shocker View Post
            I would hope the league mandates that a team would have to prove the team has tested positive in order to forfeit. I mean you gotta play the games if your healthy right. But...how would the league enforce that though?
            Technically, I believe, it is not a forfeit, but a no contest. But I agree, there should be testing of both teams. That's why my post above. I do not feel it should work against the "healthy" team as missing a game either. It should not be a win or a loss, but added as a game "played" for the healthy team.

Comment

I'm not sure the league can require them to provide player health information ... It likely has to be taken at the schools word.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShock Reaper View Post

If this rule would have been in place last year, the Shockers (11-2) would have been seeded #9 in the Conference Tournament because we along with ECU and SMU failed to play a minimum of 14 games. Houston (14-3) would have been #1 and Memphis at (11-4) #2. #3 would have been Cincinnati (8-6) and #4 UCF (8-10).
                And yet it wasn't us canceling the games ...
                Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

• Forfeit for not being able to play is the only sane thing to do. Soccer figured this out decades ago (if not centuries) and it works very well. A win by forfeit counts the same as any other win. You'd be surprised how few games get canceled when that is the rule.

Being able to game it when a couple of star players are sick/injured/whatever sucks. Forfeit rules prevent that.
                  Last edited by Kung Wu; December 28, 2021, 01:05 PM.
                  Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

I'm not sure the league can require them to provide player health information ... It likely has to be taken at the schools word.
                    Imagine that! But yet my employer requires me to do just that. Lol
                    FINAL FOURS:
                    1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                    1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                    Number of Times Ranked: 157
                    Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                    Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                    Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                    #3 - Dec. 2017
                    #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                    #2 ~ March 2014
                    Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Imagine that! But yet my employer requires me to do just that. Lol
                      "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

As lomng as individual identification is not disclosed, there is no HIPAA violation. The school could be required to report that a,b,c,d,e,f,g,h were tested, a,c,d,g were positive. They could probably even provide test results with names redacted, or submit the tests with numbers instead of names. Lots of ways to skin that cat.
                        "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                        ---------------------------------------
                        Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                        "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                        "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• Originally posted by im4wsu View Post
                          Lots of ways to skin that cat.
                          Yikes!
                          "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by TrackSuitAndTie View Post
                              Ouch. That's painful for them

Comment

• Keshawn Embery-Simpson: 6-3 Jr. G played in 12 of 14 games averaging 19.2 minutes in the games he played in. Averaged 3.6 PPG, 0.8 RPG and 1.3 APG.

Josh Earley only played 29 minutes spread over 5 non-conference games. A non-factor on this year's Tulsa team.

I don't think this is all that significant to Tulsa.

Comment

Working...
                                X