Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2021-22 Basketball happenings around the American Athletic!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post

All that said, they will bring added value to the league? Sorry, just don't see it.
    The Big East will not add them because of basketball success.

Comment

• Yeah if I were WSU I wouldn’t sign any new contract with anyone till the Big East decides what it’s going to do. We might just be in limbo till next year lol

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker1976 View Post

SLU is a small, highly regarded private, research oriented Jesuit University first off; historically they have had success in basketball. IMO they are a perfect fit for the Big East and I don't know why they were not invited to join prior to Creighton
        The reasons are that 1) the CU president at the time (Fr. Lannon) had the right connections within the Jesuit order, 2) having McBuckets at the time didn’t hurt, and 3) Creighton had the attendance factor going for it over SLU.

The three most likely candidates for BE expansion are SLU, VCU, and Gonzaga, in no particular order. Pie-in-the-sky candidate is Notre Dame. Dayton will never happen because Xavier won’t allow it. VCU could happen because Georgetown wants it. Gonzaga on the table for obvious reasons but logistics hinder them.

WSU checks some of the same boxes as VCU but I don’t see Creighton’s current president and AD advocating for the Shockers the way the previous administration might have. If an East/West add were made, SLU would be the more likely western choice because of institutional fit, and even if Creighton wanted WSU, Creighton doesn’t have the balance amount of power in the conference.

Last edited by JayPak; October 13, 2021, 04:44 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by JayPak View Post

The reasons are that 1) the CU president at the time (Fr. Lannon) had the right connections within the Jesuit order, 2) having McBuckets at the time didn’t hurt, and 3) Creighton had the attendance factor going for it over SLU.

The three most likely candidates for BE expansion are SLU, VCU, and Gonzaga, in no particular order. Pie-in-the-sky candidate is Notre Dame. Dayton will never happen because Xavier won’t allow it. VCU could happen because Georgetown wants it. Gonzaga on the table for obvious reasons but logistics hinder them.
          Thanks for the info on Fr Lannon - I was unaware of this relationship. I thought the metro size of St Louis (3x) versus Omaha and equivalent top #100 ranked university would carry significant weight in adding another school to the Big East.

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
            I doubt they expand. If they do, they'll take SLU.
            SLU has been pretty happy in the A-10.
            There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• While we desperately need to find a stable basketball conference, every time I look at the Big Pee's membership I get a little nauseous. There's like 3 teams max I would get a little excited to play, the rest are absolute mid-major dregs.

Seton Hall
              Providence
              DePaul
              St. Johns
              Butler
              Marquette
              Creighton

Just a whole lotta nobodies.

Villanova would be a good game though.

Xavier and UConn raises my pulse just above resting.

I really liked the AAC before all this junk happened. Cincy, Memphis, UConn, Houston, Wichita State made for a stronger conference core than Villanova and the rotating wannabees. :(

Comment

• Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post
                While we desperately need to find a stable basketball conference, every time I look at the Big Pee's membership I get a little nauseous. There's like 3 teams max I would get a little excited to play, the rest are absolute mid-major dregs.

Seton Hall
                Providence
                DePaul
                St. Johns
                Butler
                Marquette
                Creighton

I really liked the AAC before all this junk happened. Cincy, Memphis, UConn, Houston, Wichita State made for a stronger conference core than Villanova and the rotating wannabees. :(
                Cold... I have to say I'm one of the few on this board that agrees with a good amount of your posts. But what are you talking about? Marquette has a richer basketball history compared to WSU, and the rest are at the very least only a few steps behind us. Aside from DePaul and St. John's, all those programs you listed have history along with at least somewhat recent success too.
                Brummett throws, STRUCK HIM OUT! THE SHOCKERS ARE NATIONAL CHAMPIONS! AN UNBELIEVABLE STORY!

Comment

• Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post
                  While we desperately need to find a stable basketball conference, every time I look at the Big Pee's membership I get a little nauseous. There's like 3 teams max I would get a little excited to play, the rest are absolute mid-major dregs.

Seton Hall
                  Providence
                  DePaul
                  St. Johns
                  Butler
                  Marquette
                  Creighton

5 of the 7 programs you named are no strangers to the top 25. I gotta be honest with you man, the idea that the AAC has ever been a better basketball conference than the new BE is almost into the realm of absurdity.

Comment

• WSU is absolutely a contender if the BE expands. They’ve already broken the private school seal with UConn, and their official statement makes it clear any expansion would be a basketball decision. The only school they would take before us on a basketball product basis is Gonzaga. We’re the obvious next best (and travel partner for CU), followed by VCU, Dayton, SLU. Any two of those four would be a steal, and I can’t be convinced WSU wouldn’t take the invite.

Maybe I’m being too optimistic, but WSU and VCU/Dayton seems like a no-brainer for all parties.

Comment

• Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post

Why SLU?
                      Like minded institution. High level academics. Some basketball successes. Bridges the gap between Omaha and Chicago. Private school. Large market.

Why not SLU?
                      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by MoValley John View Post

SLU has been pretty happy in the A-10.
                        I'm sure they'd be even happier in the Big East. SLU is all about NE exposure as I believe that's where they get much of their student population, or at least an area they target hard. The BE doesn't really add to their travel budget as it's a similar makeup to the A10, but it's higher profile in basketball and academics and the money is better. They'd accept without a second thought.
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Originally posted by Fake Gregg Marshall View Post
                          WSU is absolutely a contender if the BE expands. They’ve already broken the private school seal with UConn, and their official statement makes it clear any expansion would be a basketball decision. The only school they would take before us on a basketball product basis is Gonzaga. We’re the obvious next best (and travel partner for CU), followed by VCU, Dayton, SLU. Any two of those four would be a steal, and I can’t be convinced WSU wouldn’t take the invite.

Maybe I’m being too optimistic, but WSU and VCU/Dayton seems like a no-brainer for all parties.
                          I'd suspect they would only add one as they currently sit at 11. And UCon was a special circumstance as they have a lot of history with most of the conference.
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Originally posted by TrackSuitAndTie View Post

They do have a Final Four to their credit but I agree this add would be based on potential only. Their current basketball coach, Ron Sanchez, is a former Tony Bennett assistant and seems to have the program trending upward.
                            FWIW, I spoke to someone recently with intimate knowledge of the Charlotte athletics department. The source said he wouldn't be shocked if Charlotte was added because the AD there, who I believe is in his third year, is extremely impressive and has the program poised for big things.

Mike Hill became the seventh director of athletics in Charlotte 49ers’ history, Feb. 28, 2018 and has brought a Gold Standard of excellence to the program.         Professionally,
                            “The rebellion on the populist right against the results of the 2020 election was partly a cynical, knowing effort by political operators and their hype men in the media to steal an election or at least get rich trying. But it was also the tragic consequence of the informational malnourishment so badly afflicting the nation. ... Americans gorge themselves daily on empty informational calories, indulging their sugar fixes of self-affirming half-truths and even outright lies.'

― Chris Stirewalt

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

Like minded institution. High level academics. Some basketball successes. Bridges the gap between Omaha and Chicago. Private school. Large market.

Why not SLU?
                              I don't know much at all about SLU so it was an honost question. Money seems to be the driver of the expansion bus, so with academics aside, seems to me their are much more relevant national brands that would be asked to join before SLU.

Comment

• LOL. My guess is the he might be on a Greyhound Bus next year when they finish behind the Shock AGAIN.

Comment

Working...
                                X