No announcement yet.

21-22 Wishlist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1. A coach that can compete when the lights are hot.

yep, that’s about it. Someone mentioned, sincerely, sending IB to a camp to learn how to be a coach. Yeah, because hiring a coach with experience is too difficult.
    People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by GreatWhiteBuffalo View Post

LOL. Ok, Chief. I made the statement that it looked like it was the same offense as all season. You are the one who took it to the extreme of excusing the lack of sets because of a "not normal" year. You took the "moral high ground" of calling me out for not being at the practices, but when I turn the tables on you it suddenly "doesn't matter." Get over yourself. I offered reasons why WSU didn't improve, you chose to excuse the coach because of lack of normalcy.
      You first. Seriously. This fanbase is embarrassing right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

This is a very fair statement. I just think the overreaction, considering how much we exceeded expectations this year, is a little embarrassing for the fanbase. We won the Fing league (Marshall never did that). We went to the tourney from the AAC (something Marshall only did 1 out of the 2 years (last year was a toss up if we would have made it). Yet we have people on here saying that a couple bad games saying we have tanked our program forever and the entire athletic department needs to be fired. Seriously. The amount of people that only remember the good times from Marshall is amazing. We lost to 13 seed Marshall with a freaking first round draft pick on the team.
        Sure they won the league...with an asterisk of never playing SMU and not having two with Memphis who absolutely waxed them when Memphis had been playing BAD basketball up to that game.

Listen, I'm happy they won the league. I'm not happy they couldn't back that up in the post season.

Also, I am one of the few who thought there was no choice but to move on from Marshall, but also was not sold on the official hiring of IB.

Comment

You first. Seriously. This fanbase is embarrassing right now.
          Oh. Ok. Guess making observations about the play, or lack thereof, is now verboten? Good to know. Ought to make threads real short.

Comment

Sure they won the league...with an asterisk of never playing SMU and not having two with Memphis who absolutely waxed them when Memphis had been playing BAD basketball up to that game.

Listen, I'm happy they won the league. I'm not happy they couldn't back that up in the post season.

Also, I am one of the few who thought there was no choice but to move on from Marshall, but also was not sold on the official hiring of IB.
            There is no asterisk. We won because we won a higher percentage of games put in front of us than Memphis/SMU/Houston (which is what all the schools agreed upon before the year). Houston and Memphis didn't lose the title because they had to play the tougher teams. They lost the title because both of them lost to Tulsa (which we didn't) and Houston lost to ECU also. Winning titles is more than just beating the top teams .. it's not losing to the crap teams.

Comment

Credit where credit is due. Credit to IB for the regular season. Outstanding ! Post season was a disaster AND
              embarrassing to watch. IB has to take some responsibility for that, as well. I have my doubts going forward but
              recruiting 2-3 quality/polished players and not losing the returning nucleus will determine a lot going forward.

Comment

I bolded a KEY statement. Were you in the practices? I'm guessing no. With limited capacity, Were you even at the games? I'm guessing most on here that is a no also. From watching the game on TV, were you able to see the coaching being done? I watched every game on TV. I sure don't remember seeing more than 2-3 minutes combined all year of any conversations on the bench because they were always focused on the court or the analysts or commercials. I sure can't make a judgement of what he did or didn't try to do. Heck, I'd argue that 99% of the people bitching on this board wouldn't be able to tell if an actual adjustment was made. The only thing they based their decisions on is whether more balls went in the hoop which has 100 factors to make that happen.

I'm just saying in a crazy year like this year, making major changes probably wouldn't be smart. Yes, he should make minor adjustments. We definitely saw SOME of those throughout the year. I felt like the defensive gameplan last night was amazing. Drake has an elite offense and we shut them down. Did we suck on offense? yes. Some blame goes to IB, but we shot like crap. Including shooting like crap on a lot of really good shots. Heck we missed 4 shots in a row, 1 foot from the basket with the game on the line. We missed 11 FT. Dexter bricked several wide open 3s. They were selling out on stopping Etienne and we didn't have enough people step up and hit shots to take advantage of that.
                Let me add to that he had a mask on so not only was reading lips impossible but so was the mood or manner in which he was saying things. I have been to practice when he was an assistant and have seen him become very stern with players. I do not know whether that occurred this year or not and most of you don't either.

