Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2021-22 Basketball happenings around the American Athletic!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looks like SMU, Tulane and UCF are opting for 2 closed scrimmages and no exhibition games. Which is okay. However, in Tulane's case one of those closed scrimmages is against a NAIA team. Perhaps less costly than paying a team to come in for an exhibition game that probably wouldn't draw flies anyway?

Perhaps Memphis believes it is so talented they don't really need to be challenged and the two exhibitions they are playing are against nearby D-II schools. LeMoyne-Owne is in Memphis and and Lane College is 90 miles NE of Memphis on I-40. Perhaps send a few bucks to the little guys for their troubles.

Last edited by 1972Shocker; October 15, 2021, 02:28 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
      Bardo said creating “an elite little liberal arts college” at WSU “ain’t gonna work.”

“Do we wish we were an elite little liberal arts college?” Bardo said to the crowd. “That’s not who we are.

“We’re educating people like you and me who have to go to work for a living.”

Bardo said Fairmount College — what WSU was formerly known as — was founded “to serve the working people of Wichita, not to serve the intellectual elite.”

He said technology was a key part in that.

“When we look at tomorrow, what we know is that technology is going to continue to underwrite everything that happens. And it’s going to continue to spread.”

He said that “big science” will drive the future.

“We also know that the vast majority of federal funds and almost all private money is in applied research and development,” Bardo said.

Bardo addressed criticism of the university’s heavy focus on business and engineering.

“There are people who don’t like businesses being on campus,” Bardo said. “Fairmount College survived because some businesses in Wichita underwrote it. Because the reality is, times were always hard in Wichita.”

https://thesunflower.com/27357/news/...-arts-college/
      Thank you for posting this. Perhaps it should become a "Stickey" just so we can read it when we stray from what seems to be a VERY clear path forward.

Comment

• Originally posted by pogo View Post

Thank you for posting this. Perhaps it should become a "Stickey" just so we can read it when we stray from what seems to be a VERY clear path forward.
        Cancel sports?

Getting (and staying) in a major athletic conference (for us) facilitates every academic goal we may wish to set.

Comment

• I really hope the additions are schools who’ve been good in BB at one point and have some semblance of a fan base like UAB or Charlotte or Marshall and not schools like UTSA or FAU.

Comment

• Once the departing members leave the AAC, the conference will have zero programs with national championships in men's basketball.

In the Big East, currently 4 of their 11 members have national championships in men's basketball. An additional 3 members have played in a national championship game.

The Big East is a better conference for basketball. The AAC of 2025 is not going to look like the AAC of 2018. The conference is changing. Many of the best basketball programs are leaving or have left.

Comment

Mark me down as someone who hopes the MWC and AAC simmers down to it's most quality elements, maybe picks up another MBB only, and the plan includes WSU as well. That'd be pretty close to the potential (read: not actual performance as of that spot in time) the AAC had when we joined.

The BE, generally, has zero commonality with WSU:
              • We do a good bit of research. Not inline with a B10 land grant school, but we do a ton compared to peer intuitions. BE on average do squat. Like LOL levels, which is hilarious considering their high-brow consideration of themselves.
              • WSU has a mid- to large-sized enrollment. BE on average are much smaller. What you might label "boutique" institutions.
              • Our academic rankings suck because we provide a path to a college education to many comers of all races and socioeconomic demos. BE schools on average are schools for wealthy white kids, with a few token, icky "others" thrown in for free and good measure so they can pat themselves on the back. Shocking I know, but that contributes very significantly towards their ranking metrics.

It is oil and water.
              Does any of that really matter? We need to be in the best conference for our basketball team.

We can do whatever we want with the school. Research, open admissions, whatever. If it weren't for sports there wouldn't even be conferences.

From what the Big East Commissioner said, they have realized that, and we should to. The conference is about one thing, and that is putting together a group of teams that is most attractive to the media networks thus bring the most money to the schools.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShockFan View Post
                Once the departing members leave the AAC, the conference will have zero programs with national championships in men's basketball.

