2021 WSU transfers starting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dan View Post

I get it, but so far it’s just a couple backups. These guys want to play pro ball, every single one of them. They gotta go where they can play.
    Correct me if I'm wrong here, but wasn't Porter next in line when AG leaves?

Comment

• Originally posted by GreatWhiteBuffalo View Post

We don’t know what’s going on or being said behind the scenes. Craig Porter did very little to be handed anything.

Comment

We don’t know what’s going on or being said behind the scenes. Craig Porter did very little to be handed anything.
        Didn't say I liked it. Just said it is what it is. Typically PG2 becomes PG1 at the onset of a season when the former PG1 leaves.

Comment

I get it, but so far it’s just a couple backups. These guys want to play pro ball, every single one of them. They gotta go where they can play.
          And this is the problem. Unrealistic expectations by players. Most players, even at the D1 level are not going to play pro ball anywhere. Everyone that knows anything about basketball knows it but still most of these players have no clue.

Comment

Just because Porter was second on the depth chart this year doesn’t necessarily mean he was next in line to take over next year. There was always the option (still is technically) for Gilbert to return, that we could recruit another PG, etc. Porter hasn’t shown quite enough to convince me that we wouldn’t try to find another option in the off season but I do like him as a player and admit that it’s possible, if unlikely, he would have been capable of being the lead guy had he stuck around.

Comment

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

Just because Porter was second on the depth chart this year doesn’t necessarily mean he was next in line to take over next year. There was always the option (still is technically) for Gilbert to return, that we could recruit another PG, etc. Porter hasn’t shown quite enough to convince me that we wouldn’t try to find another option in the off season but I do like him as a player and admit that it’s possible, if unlikely, he would have been capable of being the lead guy had he stuck around.
              So you're telling me that if A) Porter remains on the roster, and B) AG leaves, that Porter would not have been the default PG1 going into next basketball season? I never said he would be given the job for the entirety of the year. I'm talking the beginning. Going into the year he absolutely would have been PG1 and given every opportunity to earn that job full-time. I never said there would be no competition.

Comment

• Either AG is coming back or Porter was told to leave. Players get told to leave for reasons that fans never know.

If AG has said he was leaving (which is likely something Porter would know) and Porter's scholarship would be renewed, I don't see any way he would enter the portal. He'd be the default starter on a conference champion and an NCAA team.
                The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Very few times, during the Marshall years, did the lead PG position transfer from the starter to the backup. Armstead to VanVleet being the most obvious and Malcom only played 1 year.

Comment

So you're telling me that if A) Porter remains on the roster, and B) AG leaves, that Porter would not have been the default PG1 going into next basketball season? I never said he would be given the job for the entirety of the year. I'm talking the beginning. Going into the year he absolutely would have been PG1 and given every opportunity to earn that job full-time. I never said there would be no competition.
                    Even if AG stays, I would be worried about his durability due to his past injury record. I would have felt better having an experienced Porter as backup. We learned what happens when Fred went down and WSU only had a frosh PG as backup.

Comment

In your scenario I would say it depends on who we recruited. We were connected to Jarrod West from Marshall before Porter entered the portal. If Porter had stayed and we signed West I would expect West to be the guy from game 1.

Comment

• Tyson is the PG as of now and until we sign and train a new guy, that is unless AG returns.

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                          What are the odds on another announcement today?
                          Talkin Shox Twitter said an announcement is coming soon on two players.

Comment

• I'd speculate that DD and TE go for NBA evaluations this year then return for one more year. I seriously doubt Tyson makes his senior day but I think he could use another year.

Comment

In your scenario I would say it depends on who we recruited. We were connected to Jarrod West from Marshall before Porter entered the portal. If Porter had stayed and we signed West I would expect West to be the guy from game 1.
                              Right. Fans would expect that. No coach is going to sign a guy and tell the returner "Hey, the new guy is gonna get that job." Not a chance. There would have been, at least for all intents, purposes, and appearances, a competition for the job, with Porter penciled in as PG1. I don't understand why this is a point worthy of debate. I never said the final outcome would be guaranteed that Porter would complete the season as PG1. I said he would move into that slot until it was taken from him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                                Either AG is coming back or Porter was told to leave. Players get told to leave for reasons that fans never know.
                                What is this definitive statement based upon?

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                                If AG has said he was leaving (which is likely something Porter would know) and Porter's scholarship would be renewed, I don't see any way he would enter the portal. He'd be the default starter on a conference champion and an NCAA team.
                                If by “default starter” you mean he was the only PG left on the roster, then ok. We were publicly connected to at least one grad transfer before Porter announced so I don’t think he was going to be the only PG for long.

There’s nothing wrong with speculating about why a player left but why not frame it as such rather than as concrete, established fact which it almost certainly isn’t.

Comment

Working...
                                X