2021 WSU transfers starting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by OregonShocker View Post
    The grass isn't always greener, and when it is, it may be due to fertilizer. The future owes nothing to anyone. Some folks learn these lessons the hard way.
    some would say focus on watering your own lawn

Comment

• I just read where the AAC has eliminated the one year sit out and loss of eligibility rule for intra-conference transfers.

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
        I just read where the AAC has eliminated the one year sit out and loss of eligibility rule for intra-conference transfers.
        Hello Mikey.
        People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• I'd take Burton back in a heartbeat.
          Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

• I think Gilbert really should test the professional waters. If a player can get serious money (either from the NBA, or overseas in a decent league) then I don't think it is usually the best choice for them or their family to risk extra years grinding away at the collegiate level. You never know how many games you will get on the hardwood before injury or life circumstances force you off of it. I will have nothing but good things to say about Gilbert's brief time year if he finds his way to the pros, and I do think he could get a contract at his current level (at least in Europe). It would be ludicrous to expect 2 years out of a 5th-year graduate transfer that will turn 24 this year.

Comment

• Stupid question and perhaps already answered elsewhere, but, here goes: Is a school under any obligation to take a player back once they declare for the transfer portal ( or test the NBA draft waters?)

Comment

• Originally posted by OregonShocker View Post
                Stupid question and perhaps already answered elsewhere, but, here goes: Is a school under any obligation to take a player back once they declare for the transfer portal ( or test the NBA draft waters?)
                No
                Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by BOBB View Post
                  I'd take Burton back in a heartbeat.
                  High quality young man in all my interactions with him while he was here. I happened to run into him just before the fall semester and visited with him for a minute or 2. He didn't go into detail, and I had no desire to press him, but I got the feeling he wasn't all that happy with how things played out. Just my opinion, but all things being equal I think he would have preferred to stay here.

Who knows though. I certainly wish him the best wherever he ends up. Pretty sure every program would like to have a Jamarius Burton.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

High quality young man in all my interactions with him while he was here. I happened to run into him just before the fall semester and visited with him for a minute or 2. He didn't go into detail, and I had no desire to press him, but I got the feeling he wasn't all that happy with how things played out. Just my opinion, but all things being equal I think he would have preferred to stay here.

Who knows though. I certainly wish him the best wherever he ends up. Pretty sure every program would like to have a Jamarius Burton.
                    He cared. And while he wasn't perfect, he certainly was not selfish.

I think he would have been a good missing piece on the defensive end this season. Tyson is good, but he didn't have the physicality of JB to match up with taller/stronger guards.
                    "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

He didn't go into detail, and I had no desire to press him, but I got the feeling he wasn't all that happy with how things played out.
                      I think that there are going to be a lot of players who will find out that things are better after leaving. The sit out rule at least required the player to think really hard before leaving. More transfers were more likely to be happy about leaving because they had to really think the decision out.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post
                        I think that there are going to be a lot of players who will find out that things are better after leaving. The sit out rule at least required the player to think really hard before leaving. More transfers were more likely to be happy about leaving because they had to really think the decision out.
                        Some people, well probably most people if we’re being honest, learn lessons best “the hard way”. It’s understandable, especially when you’re young. You don’t know what you don’t know. Others can give you advice until they’re blue in the face but sometimes you don’t realize how right they were until you experience it for yourself.

Parents can’t protect their kids forever and sometimes you have to let them loose to make their own mistakes. Easier said than done, I’m sure.

I think it’s ok to want to try something different if you’re not happy. Sticking it out is fine too, it really just depends on the situation. It’s just another part of the experience of life. Some kids will end up happier at their new destination, some won’t. The ones who don’t will have the benefit of a life lesson and the added buffer of a sit out year if they decide they want to transfer again.

Is this new rule better or worse? Who is to say. Maybe it’s neither. Maybe it’s just different.

Comment

• Originally posted by BOBB View Post
                          I'd take Burton back in a heartbeat.
                          Me too. JB is a solid all around player. He was the one player that I didn’t want to transfer.

Comment

• It’s interesting that so far only Trevin Wade has committed to a new school. I know Taylor said it’s unlikely that any of the guys come back to WSU from the transfer portal but I wonder how things are going for them. Would be interesting article to read if someone tried to catch up with them and get an update while they’re still in limbo.

Comment

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post
                              It’s interesting that so far only Trevin Wade has committed to a new school. I know Taylor said it’s unlikely that any of the guys come back to WSU from the transfer portal but I wonder how things are going for them. Would be interesting article to read if someone tried to catch up with them and get an update while they’re still in limbo.
                              Good point. I wonder if the majority of players entering the transfer portal will be players who are unhappy with playing time and/or not good enough to earn playing time.
                              "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

Working...
                              X