In the Big East, currently 4 of their 11 members have national championships in men's basketball. An additional 3 members have played in a national championship game.

The Big East is a better conference for basketball. The AAC of 2025 is not going to look like the AAC of 2018. The conference is changing. Many of the best basketball programs are leaving or have left.
                Have you been away for the last 10 weeks?

Comment

• Hey WS65 please spare us the posts of Jeff Jackoff!

Comment

• Originally posted by Ashockalypse View Post
                    Hey WS65 please spare us the posts of Jeff Jackoff!
                    You got it. I threw up a little in my mouth when I pushed the post button. I hate that ****.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ashockalypse View Post

Have you been away for the last 10 weeks?
                      No, I've been very much "here" for the last 10 weeks. I just thought a refresher was in order.

Comment

• Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post

Cancel sports?

Getting (and staying) in a major athletic conference (for us) facilitates every academic goal we may wish to set.
                        Just because something has no mention of sports your first impulse (note I said impulse and not thought) is "Cancel sports?" Stick with the off topic subjects

Comment

Bardo said creating “an elite little liberal arts college” at WSU “ain’t gonna work.”

“Do we wish we were an elite little liberal arts college?” Bardo said to the crowd. “That’s not who we are.

“We’re educating people like you and me who have to go to work for a living.”

Bardo said Fairmount College — what WSU was formerly known as — was founded “to serve the working people of Wichita, not to serve the intellectual elite.”

He said technology was a key part in that.

“When we look at tomorrow, what we know is that technology is going to continue to underwrite everything that happens. And it’s going to continue to spread.”

He said that “big science” will drive the future.

“We also know that the vast majority of federal funds and almost all private money is in applied research and development,” Bardo said.

Bardo addressed criticism of the university’s heavy focus on business and engineering.

“There are people who don’t like businesses being on campus,” Bardo said. “Fairmount College survived because some businesses in Wichita underwrote it. Because the reality is, times were always hard in Wichita.”

https://thesunflower.com/27357/news/...-arts-college/
                          I have no problem with what you say. Bardo did have a vision for the direction WSU should take academically, athletically, and for the image of WSU to change. But really, how often do Presidents, and academicians talk (I really don't know but I doubt very much)? AD's and coaches probably talk often to build programs and schedules, but they don't talk often either.

Is Tulsa actually that similar to WSU academically? Big city, but small school with a law school. Tulane? There are a lot of differences in our own conference and in every conference. KSU now has an aerospace component academically (trying to impose themselves on WSU's specialty). Are they similar to us?

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

I have no problem with what you say. Bardo did have a vision for the direction WSU should take academically, athletically, and for the image of WSU to change. But really, how often do Presidents, and academicians talk (I really don't know but I doubt very much)? AD's and coaches probably talk often to build programs and schedules, but they don't talk often either.

Is Tulsa actually that similar to WSU academically? Big city, but small school with a law school. Tulane? There are a lot of differences in our own conference and in every conference. KSU now has an aerospace component academically (trying to impose themselves on WSU's specialty). Are they similar to us?
                            President Bardo's Presser may shed some light on this issue for you. AAU member Presidents meet formally once a quarter and I am aware that they speak with one another informally on a more frequent basis. I look forward to the day WSU becomes a Tier One research university.

Wichita State president John Bardo told a gathering on Friday that the University had accepted an invitation to join the American Athletic Conference.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShockFan View Post

No, I've been very much "here" for the last 10 weeks. I just thought a refresher was in order.
                              Alright

Comment

• Taylor tweeted we got our asses handed to us in the first 20 minute segment 52-28.

Mo and Jenkins not playing.

Apparently we "played everyone" and were run out of the gym.

Segment 2 we shortened the bench and won 33-31 (no mention if TT played their walkons in response to the 1st segment beating).

Comment

Working...
                                X