Wichita State vs. Houston Game Thread 2-18-21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post

I've concluded that officials do the best they can with the pace of the game. Some are flat out bad, but they are still the best available or they wouldn't be on the court. They're going to miss some and they're going to get some. Both players and fans would probably do best to just accept the game as it's called. Coaches are the ones who should be concerned about complaining about officiating.
    I’m convinced it’s all about how refs catty themselves... they DO miss calls... thats ok... as long as it’s not about them...

Comment

I've concluded that officials do the best they can with the pace of the game. Some are flat out bad, but they are still the best available or they wouldn't be on the court. They're going to miss some and they're going to get some. Both players and fans would probably do best to just accept the game as it's called. Coaches are the ones who should be concerned about complaining about officiating.
      Wait...what. Many officials use their time on the court like girls do primping in the mirror. Also, you can’t take yelling at a primper away from me. What if I had a bad day at work and don’t have a dog to kick. I need primper to mask my obvious anger issues.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheShocktocles View Post
        Last night we heard that our backup point guards were out due to illness and injury. Does anyone know the status of Trevin Wade and Craig Porter? Go Shocks.
        Craig was under the weather. Heard no CV. Hopefully good to go. Not sure about TW.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOXAAC View Post

Wait...what. Many officials use their time on the court like girls do primping in the mirror. Also, you can’t take yelling at a primper away from me. What if I had a bad day at work and don’t have a dog to kick. I need primper to mask my obvious anger issues.
          Good point. If you're in the building it is MANDATORY to yell at the refs if you disagree.with a call. I didn't mean fans should just sit there and take seeing their team getting $crewed.
          The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
          We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Where is the fun in that? I’m a better official in row 32 than those guys on the floor.

Comment

• Originally posted by WeWillShockU View Post

Where is the fun in that? I’m a better official in row 32 than those guys on the floor.
              I would not be a ref for all the money in the world.... too thin skinned.... so I guess I should leave them alone... there probably is a book about things that have been yelled at refs, but my favorite yelling came once in a football game where a fan yelled after the SECOND play “ they have been holding all game long!”

Comment

• Originally posted by molly jabali View Post

I would not be a ref for all the money in the world.... too thin skinned.... so I guess I should leave them alone... there probably is a book about things that have been yelled at refs, but my favorite yelling came once in a football game where a fan yelled after the SECOND play “ they have been holding all game long!”
                That’s hilarious! I’ve also heard some doozies from ‘fans in the stands’ throughout the years; some classics at Shockers games... comments that make you do a double take. Even ole Ross and I heard it back in our day at the Wu.

What’s interesting is a lot it crazy outbursts often come from some of the most educated people. Of course parents are the absolute worst; professionals, doctors, lawyers, etc., wonderful people during the day, but are Jekyll & Hyde when they become a parent and watch their kids play sports; every call is a bad call and little Johnny (those are great jokes by the way) and Susie are always getting the short end of the stick. There were many times I debated about confronting a parent who was out of line, but they won’t reason with anyone at that moment. Sorry, I’m straying off topic again. Must be the oldtimers setting in.
                "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Loved the WuShock routine with the striped shirt, sunglasses and a cane during some games. Apparently had to quit that one because it was deemed a technical foul. Oh well

Comment

• That was a fun game to watch... put me on the IB bandwagon.
                    I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

• Originally posted by molly jabali View Post
                      Did anybody notice the one ref wanted to put 1.6 or so back on the clock because Tyson started his celebration with time on the clock?
                      That was kind of interesting. Tyson, in fact, did travel as he just started walking with the ball around the 2 second mark without dribbling. But by that time Houston had already left the floor. I guess the refs figured that well Houston has conceded and since it is a two possession game let's just forget it and get out of here. Now if it had been a 4 point lead or less I think they probably would have called Houston back onto the court with somewhere between 1.5 and 2.0 seconds remaining.

It was actually kind of funny as it transpired and I don't think it had any impact on the outcome of the game but I hope IHCIB points that out to Tyson on film review because that was not a very situation aware move by Tyson who is the last guy on the team you would think would do something like that. That could potentially be costly in a closer game although of no real consequence in this game. Actually, I could make a case that a 5 point possession is possible (although not very likely) in that situation. Houston throws it in and banks in a wild ass 3 pointer as the ball is on its way before the buzzer a Shocker commits a foul away from the ball and Houston being in the double bonus hits two free throws.
                      Last edited by 1972Shocker; February 22, 2021, 02:08 PM.

Comment

• Etienne Nabs Third American Player of the Week Award

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                          Etienne Nabs Third American Player of the Week Award

Not bad for a guy who did not make either the first or second team in the pre-season voting.

Comment

• This win was good for the Soul
                            For some the glass is half full and for others half empty. My glass is out of ice.
                            - said no one ever...

Comment

• Tyson is a slam dunk 1st teamer this year and possible POY, depending how we finish. Fred VV was also POY as a sophomore. That’s pretty rare air.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

That was kind of interesting. Tyson, in fact, did travel as he just started walking with the ball around the 2 second mark without dribbling. But by that time Houston had already left the floor. I guess the refs figured that well Houston has conceded and since it is a two possession game let's just forget it and get out of here. Now if it had been a 4 point lead or less I think they probably would have called Houston back onto the court with somewhere between 1.5 and 2.0 seconds remaining.

It was actually kind of funny as it transpired and I don't think it had any impact on the outcome of the game but I hope IHCIB points that out to Tyson on film review because that was not a very situation aware move by Tyson who is the last guy on the team you would think would do something like that. That could potentially be costly in a closer game although of no real consequence in this game. Actually, I could make a case that a 5 point possession is possible (although not very likely) in that situation. Houston throws it in and banks in a wild ass 3 pointer as the ball is on its way before the buzzer a Shocker commits a foul away from the ball and Houston being in the double bonus hits two free throws.
                                The team leaving the floor early is sort of a "protest" and is unsportsmanlike conduct in my opinion. In soccer unsportsmanlike conduct is a catchall for crappy behavior like that, when the ref needs a fallback. Obviously in this situation you wouldn't pull the "unsportsmanlike conduct" card, but they could if things degraded.

ShockRef does unsportsmanlike conduct work the same in basketball for those situations where there may not be a specific rule, but everyone knows it when they see it?
                                Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

Working...
                                X