Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two impactful AAC News items

Comment

• Boy, Mick Cronin looks pretty good right about now.
      People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• A full roster...
        The Assman

Comment

• Off to an early start...

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Deandre Williams returning to Memphis. Little surprising considering his age. Memphis should be a tourney team if Penny figures out how to not tank the non-con again. They seem to have more continuity this year than in previous years.

Comment

• Based on the three guys we’ve brought in so far I think we should be right back in the thick of the conference race and NCAA tournament conversation.

Grant and Pleasant are, at least on paper, better shooters than the guys they replace. That was a big weakness last year.

All three are as good or better rebounders than the guys they replaced. Again another weakness that should improve.

McFarlane appears to be a long, athletic, mobile shot blocker which is something we desperately needed behind Mo last year.

Great work by the staff so far. I think Gudino was the lead on all three. Only thing left is snagging a third center. Shocker Madness and the exhibition games should be must see games this year. Can’t wait to get back to Koch arena to see how this team performs on the court!

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
                Deandre Williams returning to Memphis. Little surprising considering his age. Memphis should be a tourney team if Penny figures out how to not tank the non-con again. They seem to have more continuity this year than in previous years.
                I agree. That's the key. They can't wait until Jan/Feb to start playing well. Or they will continue to fail to meet expectations
                "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

• Originally posted by shockerfan View Post

I agree. That's the key. They can't wait until Jan/Feb to start playing well. Or they will continue to fail to meet expectations
                  I guess I’ll be the guy who continues to stick up for Memphis for whatever reason but I think it’s important to remember that this is only Anfernee Hardaway’s fourth year.

Year 1 - NIT bid with mostly Tubbys guys
                  Year 2 - Wiseman declared ineligible after like two games, COVID. I don’t remember if they were on the bubble or not.
                  Year 3 - COVID, NIT championship

Yes, this is the year they need to be around the top 25, winning big non con games and solidly in the tournament at the end of the year. I fully expect that based on what they are returning (Williams, Lomax, Nolly, Cisse, etc) and what I assume is another loaded recruiting class.

I don’t like Memphis and I’m tired of seeing the Shockers lose to them. The league needs Memphis to be good.

Comment

• I feel like every year there is an excuse for Penny's under performance.

Comment

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

I guess I’ll be the guy who continues to stick up for Memphis for whatever reason but I think it’s important to remember that this is only Anfernee Hardaway’s fourth year.

Year 2 - Wiseman declared ineligible after like two games, COVID. I don’t remember if they were on the bubble or not.

Yes, this is the year they need to be around the top 25, winning big non con games and solidly in the tournament at the end of the year. I fully expect that based on what they are returning (Williams, Lomax, Nolly, Cisse, etc) and what I assume is another loaded recruiting class.

I don’t like Memphis and I’m tired of seeing the Shockers lose to them. The league needs Memphis to be good.
                      Then maybe he shouldn't be talking about winning national championships if he can't even make the tourney without a completely perfect year. (and no they weren't on the bubble in 2020 either).

I want Memphis to be good for the good of the conference. The problem is they aren't, yet everyone associated with the Memphis program acts like they have done something by getting talent. No, getting talent means jack if you lose with that talent. The love fest between Houston and Memphis at the end of last year was enough to make you gag. All the talk that Memphis should have been in over WSU because they "almost beat" Houston was stupid. STOP LOSING TO TULSA and it wont be an issue.

Here are the teams in the AAC that haven't made the tourney since 2015: ECU, Tulane USF ..... and Memphis. Literally one of 4 teams that isn't contributing a single NCAA credit to the conference ... Yet they talk like they are a perennial national power.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Then maybe he shouldn't be talking about winning national championships if he can't even make the tourney without a completely perfect year. (and no they weren't on the bubble in 2020 either).

I want Memphis to be good for the good of the conference. The problem is they aren't, yet everyone associated with the Memphis program acts like they have done something by getting talent. No, getting talent means jack if you lose with that talent. The love fest between Houston and Memphis at the end of last year was enough to make you gag. All the talk that Memphis should have been in over WSU because they "almost beat" Houston was stupid. STOP LOSING TO TULSA and it wont be an issue.

Here are the teams in the AAC that haven't made the tourney since 2015: ECU, Tulane USF ..... and Memphis. Literally one of 4 teams that isn't contributing a single NCAA credit to the conference ... Yet they talk like they are a perennial national power.
                        Frankly, I don’t give a crap what “everyone associated with the Memphis program” acts like. That’s all a bunch of noise. I don’t spend my time looking at their fan boards or reading their Twitter comments. It’s just not something I’m interested in.

As far as what Penny says, would it be better if he said “well, you know, we got this highly rated recruiting class and I think that will give us a good chance to compete for third in the league.” Come on. Of course he’s going to set the expectations high. That’s not a bad thing.

It takes time to build a program. It took Marshall five years to get WSU back to the tourney, we all know what happened after that.

If you look at the trajectory Memphis is on it’s very similar. Doesn’t mean they’re going to have the same success we did but they’re on the right track.

Hate on them all you want but it looks ridiculous to act like Hardaway is some lost clown considering we’re 1-4 against him.

Comment

Frankly, I don’t give a crap what “everyone associated with the Memphis program” acts like. That’s all a bunch of noise. I don’t spend my time looking at their fan boards or reading their Twitter comments. It’s just not something I’m interested in.

As far as what Penny says, would it be better if he said “well, you know, we got this highly rated recruiting class and I think that will give us a good chance to compete for third in the league.” Come on. Of course he’s going to set the expectations high. That’s not a bad thing.

It takes time to build a program. It took Marshall five years to get WSU back to the tourney, we all know what happened after that.

If you look at the trajectory Memphis is on it’s very similar. Doesn’t mean they’re going to have the same success we did but they’re on the right track.

Hate on them all you want but it looks ridiculous to act like Hardaway is some lost clown considering we’re 1-4 against him.
                          When you're a mid-major, it takes longer to build a winner since you need to develop 2-3 stars into good players.

Hardaway is landing one and done type talent, he should be winning a lot more than he is.

Comment

Sorry, but each year they have one of the BEST recruiting classes in the COUNTRY.

Their floor should be NCAA tourney...period. I don't care what excuses they have. Even with what you mention they have still had the players to make the tourney.

To me they have underperformed. Just the way I feel.
                            "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

• Originally posted by shockerfan View Post

Sorry, but each year they have one of the BEST recruiting classes in the COUNTRY.

Their floor should be NCAA tourney...period. I don't care what excuses they have. Even with what you mention they have still had the players to make the tourney.

To me they have underperformed. Just the way I feel.
                              There’s nothing unreasonable about that take and I don’t even necessarily disagree.

I’m just trying to provide some additional context and an alternate view point to what seems to be the prevailing wisdom.

As good and as highly rated as those recruiting classes are they’re still freshmen. Experience still counts for a lot in college basketball. Look no further than Duke or Kentucky for teams who get great recruiting classes year in and year out who have missed NCAA tourney(s) recently.

Memphis has that experience in the program now along with the talented recruits so now they need to maintain that kind of balance. They absolutely should be a perennial top 25/NCAA tournament team out of the AAC from this point forward. That’s my expectation for them.

I guess I just didn’t expect them to snap their fingers and be their best selves immediately with a new coach who had never coached at a level higher than AAU and a bunch of talented but young freshman. I figured there would be some growing pains.

Comment

• Let’s just say, based on talent alone, I would trade rosters with UoM in a SECOND.

Taking that into account, WSU still made the tourney ahead of them.

UoM and Penny have underperformed.
                                The Assman

Comment

Working...
                                X