2021 WSU transfers starting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post

I guess it is a matter of if you think you are better than those ahead of you and want to prove it. If you don't want to work to get better than those in front of you or do the work to prove it, you move on to "greener" pastures where you don't have to compete. For me, I am ultra competitive and want to prove people who doubt me wrong.
    I could work all I want, but I would have never played college basketball at any level. Doesn't mean I'm not competitive. Just that I understand my limits. I imagine that was the case with Seymour. He will likely have an opportunity at the JUCO or mid-major/low-major levels to be a contributor. But he wasn't going to be a contributor in the AAC until much later.
    "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

I agree with this. He made good strides as the year went on. But I also agree that I'd prefer he not be playing 25 minutes at the 4. We do what we gotta do, but we have to get taller inside. I don't even care if they're not big and bulky guys, as long as they're strong enough and athletic enough to hold their own and rebound, and maybe block a shot or two. I think sometimes we get caught up on guys having to weigh 240+, or whatever arbitrary number based on position.
      Jackson is basically a Rashard Kelly to me .. the thing is, I feel like he's Junior level Rashard and we still have 3 years of eligibility left with him. He has ALOT of potential. It's also much easier to get someone to reign in their motor than it is to try to get extra motor out of someone.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post

I could work all I want, but I would have never played college basketball at any level. Doesn't mean I'm not competitive. Just that I understand my limits. I imagine that was the case with Seymour. He will likely have an opportunity at the JUCO or mid-major/low-major levels to be a contributor. But he wasn't going to be a contributor in the AAC until much later.
        This is going to be a path for a lot of players with this extra year. Freshman play this year, transfer down while still being a freshman, get a lot of playing time for the next 3 years, then grad transfer (since they would have already been in school 4 years) for a 5th season to a high major.

Comment

• Originally posted by TrackSuitAndTie View Post
          First recruiting win for HCIB?!?

Does this mean that AG might not be back for another year?

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

I agree with this. He made good strides as the year went on. But I also agree that I'd prefer he not be playing 25 minutes at the 4. We do what we gotta do, but we have to get taller inside. I don't even care if they're not big and bulky guys, as long as they're strong enough and athletic enough to hold their own and rebound, and maybe block a shot or two. I think sometimes we get caught up on guys having to weigh 240+, or whatever arbitrary number based on position.
            Evan Mobley at USC is a string bean.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1979Shocker View Post

JB needs to improve a lot over the summer. I'd like him to stay if he can make that improvement. He'll only be a freshman in eligibility next year.

I just don't want to see him go and in 4 years, he's a lottery pick.
              I definitely want to see JB with a full non-covid, not recovering from knee surgery off season before I get too definitive. He’s shown tantalizing glimpses in both years. I think his size and the things I’ve seen him do on the court, albeit in small doses, are worth allowing some extra development time.

Especially if he’s generally a positive person to have on the team. I don’t know anything about that but lacking a motor and motivation when young doesn’t necessarily make him a bad teammate.

Comment

• Originally posted by apkbaum View Post

I believe quite a bit of them are already back home. Not sure if its because their classes are all online this semester and with basketball over, are free to go home but I have seen a few of their social media with them back in their hometowns.

I hope CJ & JS stay too but they didn't see a whole lot of playing time this year and if we have one or two more possible transfers, I would have to say one of those two after JB. I can see Jenkins leaving over Seymour just by how his body language was this season being on the bench.
                When is spring break this year?

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Jackson is basically a Rashard Kelly to me .. the thing is, I feel like he's Junior level Rashard and we still have 3 years of eligibility left with him. He has ALOT of potential. It's also much easier to get someone to reign in their motor than it is to try to get extra motor out of someone.
                  They're both energy guys, but Rashard was a much better athlete than Jackson IMO.
                  "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

Strange analogy but ok. Agree to disagree. I see most of these guys transferring as a cop out and a weakness. I didn't see Jaden as a guy who could not compete at the AAC level. He has it. Just needs to develop more.

Comment

• Originally posted by GreatWhiteBuffalo View Post
                      This portal is going to be a circus every year from here on unless some stipulations are put in place.
                      Kind of makes you wonder if a different recruiting approach maybe should be taken. Forget about recruiting freshmen based on potential unless you tell them upfront you do not expect them to play much and perhaps a redshirt year should be considered. Prioritize freshman you believe can help immediately and perhaps focus more on the Juco ranks and the transfer portal.

Not sure in the long run the lack of continuity will produce the best teams but it may be the way of the world going forward and the best coaches will be those than can constantly incorporate newbies and build systems that can be absorbed fairly easily by newbies.

Not really fond of that approach but that may be the world of college basketball in its present state.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Taylor posted we are no longer in the running for West right now. He wants to stay closer to home.
                        Unless you are an elite player I think it is well worth it to stay within a day's drive of home.
                        Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

When is spring break this year?
                          The spring semester started later (around Feb 1, I believe...usually starts Tuesday after MLK Day), so because of that, there was/is no spring break for WSU this year.
                          78-65

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

Kind of makes you wonder if a different recruiting approach maybe should be taken. Forget about recruiting freshmen based on potential unless you tell them upfront you do not expect them to play much and perhaps a redshirt year should be considered. Prioritize freshman you believe can help immediately and perhaps focus more on the Juco ranks and the transfer portal.

Not sure in the long run the lack of continuity will produce the best teams but it may be the way of the world going forward and the best coaches will be those than can constantly incorporate newbies and build systems that can be absorbed fairly easily by newbies.

Not really fond of that approach but that may be the world of college basketball in its present state.
                            I would like to see the pros make an effort to have a more realistic development league system and college turn into glorified intramurals. The college system is BS.
                            Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

They're both energy guys, but Rashard was a much better athlete than Jackson IMO.
                              "Athlete" is hard to measure so I have to disagree with you. I've seen plenty from Jackson to think the athletic skills are there.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1979Shocker View Post

JB needs to improve a lot over the summer. I'd like him to stay if he can make that improvement. He'll only be a freshman in eligibility next year.

I just don't want to see him go and in 4 years, he's a lottery pick.
                                that's a concern??????

Comment

Working...
                                X