Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2021-22 Basketball happenings around the American Athletic!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

I'm of the opinion that CSU and AFA would not have really moved the needle that much for the AAC. So having those two decline may not be all that big of a deal.

At this point I think UAB, UTSA, Datyon/Army would be as good or better than CSU and AFA. Let ESPN target the best options to fill out a foursome.
    I'm trying to figure out why Dayton would be that interested in going to a conference who's membership is pretty volatile, not a basketball first conference and trying to add football first type schools. Since 2010, only 5 of the 8 "remaining" AAC schools have been to the Dance from 2010 to the present. Not counting Dayton, 11 of 13 Atl-10 schools have been to the NCAA tournament with 7 programs 2 or more times. Also, they know that Memphis will bolt if given the chance, no matter who is added.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShockFan View Post
      Are there any basketball programs with Final Four appearances that the AAC is rumored to be interested in adding? Any that would be interested in joining?

If Memphis leaves, that would leave only Temple, SMU, and WSU with Final Fours.

In the MVC, they have Loyola, Indiana State, Drake, and Bradley with Final Fours.

I care about basketball first and foremost. I wonder how this football-driven realignment is going to affect the NCAA tournament and college basketball.

WSU could remain in the American and be THE elite basketball program in the conference. Sort of like Gonzaga in the WCC. I just don't know if the AAC is the right conference to do that in. The WCC is a much more basketball-focused conference than the AAC. Several of the schools in the WCC don't even have a football team.
      Many in the WCC barely have a basketball team.
      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

I'm trying to figure out why Dayton would be that interested in going to a conference who's membership is pretty volatile, not a basketball first conference and trying to add football first type schools. Since 2010, only 5 of the 8 "remaining" AAC schools have been to the Dance from 2010 to the present. Not counting Dayton, 11 of 13 Atl-10 schools have been to the NCAA tournament with 7 programs 2 or more times. Also, they know that Memphis will bolt if given the chance, no matter who is added.
        If they joined it would be for the money. The A10 media deal is barely better than the MVC if I remember correctly. Now, we don't know what is going to happen to our media deal once the three leave, but all reports have been that even the worst case scenario would be higher than the MWC and our share would be over 1.25M. Which would be about $750k more for Dayton. Maybe that's not enough. But the value may also not drop that low. A lot will depend on ESPN.

As for the MWC, that really should be considered unless things completely go to hell. I am also skeptical of Memphis getting an invite. But outside of that, Wichita needs Texas. I also don't see SMU or Tulsa moving west as things currently sit. Why would they pay 10M in exit fees to go make less money and increase travel while doing so?

Let's wait and see what happens. I still expect at least one Texas school to be added along with UAB. The question now is, will the AAC stop at 2 adds, and wait to see what happens and then see if they can make a play for the west after the B12 does whatever they're going to do in a couple of years? Or do they still go ahead and move to 12 now and then see if a westward play is in the cards in a few years?
        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• What happened to Shockernet All Day?

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post
            What happened to Shockernet All Day?

Is shockernet.net down and not working right now? Submit a report and join the discussion. (notopening.com)
            "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Probably not connected; many would say this is good news...

Confused Nation Keeps Refreshing As Facebook, Instagram Disappear: Updates (msn.com)

Comment

• Here is an old article from MARCH 25, 2015, but it is still relevant to Wichita State and its chances to change and move up to the Big East now:

"Think like a university president, not like a sports fan.” Wichita State is a perfect example of the disconnect between the thought processes of sports fans and university presidents. Sports fans see Wichita State as a school with great fans and astounding on-the-court success with a recent Final Four appearance and a memorable takedown of Kansas to get to the Sweet Sixteen this year. However, university presidents see Wichita State as a non-flagship public school that’s ranked in the 200s in the U.S. News rankings that are located in a small TV market with little recruiting value (whether for athletes or “regular” college students). Remember that university presidents care just as much about what a school brings to the table when it’s awful on the field/court compared to how well it’s performing at its peak. Wichita State is a classic case of looking great for fans when they’re playing well, but it’s extremely tough for university presidents to see their value when they’re not playing well (as they’re not bringing academic prestige, and institutional fit, a major TV market, etc.)."

If WSU is to move up to the Big East, it has to improve its academic ranking and at least double in size. It also must start developing great basketball players in high school more often.

The only thing about WSU that is major college level is its fans.

Its athletic department and business support are mid-major at best, IMO.

Comment

• Originally posted by calfan View Post
                  Here is an old article from MARCH 25, 2015, but it is still relevant to Wichita State and its chances to change and move up to the Big East now:

"Think like a university president, not like a sports fan.” Wichita State is a perfect example of the disconnect between the thought processes of sports fans and university presidents. Sports fans see Wichita State as a school with great fans and astounding on-the-court success with a recent Final Four appearance and a memorable takedown of Kansas to get to the Sweet Sixteen this year. However, university presidents see Wichita State as a non-flagship public school that’s ranked in the 200s in the U.S. News rankings that are located in a small TV market with little recruiting value (whether for athletes or “regular” college students). Remember that university presidents care just as much about what a school brings to the table when it’s awful on the field/court compared to how well it’s performing at its peak. Wichita State is a classic case of looking great for fans when they’re playing well, but it’s extremely tough for university presidents to see their value when they’re not playing well (as they’re not bringing academic prestige, and institutional fit, a major TV market, etc.)."

https://frankthetank.org/tag/wichita...mountain-west/

If WSU is to move up to the Big East, it has to improve its academic ranking and at least double in size. It also must start developing great basketball players in high school more often.

