No announcement yet.

21-22 Wishlist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What era do you believe had the most athletic, talented teams as well as most parity:

1951-1964

2007-2020

And it is incredibly foolish to say W/L record doesn't matter.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post

That's right. Because there were only 16, not 68 teams that got into the NCAA tourney. Comparing post-season records is bogus. Comparing W/L records between Miller and Marshall is equally flawed. When there are 2 or 3 top-20 teams on your schedule every year and you play each one of them twice is a little tougher than playing Evansville twice.

I don't hate Marshall. I just don't put him on a pedestal, and some posters believe that's required. I've been saying for years that there were holes in recruiting classes and I've been commenting for years that attempting to turn combo guards into PG's is a failed effort.
      Right.

Your signature line was “the future is so bright I gotta wear shades” for half a decade. You must’ve been ok with what was going on.

A pedestal? LOL. Yah HoF coaches typically land on pedestals.
      Deuces Valley.
      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
        Aargh’s hate for Marshall is apparent. It’s just strange you never heard about it up until this year. Shades must’ve been in the way.
        It’s been there. He was one of the more vocal posters around the Marshall Peter principle era.

Comment

• My 21-22 Wishlist:
          • I wish I was a little bit taller
          • I wish I was a baller
          • I wish I had a girl who looked good, I would call her
          • I wish I had a rabbit in a hat with a bat
          • And a six four Impala

Comment

• My biggest Marshall complaint was his inconsistent recruiting. Seemed like for every Tekele or Ron there were Manigault and Derail Greens. His aim was generally pretty low.

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post
              What era do you believe had the most athletic, talented teams as well as most parity:

1951-1964

2007-2020

And it is incredibly foolish to say W/L record doesn't matter.
              W/L records matter but must viewed in context -

Ralph Miller built his record coaching in three Prime Time Conferences
              1. Valley of Death Ralph was 220/133 overall and 81/75 in conference
              2. B1G Ralph was 95/51 overall and 54/30 in conference
              3. PAC12 Ralph was 342/198* overall and 204/114 in conference (*18 victories lost to NCAA sanctions due to Lonnie Shelton signing with an agent)

Marshall built his record coaching in three lesser conferences than Ralph -
              1. Big South Marshall was 194/83 overall and 104/24 in conference
              2. Valley of Mediocrity Marshall was 261/90 overall and 134/46 in conference
              3. AAC Marshall was 70/31 overall and 35/19 in conference

Background and Character also matters
              Ralph Miller -
              1. Is in the Hall of Fame
              2. In high school at Chanute, Kansas was all-state three consecutive years in football and basketball; set the state record in the low hurdles in 1937.
              3. Lettered three consecutive years at KU in football (QB) and basketball; in track he beat Jim Bausch (1932 Olympic decathlon gold medalist) in 7 of 10 events
              4. Was coached by Phog Allen (recognized as the Father of Basketball Coaching) and met James Naismith (inventor of basketball).

Gregg Marshall -
              1. Was a 6'2", 145-pound point guard for Cave Spring High School in Roanoke, Virginia
              2. Was a member of the Randolph-Macon basketball team
              3. Assisted John Kresse for eight years at the College of Charleston
              4. Was forced to resign as head coach of the Shockers due to multiple allegations of verbal and physical abuse spanning years during his tenure at WSU

Comment

• Well Aargh, when that guy is on your side of an argument, you know you’re cooked.
                Deuces Valley.
                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Wow. I didn’t miss this guy. Hoped that 2 months away would result in some humbling but I guess not.

Comment

• How did Furman do in the tourney this year??
                    The Assman

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker1976 View Post

3. PAC12 Ralph was 342/198* overall and 204/114 in conference (*18 victories lost to NCAA sanctions due to Lonnie Shelton signing with an agent)

Ralph Miller -
                      2. In high school at Chanute, Kansas was all-state three consecutive years in football and basketball; set the state record in the low hurdles in 1937.
                      3. Lettered three consecutive years at KU in football (QB) and basketball; in track he beat Jim Bausch (1932 Olympic decathlon gold medalist) in 7 of 10 events
                      4. Was coached by Phog Allen (recognized as the Father of Basketball Coaching) and met James Naismith (inventor of basketball).

Gregg Marshall -
                      1. Was a 6'2", 145-pound point guard for Cave Spring High School in Roanoke, Virginia
                      4. Was forced to resign as head coach of the Shockers due to multiple allegations of verbal and physical abuse spanning years during his tenure at WSU
                      This is a joke right? I'm being punked?

Background and character? What they did in HS and where they went to college has baring on whether they were the best WSU college coach? You are a special kind of weird my man.

Comment

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post
                        Wow. I didn’t miss this guy. Hoped that 2 months away would result in some humbling but I guess not.
                        I served the full 90 days of my self imposed penalty; what in my post gives you grief? I simply stated facts about the two men, if you can't deal with facts what do you want to read?

Comment

I served the full 90 days of my self imposed penalty; what in my post gives you grief? I simply stated facts about the two men, if you can't deal with facts what do you want to read?
                          The fact that you’re painting Gregg Marshall as an underdog from nowhere with no silver spoon up his ass makes me appreciate him even more. That’s my kind of dude.

Ralph Miller went to KU, played under Phog Allen and washed the feet of the almighty James Naismith? Those are all strikes against him in my book.

Comment

Ralph Miller -

Gregg Marshall -
                            With all due respect, and I mean all due respect, please STFU

Comment

Seemed like only 20 days.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                                My biggest Marshall complaint was his inconsistent recruiting. Seemed like for every Tekele or Ron there were Manigault and Derail Greens. His aim was generally pretty low.
                                He took fliers on kids with insane upside. Kenny’s wingspan was damn near 10ft but he didn’t have the motor. Eric Hamilton had the motor but little else. Derail green could take a charge but didn’t have the mentality to last. They either became JT Durley or transferred, and there’s nothing wrong with that. Tekele and Ron were tough as nails. Trying to toughen up some kids is damn near impossible.
                                People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Working...
                                X