Wichita State vs. Houston Game Thread 2-18-21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
    For those of you that couldn't attend in person, I'm really sorry and you missed a special special game.

You also missed 3 refs that absolutely were worth the price of admission. Did anyone else see TV Teddy dancing DURING play? BEYOND EPIC.
    Every part of that was true! First game of year for me... awesome!
    so it WAS Valentine???? Funny story... my nephew watched a college game somewhere last night and said he hated watching refs who love attention... I said “ johnHiggins and Ted Valentine say hello!”.... little did I know....

Comment

• I have never had, nor will I ever get, a Christmas gift that makes me as delighted as IB was when he heard we outrebounded Houston.
      “The rebellion on the populist right against the results of the 2020 election was partly a cynical, knowing effort by political operators and their hype men in the media to steal an election or at least get rich trying. But it was also the tragic consequence of the informational malnourishment so badly afflicting the nation. ... Americans gorge themselves daily on empty informational calories, indulging their sugar fixes of self-affirming half-truths and even outright lies.'

― Chris Stirewalt

Comment

• Originally posted by molly jabali View Post

Every part of that was true! First game of year for me... awesome!
        so it WAS Valentine???? Funny story... my nephew watched a college game somewhere last night and said he hated watching refs who love attention... I said “ johnHiggins and Ted Valentine say hello!”.... little did I know....
        Hollywood Higgins and TV Teddy at once.

But I tell ya. I don't mind the officiating as much when they are there.

compared to the **** we usually get, I was thankful for this crew.
        "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

• Post game interviews:

Comment

• Hard to point at anyone and say they didn’t play well. That was exactly what we needed.

-Mo was awesome despite not scoring much. His pick and roll defense, shot blocking, and rebounding was as good as its ever been.
            -Gilbert and Tyson started slow but once they got in a groove they were incredible.
            -Ricky Council awoke from his slumber and played really well, especially in the first half. Great move by Coach Brown to replace Ricky with Dexter in the second half after a few questionable possessions by Ricky.
            -Monzy is stringing together some really nice games. I rarely find myself upset with him lately. He has accepted coaching and is a huge asset to the team because of it.
            -DEXTER FREAKING DENNIS! That steal and two free throws at the end was maybe the most Tekele Cotton thing he’s ever done.
            -Trey Wade got the quick hook after not boxing out but he bounced back and found a way to contribute with a big 3, a couple timely rebounds, and a sweet pass to Tyson for a back breaking three.

We’ve said all along that this team has a ton of potential and that marginal improvement in defensive rebounding, defense, shot selection and attention to detail would cause the close wins against lesser competition to become comfortable wins and give them a chance to beat teams like Houston.

As many others have said, the effort was incredible tonight. Hopefully this is a light bulb moment for them because they have a chance to really make some noise down the stretch if they can play with close to that kind of intensity and passion every game.

Comment

• Originally posted by shocktown View Post
              Up to 73 in kenpom

The fact we beat team after team that banks in 3 balls is what must contribute to our high luck factor
              Wouldn't banked 3's give the team making the banked 3's a higher luck factor?

Comment

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post
                Hard to point at anyone and say they didn’t play well. That was exactly what we needed.

-Mo was awesome despite not scoring much. His pick and roll defense, shot blocking, and rebounding was as good as its ever been.
                -Gilbert and Tyson started slow but once they got in a groove they were incredible.
                -Ricky Council awoke from his slumber and played really well, especially in the first half. Great move by Coach Brown to replace Ricky with Dexter in the second half after a few questionable possessions by Ricky.
                -Monzy is stringing together some really nice games. I rarely find myself upset with him lately. He has accepted coaching and is a huge asset to the team because of it.
                -DEXTER FREAKING DENNIS! That steal and two free throws at the end was maybe the most Tekele Cotton thing he’s ever done.
                -Trey Wade got the quick hook after not boxing out but he bounced back and found a way to contribute with a big 3, a couple timely rebounds, and a sweet pass to Tyson for a back breaking three.

We’ve said all along that this team has a ton of potential and that marginal improvement in defensive rebounding, defense, shot selection and attention to detail would cause the close wins against lesser competition to become comfortable wins and give them a chance to beat teams like Houston.

As many others have said, the effort was incredible tonight. Hopefully this is a light bulb moment for them because they have a chance to really make some noise down the stretch if they can play with close to that kind of intensity and passion every game.
                Good win for the Shocks and our fans. They really fought a tough team tonight. I also think your above assessment is spot on. Go Shocks enjoy your win and day off. Then go back to grinding.

Comment

• Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post
                  Post game interviews:

LOL even Dex mentions the banked 3 and how it seems like every other game it happens.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1979Shocker View Post

Agreed, that’s why I slapped my forehead.

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by 1979Shocker View Post

Can’t make this up, just checked KP again and the Shocks are at 71 but more incredible is the fact we got the disrespect of the luck factor going from 8 to 6. That says we still aren’t being given proper credit for winning all these close games. Unbelievable

Comment

• Ok ok ok maybe I was a bit touchy with the refs but there were some BS non calls particularly in the first half. But I will take my lumps on this one. My bad. It wasn’t as dramatic as I made it originally. Think I just had a **** stressful work day.

Anyway, as for the game. One hell of an effort by this team tonight. I say team because that’s what it was. They showed heart and toughness and team basketball. You can really tell by watching that these kids like each other and play well together. DD was HUGE! Tyson was Tyson as usual. Lots of contributors from AG to RC4 to Monzy to Mo and on down.

I’m still taking a not to high not to low approach to this season. Shox could crap the bed in the next game then what? Same goes for IB. He looks great now and has the team rolling but what if we fall apart? I have been all in on Jans but am starting to come around to IB...for now.

Comment

• Dex is an awesome interview!

Comment

• Originally posted by Walker View Post

LOL even Dex mentions the banked 3 and how it seems like every other game it happens.
                              I laughed at Dem describing Alterique — “he’s almost a midget.”

Comment

• Did a UH player take a bite out of someone last year or has my memory faded even more?

Comment

Working...
                                X