Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2021-22 Basketball happenings around the American Athletic!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post

This.

What is proving out is that WSU is on an island: middle of the country and with no football, but better basketball and Oly sports than other geographically sensible alternatives. We're at the mercy of everyone else, and if Memphis and SMU bolt, will have to take the best available offer, if an offer ever presents itself. The only value WSU brings to a conference is potential NCAA tournament credits. Our market, without football, isn't enough to move the needle for any conference other than the A10.

It sucks, but with recent developments, we may have to become beggars. Right now, even a Memphis and SMU departure wouldn't leave us in a worse situation than being in the MVC, but it's not far from it.
    I think even the "bad" additions being thrown around would still make the AAC solidly better than the MVC, mainly because those schools have shown a willinginess to invest even if the results aren't there yet. Now if Aresco can hit the home run with a western wing? It's really not going to be too much of a step down from where we were at in the AAC.

Comment

• Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post
      I guess the answer is no. LoL

https://twitter.com/MattNorlander/st...389149696?s=19
      Not sure how that would make much sense with them having football. Not a real shocker.
      Deuces Valley.
      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

Not sure how that would make much sense with them having football. Not a real shocker.
        I have a feeling that comment had more to do with academics than football. See UConn, although admittedly, I don't know much about UConn's academics.

Comment

• we should add Gonzaga/Army, Airforce & Col State

Comment

• Memphis also does has the best reputation as an institution.

Probably an integrity issue as well for the BE.
            The Assman

Comment

• I know the BE is a pipe dream as things stand today, but all things considered, even if UH, Cinci, and UCF didn’t leave I’d still have taken an invite to join the BE.

A basketball conference, for basketball schools, that love basketball. What more could you want?
              The Assman

Comment

• Originally posted by Shock Top View Post
                I know the BE is a pipe dream as things stand today, but all things considered, even if UH, Cinci, and UCF didn’t leave I’d still have taken an invite to join the BE.

A basketball conference, for basketball schools, that love basketball. What more could you want?
                I'd still take the AAC. Basketball was just as good, locations are better and gives us more exposure in areas we recruit both players and students. Also better TV exposure. I don't know what the BE would pay per school, but I'll take ESPN over FS1.
                Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

I'd still take the AAC. Basketball was just as good, locations are better and gives us more exposure in areas we recruit both players and students. Also better TV exposure. I don't know what the BE would pay per school, but I'll take ESPN over FS1.
                  All fair points. I can agree with most parts of all of them.

I don’t dislike the AAC. It has been a great move for WSU. If it could have stayed together, it would have been great.

There is just something about the BE that feels right. Maybe it’s because they buck the football trend. Maybe it’s the rich basketball tradition. Maybe it’s playing the conference tournament in MSG. Maybe it’s all of that.
                  The Assman

Comment

• If Memphis leaves then the AAC is a complete rebuild. Unless Uncle Chuck does something completely unexpected then football is a pipedream just like joining BE. We can't keep getting caught up in football conference realignment with no say in the matter. Therefore the best course of action is to look for the best bb only conference that would show mutual interest. Right now that is A10. Absent Memphis the A10 is a better, more stable basketball conference.

Comment

• People keep saying P5, but every time I count I can only come up with 4.
                      Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Still funny to me…

The B12 asked these AAC schools to apply and present their case a few years back, only for the B12 to tell them: “Ha, no thanks! We like our money too much and none of you are good enough to increase that. Pound sand.”

Cut to present day, the B12 loses their two best schools and go to the AAC and say “Hey, remember us? No hard feelings about last time right? I know we said we wanted you last time, but this time we are serious! Yes, I know we’ve lost our two best programs since then and that’s the only reason we are reaching out to you now, but that’s no big deal is it? What do you say, are you in?”

Rather than the AAC schools saying to themselves “You know what, since that ordeal last time our school and conference has grown tremendously. Come to think of it, without UT and OU, the B12 isn’t much different from the AAC. Why would we make a lateral move to a conference that schools keep leaving over the past decade?” They say “Yep! Sounds good!”

Like the nerd that had a crush on the cheerleader in high school. Even though he’s gone on to become successful for himself and her beauty has continue to fade since HS; he still wants her.
                        The Assman

Comment

• Shock Top, I thought the same thing. I thought the American Conference schools would tell the Bog 12 no.

They surprised me!

Comment

• ESPN didn't pony up enough. Can't say no to double or tripling your income.

On the flip side .. this is exactly why MWC teams will consider the AAC.
                            Last edited by Stickboy46; September 10, 2021, 01:11 PM.

Comment

• Our remaining schools are unwavering in their commitment to competing and succeeding at the highest level, and we will not allow external factors to put a ceiling on our potential," Aresco said Friday in a statement. "We remain unified and resolute and will consider all of our options as we move the American into our second decade and beyond."
                              Nice statement, I guess.

The problem is that it's fantastical.

Despite Aresco's claims, there is literally no way for the AAC to avoid external factors putting a ceiling on its potential considering external factors just robbed the AAC of three of its best programs (and could ultimately take more). External factors are the AAC's worst nightmare. And the idea that the remaining AAC members are "unified" is, with all due respect to Aresco, just laughable. Trust me, if Memphis could bounce to the Big 12 tomorrow, it would. And if Memphis can move next year or any year after that, it will.

Comment

• Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post

https://twitter.com/GaryParrishCBS/s...538704386?s=19
                                I’m sure Gary is texting the Big 12 right now:

”plz take Memphis, we got 0.01 and F$d$x”

Comment

Working...
                                X