2021 TBT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
    So happy for Conner. The joy on his face after hitting that shot was incredible. Not just excitement; it was pure, unadulterated joy.

We have something so special here. No place in the country can replicate this. I hope every former, current, and future player and coach recognize that. A summer tournament, a game the same night as the NBA Finals, and 6.5K show up? Unreal. What an atmosphere.

I also hope every player under Marshall will give him his due for what he has built. That won’t happen, but it should. IB is in charge now, but Marshall built this monster into one that not only was successful, but also reflects the values and identity of this community. The program and a tournament like this likely won’t look the same in five years, and maybe in some ways, that will be a good thing. But without Marshall, none of this happens. None of it.
    GGG was smart enough to know what he had here in Wichita. The foundation was in place. He said the same, and he was right.

On that same note, when the Shocks win the tournament I'd love to see them say "this is for you GGG!"

Comment

• You can find a replay of the game at https://www.espn.com/watch/schedule/...tDate/20210720 - scroll down the page or filter by Basketball to find it. You'll have to login using your tv provider login. I haven't watched it, but I imagine they'll show the following from the broadcast last night:

- Early scuffle. I don't remember if it was a timeout or the end of the 1st period, but players were going to the benches and before cutting to commercial the ESPN broadcasters something happened and they would talk about it after the break. When they came back from commercial they showed it. The Challenge ALS player was walking past the WSU bench on his way back to the other bench and was talking the whole time. He then turned around back toward the WSU bench as if someone said something to him and Zach Bush and him got into each other's faces and had to be separated. If someone can read lips they can probably get an idea of what was being said.

- Frankamp's charge. On the broadcast ESPN replayed it and showed it with a closer camera angle. Will probably give you a better idea of what all happened vs the highlight video. Seemed like the bounce pass got mishandled a little and probably threw Frankamp's approach off a little. Looked like he was trying to go around the right side of the defender but didn't make it.
      Not responsible for damage from posts that sail over the reader's head.

Comment

• Do the players get any per diem, or is it all "volunteer"?

Comment

• Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post
          I saw Dex, Monzy, Mo and Ricky for all three games but not any if the other guys too much. Kinda figured the whole team would be there together. Especially the older guys showing the new guys what a real fan base looks like. Building team chemistry. Where's TE?
          Here's a good picture from - https://twitter.com/ShockerAlumni/st...84439656767494 - a mix of AfterShocks, staff, and current team

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

Then why weren't more fouls called when there were obvious fouls earlier? Did the referees decide the outcome in those cases?

The last game, the lack of an OBVIOUS charging call on the other team almost decided the game. This call was NOT obvious, and many on this board don't agree even after seeing the replay many times. That's when referees need to not enter the picture.
            Yes, a lot of stuff was let go. I can't recall a block/charge going to the basket that wasn't called. Why not call this one? And this call was absolutely obvious.
            Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker
            Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
            ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
            Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
            Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• TP throwing a little love Frankamp's way. Feels odd.

Comment

• Misc stuff -

- Not sure about the first game, but Stutz has been drawing up a lot of plays during timeouts the last couple games. I don't know if he has any aspiration to coach like his brother Logan, but if so, he'd make a nice addition to a coaching staff. He could teach the big men some tricks of the trade, plus he may be able to help recruit some big men who may want to play for a team with a 7 footer who has played at a pro level.

- the next opponent, Florida TNT, had 3 guys who played for UCF and one who played for USF. From the team bio though - https://thetournament.com/teams/florida-tnt/ - it looks like they all played prior to WSU entering the AAC. According to the team bio, Houston Cougars man bun guy Rob Gray was supposed to be on the team, but it doesn't appear he's on the roster.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post

On that same note, when the Shocks win the tournament I'd love to see them say "this is for you GGG!"
                  Has any of them even mentioned his name thus far?

Comment

• Come on Shocker Nation. Time to step up!

Comment

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

I really like the Elam ending and I think it’s the better way to finish a game, all things being equal.

I’m also kind of a traditionalist and enjoy some variety so I’m not 100% convinced I would change NBA and NCAA.

I understand you’re a Twitter account and the point of Twitter, especially fake accounts, is to be as extreme and hyperbolic as possible. But from 1977-2019 there were only 32 buzzer beaters in the NCAA tournament.

A game is far more likely to grind to a halt and end in an over long free throw and foul fest than feature an exciting buzzer beater.
                      Exactly. Buzzer beaters are shown again and again which makes fans incorrectly assume they happen every weekend. In reality buzzer beaters rarely happen - as a result fans have to watch 10 to 15 minutes of distorted basketball in every game to rarely be rewarded.

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                        I've never understood the argument of let the players decide the game. If they foul, they foul. And that's deciding the outcome of the game. If you don't call a foul a foul just because it's at the end of the game, the ref has taken it out of the players hands.
                        In listening to referees that are considered top class from multiple sports.. they often view the rule books as guidelines that are not “black and white.” Their job is to manage the game so that both sides feel they had a fair shot, the game has a natural flow, and chaos is limited. In summary, the best refs do not call everything that occurs in a game.

In my opinion- top class refs don’t call that a foul. CF was not out of control, the contact was bang - bang, and the level of difficulty for that finish was pretty damn high (so the defender accomplished his goal). The ultimate way to tell is to watch the reaction of the ALS teammates- they all thought they lost the game because none of them were looking for a charge to be called.

Comment

• Originally posted by proshox View Post

In listening to referees that are considered top class from multiple sports.. they often view the rule books as guidelines that are not “black and white.” Their job is to manage the game so that both sides feel they had a fair shot, the game has a natural flow, and chaos is limited. In summary, the best refs do not call everything that occurs in a game.

In my opinion- top class refs don’t call that a foul. CF was not out of control, the contact was bang - bang, and the level of difficulty for that finish was pretty damn high (so the defender accomplished his goal). The ultimate way to tell is to watch the reaction of the ALS teammates- they all thought they lost the game because none of them were looking for a charge to be called.
                          Pro,
                          While it is true we do let bigger, stronger players 'play through' some contact, that was a foul on CF last night.
                          Let me explain...
                          If nothing would have been called on the last play, I can GUARANTEE the losing coach would 'clip' the play and send into the league supervisor requesting an explanation. The supervisor in turn would review and then make a call to the official asking what he saw and why nothing was called.
                          I can assure you if the official provided the same bullshit reasoning you proposed, he would either lose a couple of assigned games or get fired all together.
                          That's the real world of officiating and how things go after the final score.

That is all.
                          Above all, make the right call.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ted Lasso's Neighbor View Post

Here's a good picture from - https://twitter.com/ShockerAlumni/st...84439656767494 - a mix of AfterShocks, staff, and current team

Is that Ehimen in the bucket hat in the back? I kept wondering throughout the game who that was behind the bench.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                              Is there anything better than the pure joy in Dexter Dennis' face after the game? He was loving life.....awesome.
                              I enjoyed seeing how into it Ricky was.

He’s still effectively a neophyte in the Shocker program and doesn’t know a lot of the alumnus or has experience what it’s truly like to play for the program in and/or in CKA.

Yet, he was on the court celebrating and hugging like he’s been here for the better part of a decade.

I’m sure IB is no dumb dumb and has already done this, but this has to be a damn good recruiting pitch to potential future players.
                              The Assman

Comment

• In this case, a bang bang play, the easy answer is that the player from ALS was outside of the circle.

Comment

Working...
                                X