• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow...that's encouraging?

Comment

Originally posted by Capitol Shock
      I wouldn't be too discouraged by that. That report was from last summer -- AJ has had one full year to practice in Marshall's system. If he isn't getting it by now, he never will. I'm not going to judge until at least a quarter way into this coming season. We should all have our answer about AJ by then and I have some pretty high expectations for this young man.

Comment

In response to......

please always pay attention to.......

Originally posted by ShockRef
        As previously stated... The real deal. 8)

that is all.

Comment

Originally posted by Shox21
          I wouldn't be too discouraged by that. That report was from last summer -- AJ has had one full year to practice in Marshall's system. If he isn't getting it by now, he never will. I'm not going to judge until at least a quarter way into this coming season. We should all have our answer about AJ by then and I have some pretty high expectations for this young man.
          I would concur with Shox21 and others. If the reports are that he was dominating practices at times, it says to me that he's a player rising in ability -- he's engaged, learning and growing.
          “The rebellion on the populist right against the results of the 2020 election was partly a cynical, knowing effort by political operators and their hype men in the media to steal an election or at least get rich trying. But it was also the tragic consequence of the informational malnourishment so badly afflicting the nation. ... Americans gorge themselves daily on empty informational calories, indulging their sugar fixes of self-affirming half-truths and even outright lies.'

― Chris Stirewalt

Comment

Originally posted by Wuzee
            Gotta chime in on this.

I went up to Koch last summer to see the individual workouts. The wing guards were the group working when I was there (PJ, AJ, Lance and Graham).

They played a game of 2 on 2 with the loser doing pushups. It was PJ and Graham vs AJ and Lance. Not only did AJ not school PJ ... PJ and Graham took them 10-0. My sense was that PJ could have taken AJ to the rack anytime he wanted. The opposite was not true.

Coach was up mocking AJ from half court, yelling "That's A-10 defense. That ain't gonna cut it, A.J. ... You're in the Valley now."

Of course, that was only one day, but what it may indicate is that A) A.J. has used his off year wisely and really busted his tail in practice; and B) It's a great day to be a Shocker.
            Thanks for the info. This is my take on what you saw:

I have no doubts that PJ is a better defender than AJ (in fact I believe AJ has mentioned that getting better on D was a major goal of this redshirt year), which leads to this problem of analysis. Was PJ able to get to the basket because he is a better offensive player, on because he was being guarded by a worse defender. It could be that Hawk is a better offensive player, but that it is just a lot harder to score on PJ than it is to score on himself.

The second issue is that PJ never really (in my opinion) fulfilled in game what he was capable of on the offensive end. He would have stretches of play where he attacked the basket and looked like he should be averaging 20 points per game, but then mysteriously disappeared offensively at other times. Even if AJ, one on one, is not as good as PJ offensively, he may prove to be a more consistent scorer within the offense come game time (we shall see).

Of course the main factor is that PJ is two years older than AJ. That means two more years of basketball experience and time in the gym.

I know that it is comparing A10 to MVC (and a good team to a bad one), but let's compare PJ and AJ as sophomores (and since PJ redshirted before his freshman year while AJ is redshirting after his sophomore year, PJ had an extra year under his belt).

Minutes
            PJ - 29.6
            AJ - 30.4

AJ - 12.2

Rebounds
            PJ - 6.2
            AJ - 5.2

Assists
            PJ - 2.9
            AJ - 2.1

Blocks
            PJ - 0.49
            AJ - 0.59

Steals
            PJ - 0.94
            AJ - 0.97

Turnovers
            PJ - 2.40
            AJ - 1.97

FG percentage
            PJ - .447
            AJ - .446

3 point FG percentage
            PJ - .351
            AJ - .354

FT percentage
            PJ - .729
            AJ - .664

Just some food for thought.
            "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Have I mentioned that I'm excited?!?! :poster_hawk:
              Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker
              Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
              ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
              Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
              Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Hawkins will put the "J" in AJ. Count it.

If AJ performs as well as or better than PJ during his time here, I will be a very happy camper. PJ is one of my favorite players. While I hope AJ doesn't make us forget about PJ, I kind of do.

Comment

We'll never forget PJ, but if AJ has that kind of ability than we're all gonna be very, very happy. :D
                  Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                  Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                  ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                  Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                  Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Hatter
                    Of course the main factor is that PJ is two years older than AJ. That means two more years of basketball experience and time in the gym.
                    Actually, PJ is one year older, but with two years more DI experience. A.J., who was recruited heavily by Turg out of high school, went the prep school route after his senior year. That's another plus for us, of course ... A.J. is a junior with a senior's body and maturity.

P.J. -- b: Oct. 1984
                    A.J. -- b: Dec. 1985
                    “The rebellion on the populist right against the results of the 2020 election was partly a cynical, knowing effort by political operators and their hype men in the media to steal an election or at least get rich trying. But it was also the tragic consequence of the informational malnourishment so badly afflicting the nation. ... Americans gorge themselves daily on empty informational calories, indulging their sugar fixes of self-affirming half-truths and even outright lies.'

― Chris Stirewalt

Comment

It's all about skill level and both are highly skilled,I hope for AJ to be more assertive when leadership is needed at crunch time.

Comment

Working...
                      X