What's up with our shooting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's up with our shooting?

I don't think defense is causing us problems because we are missing wide open shots.

I don't think many of our guys are playing "Loose". They all look nervous to me with the exception of Gal and the seniors? I think Durley plays loose to.

Mantas, Ramone, Ellis, Preadom all act afraid, timid or unwilling to shoot and just play the game? Is it just me?

Re: What's up with our shooting?

Originally posted by Capitol Shock
    I don't think defense is causing us problems because we are missing wide open shots.

I don't think many of our guys are playing "Loose". They all look nervous to me with the exception of Gal and the seniors? I think Durley plays loose to.

Mantas, Ramone, Ellis, Preadom all act afraid, timid or unwilling to shoot and just play the game? Is it just me?
    No.

Comment

Ramon has a broken pinky so he was gone.
      Mantas is trying to take more shots - good for him

Comment

Maybe Gal should look a little more serious, and others less serious.

Frustrating.
        Wear your seatbelt.

Comment

Originally posted by wsu789
          Maybe Gal should look a little more serious, and others less serious.

Frustrating.
          Gal is one of the most Serious players on our team
          Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

Here are the MVC stats from ESPN, you may want to bookmark this site:

View the profile of James Madison Dukes Forward Denzel Bowles on ESPN. Get the latest news, live stats and game highlights.

lots of good up-todate information here.

Comment

Originally posted by Snapshot9
              Here are the MVC stats from ESPN, you may want to bookmark this site:

View the profile of James Madison Dukes Forward Denzel Bowles on ESPN. Get the latest news, live stats and game highlights.

lots of good up-todate information here.
              Uhh... Am I missing something here?

Comment

Apparently I missed it too?

Comment

Sorry guys, that was a 'previous' copy, here it is:

I found this site very imformative for stats:

The 2023-24 NCAAM Regular Season Player stat leaders on ESPN. Includes stat leaders in every category from points and assists to rebounds and blocks.

click on individual players or team names to get more stats.

Comment

What's Up With Our Shooting?

Pretty obvious - what is up is misses. What is down is makes.

Are we just lousy shooters/makers or is something else going on?

IMHO, I don't think we have great shooters, but it is hard to believe we are as bad as we are showing this year.

However, the longer this goes on the more it becomes a head/thinking issue.

I thought that in the Game against Illinois State that we passed up a number of great looks at the basket only to follow up by taking a much tougher, defended/forced shot. It just seems like the guys are really thinking too much out there to the point of passing up good looks to settle for tough shots.

Comment

With the returners we have, our 3 point shooting is pretty much like it has been the last two years (Gal is off a bit). We did lose Wilson 36.4%, SO 38.3%, and KB 37.7%.

06-07-08
                      MB 30.1% - 39.0% - 38.1%
                      PJ 35.1 - 34.9% - 33.3%
                      GM n/a - 35.4% - 25.0%
                      WP 0.0% (0 for 11) - 22.2% - 14.3%

Except for JT, most of the new guys have been pretty bad:
                      MG 13.0%
                      JT 30.0% - Not bad
                      AE 0.0% 0 for 6
                      PT 16.7% - Not new but only shot 4 3's last year (0 for 4)

Comment

And if you click on players here in previous years, it takes you to a screen with their previous years shooting stats besides the current year, so you can see if they are up or down from previous years.

For example, click on PJ's name, and you can see just how much he is down from last year on stats, so it makes you wonder if he is really better at the 2 than the 3 position?

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker
                          I thought that in the Game against Illinois State that we passed up a number of great looks at the basket ...
                          I blame ShockerNet. There, I said it. Everyone was oh the sky is falling when the guys had a few bad games of shooting from the 3. Now when you want guys that have had some success taking a shot, they don't because they are nervous about the 3 ball.

Comment

The weak shooting started last year after the 9-0 start and has continued. It appears to me that the primary reason is that teams are cutting off the passing lanes for inside out passes and even side to side passes to some extent. We do not have ( and very few teams have) a player who can pull up of their dribble and take a good shot. Almost all of the 3's we have made have come after a pass to a player who has taken an open set position. Ogirri at the start of last year could hit a shot off the dribble. Paul Miller was big enough to consistently hold his position catch the ball and outlet it back to an outside player or take a good inside shot. the guys we have now have to work hard to get position inside, make a move and shoot and I think this throws them off being able to get their position and then turn and shoot or pass it back out to set up a good 3 point shot. Defending teams know that our players cannot just turn and shoot which gives the defense more time and the outside player does not have to collapse in on the player and if he does our player is trying to move and get to the basket which places them in a bad position to pass the ball back out.

Comment

Over the last several years there have been many threads on ValleyTalk about SIU's shooting woes.

My contributions to those threads have always been that there's only so much practice time. Concentrate the practices on D and it takes away from practice time to work on offense and shooting.

There's a tradeoff between defense and offense. Most teams can excel at one or the other, but not both. Marshall has taken WSU to an emphasis on D.

Maybe Marshall looked at the players he had and decided WSU was better suited to winning games by preventing scoring rather than by scoring. Concentration on D in practices limits time concentrating on scoring. Generally, you're going to get one or the other and not both.

Marshall opted for D. Shooting is going to suffer until the team gets the D right and can start practicing some O.
                              The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                              We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Working...
                              X