It’s difficult to climb the mountain, but progress is being made; there’s nothing “mid-major” about NIAR.

Focus on second slide…

https://www.kansasregents.org/resour...-KART_Info.pdf

Comment

Here is an old article from MARCH 25, 2015, but it is still relevant to Wichita State and its chances to change and move up to the Big East now:

The article you rely upon to support your stupid opinion was written in 2015 when WSU was trying to leave the MVC. So the fact that the shockers were invited to the AAC shows that the guy who wrote that article did not know what the fuk he was talking about. He thought the Shocks would never be out of the MVC. He was wrong just like you. In any event, we don't know how the next realignment is going to turn out. There are way more variables involved than the ones you rely upon to form your weak opinion. In addition, I am not sure if the Shocks should even leave the AAC but I am willing to wait and see what happens.

But we do know that people like you and the clown that wrote that article don't know anything about WSU and will continue to underestimate Wichita State. Go Shocks.

Comment

• Yeah, this was a bad one ... see here for details: https://shockernet.net/forum/welcome...21#post1311368
                      Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                        I still expect at least one Texas school to be added along with UAB. The question now is, will the AAC stop at 2 adds, and wait to see what happens and then see if they can make a play for the west after the B12 does whatever they're going to do in a couple of years? Or do they still go ahead and move to 12 now and then see if a westward play is in the cards in a few years?
                        I'm sure Aresco is consulting with ESPN on what his next moves should be.

If the AAC/ESPN want to hang with the urban university model than I'm thinking UAB, UNC-Charlotte, UTSA and Army/Dayton fill that model pretty well. Now whether there is any mutual interest is another question. I imagine UAB and UTSA would definitely be interested. UTSA could also be a possible target of the MWC if they decide to expand.

Comment

• Damn…. Really wish John Bardo was still with us for so many reasons including conference affiliation.

Comment

What a monumentally stupid effing post.

If WSU doubled in size the only school in the BE that would be larger would be UCONN, and even then only by a few hundred students. WSU's enrollment is larger than 7 out of 11 current BE members. The median enrollment in the BE is not even 11K.

WSU's endowment is larger than one third of BE schools, which is something considering private schools rely on endowment returns just to keep the doors open.

When it comes to research, I don't have time to drill down to the weeds right now, but IIRC there are MAYBE 2-3 schools in the BE doing more in research dollars than WSU. The difference in research income between WSU and the BE average or median is HUGE.

So yeah... WSU opens doors for a sh!t ton of first time college students, many of which are from working class and lower class families. In doing so our metrics aren't great. You'd think the progressive nincompoops that are infatuated with such things could understand this correlation between academic ranking and student demographics with their so-called compassion and equity, but I guess it goes over their head.
                            Last edited by SHOCKvalue; October 4, 2021, 06:11 PM.

Comment

• Good read on how conference TV valuations work.

https://twitter.com/MattBrownEP/stat...niIhW6miA&s=19

Comment

• Originally posted by Topshock View Post

Actually Rocky Mountain had good information and had it before the media. I have no doubt he has a source and I look forward to what exactly happened at the last minute.
                                I get my information from a connected CSU alum at work. I trust him, but I totally understand why others may not trust an anonymous guy posting on a fan message board.

At any rate, I chatted with him this morning. Nothing real surprising. It sounds like what the Air Force AD said in the radio interview (as posted earlier in this thread) was mostly true, in that adding the four of them was key to keeping the AAC TV deal at or very close to its current number. If SDSU and Boise had made the decision to bolt, it would have been a no brainer for CSU and AFA to come along because there would have been clear separation between the MWC and AAC. The administrations of CSU and AFA were still willing to go to the AAC on their own even if the AAC TV deal ended up being in the range of the MWC's current deal, which ESPN indicated would be the case. They didn't end up staying because CBS threw a bunch of money at them, as some have speculated. They just had a hard time getting the schools' donors and power structures to agree that the move was in their best interests without more MWC schools (ESPN was only interested in SDSU and Boise, by the way). Some AFA donors pushed back (there was some press about that), but CSU apparently had some issues with it as well but not to the same extent. The announcement that SDSU and Boise were staying only added to the doubt in the minds of some, and the timing of the announcement itself might have been an effort by the MWC itself to influence the outcome. If you sense that CSU and AFA are not thrilled about staying in the MWC, you are correct. But as the landscape is currently, they can't convince benefactors that the AAC is worth losing what they have in the MWC.
                                "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

Working...
                                X