Comment

Not hiring the AAC Coach of the year and coach of the team that won the AAC wouldn't have played out well. It might end up being the wrong decision in the long run, but it was the only decision in the short term. We literally went from being the dark story of the season to the feel good story of the season. That matters ... no matter how much people like to scream on here that it doesn't .. how the program is perceived in the national spotlight matters. The opinion of fans on message boards does not matter. That's just the reality of it. We repaired our program image in 3 months.
                  If you don't win, the national spotlight won't be on you either.

Comment

Enjoying all the friendly banter about Coach Brown !! LoL. Personally I am going to give him next season before jumping to too many conclusions one way or another. This was his first season as the head man and I am sure there is some adjustments to that. I think the fact that we didn't finish the season playing our best basketball is disappointing, but sometimes happens with good teams.

Comment

Pretty much this. WSU has not run a real offense for years. I'm tired of one guy dribbling around while everyone else stands there watching. The jacking up a stupid shot at the end of the sequence is also not enjoyable.

We knew what to expect from Marshall offense. It wasn't going to change. Considering IB took over a week before the year, it was fairly obvious that he wasn't going to change up the offense mid season. He's now on the clock to implement his own touch on the program. With him having 7 years under GM, I don't expect drastic changes, but he might have a few tricks up his sleeve.
                      On one hand, I agree with GWB and Marshall's offense. It was infuriating at times. However, I don't know if that is because it's too hard for some players to execute or it's just not my style of offense. I think Fred, Ron, and Tekele were unique. They seemed to think and act as one mind. So did Marshall's offense work? I suppose it did (or it was those teammates spin of it).

I don't care for an offense than relies on a player's level of athletic ability to make it run or that has too few moving parts. Maybe my thinking asks more than most players can give. After all, one of the best offenses I've ever watch was Pete Carril's "Princeton Offense". If your players can run that, I guess they could run any kind of offense.

For those not familiar (or you just want to enjoy good basketball being taught) and have 30 minutes to kill:

For more college basketball analysis straight to your inbox -- including both X's and O's and analytics -- sign-up for our newsletter here: https://hoopvisio...

Comment

On my wishlist is 6 new players (and I hope that's all we need)

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

On one hand, I agree with GWB and Marshall's offense. It was infuriating at times. However, I don't know if that is because it's too hard for some players to execute or it's just not my style of offense. I think Fred, Ron, and Tekele were unique. They seemed to think and act as one mind. So did Marshall's offense work? I suppose it did (or it was those teammates spin of it).

I don't care for an offense than relies on a player's level of athletic ability to make it run or that has too few moving parts. Maybe my thinking asks more than most players can give. After all, one of the best offenses I've ever watch was Pete Carril's "Princeton Offense". If your players can run that, I guess they could run any kind of offense.

For those not familiar (or you just want to enjoy good basketball being taught) and have 30 minutes to kill:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoYkihO2BAw
                          And the Single Wing, Power I, and Wing T are great offenses too. No players will ever be recruited to run them, but they were great 50-60 years ago.

Comment

This is a very fair statement. I just think the overreaction, considering how much we exceeded expectations this year, is a little embarrassing for the fanbase. We won the Fing league (Marshall never did that). We went to the tourney from the AAC (something Marshall only did 1 out of the 2 years (last year was a toss up if we would have made it). Yet we have people on here saying that a couple bad games saying we have tanked our program forever and the entire athletic department needs to be fired. Seriously. The amount of people that only remember the good times from Marshall is amazing. We lost to 13 seed Marshall with a freaking first round draft pick on the team.
                            I loved Marshall but you are not wrong here

Comment

There is no asterisk. We won because we won a higher percentage of games put in front of us than Memphis/SMU/Houston (which is what all the schools agreed upon before the year). Houston and Memphis didn't lose the title because they had to play the tougher teams. They lost the title because both of them lost to Tulsa (which we didn't) and Houston lost to ECU also. Winning titles is more than just beating the top teams .. it's not losing to the crap teams.
                              Oh give me a freaking break. If the roles were reversed, you'd be arguing against it just to be a homer.

We also could've lost games to ECU, Temple, etc. but we have no way of knowing because we didn't play the games. We won the league this year by a technicality. I'll take the No.1 seed and it shoul'dve given us a clear path to the title game and an avoidance of the NCAA play-in game, but of course that didn't work out. There definitely is an asterisk on the championship this year.
                              Last edited by ShockerFever; March 19, 2021, 11:08 PM.
                              Deuces Valley.
                              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Trevin Wade enters the portal. That was fast!

Comment

Working...
                                X