State of the Program 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
    We NEED Dexter to come in and start strong. The last 2 years he’s taken a half year to get going.
    Yes, but it needs to be understood that if he doesn't, his minutes are there for someone else to take. I'm thinking that there are a couple of guys capable of doing so.... If they can match his defense. That's where Dex usually keeps his minutes.
    "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerPrez View Post

Yes, but it needs to be understood that if he doesn't, his minutes are there for someone else to take. I'm thinking that there are a couple of guys capable of doing so.... If they can match his defense. That's where Dex usually keeps his minutes.
      Yes, Dex plays defense and plays every minute with effort. It will be hard to take very many minutes from him even if he struggles shooting.

Let’s all hope that Dex plays well.
      Livin the dream

Comment

• Having 15 minutes per game where we can run Tyson at the point, Dex at the 2, and Ricky at the wing together would be really huge for the team! I have confidence in the 5 forwards to hold the middle. Not sure if RC3 or DD have enough handles to make that work.
        Livin the dream

Comment

• Not to get too far ahead...but with what we have coming back and the additions (on paper) we may have the best assembled talent we've had in the modern era. Coach Brown has done really freakin' well!!! GO SHOCKS!!!
          FINAL FOURS:
          1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
          1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
          Number of Times Ranked: 157
          Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
          Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
          Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
          #3 - Dec. 2017
          #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
          #2 ~ March 2014
          Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• Originally posted by AZ Shocker View Post
            Not to get too far ahead...but with what we have coming back and the additions (on paper) we may have the best assembled talent we've had in the modern era. Coach Brown has done really freakin' well!!! GO SHOCKS!!!
            I hope so, but yeah, cart and horse and such.
            Livin the dream

Comment

• 7 months ago, it appeared the program was headed for a complete train wreck. After losing a large chunk of the team over the summer, we lost our head coach a week before the season. The entire public atmosphere and perception of the program was extremely negative. In half a year, the coaches and players have managed to completely flip that 180. AAC championship, tourney appearance and now what appears to be one of our strongest recruiting classes in a while (not to mention it appears to be very calculated to fill the right gaps). It's a testament to everyone involved in the program. We could have been looking at a very long rebuild but instead we didn't skip a beat. Truly impressive

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
                7 months ago, it appeared the program was headed for a complete train wreck. After losing a large chunk of the team over the summer, we lost our head coach a week before the season. The entire public atmosphere and perception of the program was extremely negative. In half a year, the coaches and players have managed to completely flip that 180. AAC championship, tourney appearance and now what appears to be one of our strongest recruiting classes in a while (not to mention it appears to be very calculated to fill the right gaps). It's a testament to everyone involved in the program. We could have been looking at a very long rebuild but instead we didn't skip a beat. Truly impressive
                It’s my belief that “the entire public atmosphere and perception of the program was extremely negative” is incorrect. There are many of us who saw a tremendous opportunity being presented, and have seen our program grow during that time. There will always be the group who only see the trees, but never realize there’s a forest to be explored.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShauXTyme View Post

It’s my belief that “the entire public atmosphere and perception of the program was extremely negative” is incorrect. There are many of us who saw a tremendous opportunity being presented, and have seen our program grow during that time. There will always be the group who only see the trees, but never realize there’s a forest to be explored.
                  Very good assessment.... probably the biggest percent of naysayers were in this board... I don’t recall people in the public being down on this at all...

Comment

• Originally posted by ShauXTyme View Post

Perhaps extremely negative is inaccurate but for those older fans like myself that remembered the GS years and his firing and the resulting years of mediocrity when most everyone felt that something like that could not happen, did happen I for one was left thinking "Uh oh". The chain of events leading up to last season could have been more than enough to leave the program in disarray but the "New kids" and the "old guys" along with the coaching staff didn't let that happen. What happens from here on out will still require hard work and hard coaching to keep our program where we want it as far as national relevance. Ad Astra per Aspra. Go Shocks

Comment

• A lot of the history of the past year has been left off or re-written by the above posts, but I think it's better to think about the future and not the past, and right now, the future looks good. A major question that hasn't been answered yet, is will the people come back, and fill up the arena after the year of Covid.

Questions: Have those of you who are season ticket holders received your information on purchasing tickets? Are they going to allow 100% of the seats to be sold? And if they are allowing that many seats sold, are tickets selling or at what rate are tickets selling?

I know quite a few past season ticket holders who cancelled during our Covid year. The investment of re-purchasing season tickets, is enough of a cost prohibitive nature (if they want their past seats/they would have to sit at the top again), so are new season ticket holders buying?
                      Last edited by Shockm; June 4, 2021, 08:46 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post
                        A lot of the history of the past year has been left off or re-written by the above posts, but I think it's better to think about the future and not the past, and right now, the future looks good. A major question that hasn't been answered yet, is will the people come back, and fill up the arena after the year of Covid.

Questions: Have those of you who are season ticket holders received your information on purchasing tickets? Are they going to allow 100% of the seats to be sold? And if they are allowing that many seats sold, are tickets selling or at what rate are tickets selling?

I know quite a few past season ticket holders who cancelled during our Covid year. The investment of re-purchasing season tickets, is enough of a cost prohibitive nature (if they want their past seats/they would have to sit at the top again), so are new season ticket holders buying?
                        Ticket renewals have been sent out and paid for if you are renewing. I still had my same seats, so I'm guessing that it's 100% being sold.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Ticket renewals have been sent out and paid for if you are renewing. I still had my same seats, so I'm guessing that it's 100% being sold.
                          Great news

Has anyone heard if it is selling at the rate of the past with a waiting list of people wanting to buy, and a sell out 100% guaranteed, or at a lower rate with 3/4 sold, etc.? Either way, not a worry, because people will buy individual seats, but in the past, there have been no individual seats to buy at the arena.

Comment

A lot of the history of the past year has been left off or re-written by the above posts, but I think it's better to think about the future and not the past, and right now, the future looks good. A major question that hasn't been answered yet, is will the people come back, and fill up the arena after the year of Covid.

Maybe I'm not understanding your questions correctly, but here goes.

1) Those who were already season ticketholders had several options due to COVID: a) Postpone any purchase/donation until the following season (this year) and not lose any priority. b) If you already had paid, that too could be push forward or returned, either or both the SASO and tickets with no loss of priority. c) Apply the SASO amount only as a donation for that year. Probably a few other twists and turns, but that is basically it.

2) They have already applied/requested SASO/ticket payments for this year.

3) Have no idea if the fHCGM thing has had any effect, plus or minus.

4) I'm pretty certain that the athletic department is hurting for funds. I know of reductions, maybe some are just layoffs, in department employee numbers. This is in both department operations and within sports.

Comment

I renewed my tickets several weeks ago. We went to a limited number of games this past season. We had different seats but we got our old seats when we renewed. I gave a extra donation to help out the athletic department. I encourage those that can to do the same. They need our cash to provide a top notch program.

Comment

• I donated my SASO donation and rolled over my tickets. I also opt for the 110% on my SASO donation as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X