Greetings from Winthrop.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wupike
    Not sure what you are getting at, I just wondered how you guys thought Marshall was doing that's all. Not trying to be "unsincere" or whatever your reffering too...
    Your timing was impeccable. We suffered our second humiliating loss in a row at home last night, so some people questioned if you knew that in advance before coming on here and asking us, but I give you the benefit of the doubt.
    KU fans are the most arrogant while KSU fans are the most delusional. ~BostonWu
    Criticizing this team is like criticizing one of Jerry's kids. ~DaShox

Comment

Drake was humiliating. I'm not so sure about ISU. But the timing of his post probably wasn't the best as a lot of us are a little on edge. I figured some might take it wrong, but from what I've seen of wupike on here and on the Winthrop board I have no issues.
      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by wupike
        He won right off the bat at WU with some very untalented players, so he is def. capable. Much tougher competition in the MVC though. I hope he can be succesful, he was a god at the WU. His system is based on defense, so don't expect the team to ever score very much. His deal was for 3 years correct? I saw some very un-Marshall like losses on your schedule this year. Maybe it's gonna take him some time. I know he doesn't put up w/ those types of losses.
        I am one of those that secretly hoped (expected) that Marshall would come in like the "white" knight and start reeling off the wins but it appears that solid coaching alone just won't cut it in the MVC. You have to have the talent as well.

Maybe a clearer comparison would be the MVC to the Big 12. After last year everybody and their dog was doubting Turgeon's competency. Then he bails and heads for A&M and is currently 13-1? Coaches look a lot smarter with a stable full of thoroughbreds.

I am praying that we really do have the talent that so many scouting services claimed we did and we just have a particularly slow (low IQ) group of kids. Marshall was able to implement his "NASA LEVEL" system at Winthrop immediately but seems to be struggling at WSU. With that in mind, I will lay the blame squarely on the shoulders of our players. Marshall has built too strong of a reputation to be doubted at this point.

T

...8)

Comment

It all goes back to the fact we have a much tougher conference...

Comment

tougher conference than what? surely not the big 12 THIS year...you must be meaning winthrops'....

Comment

Our conf is terrible.... but we helped start it, so I think we are stuck....

Comment

Originally posted by molly jabali
                tougher conference than what? surely not the big 12 THIS year...you must be meaning winthrops'....
                Yes I do mean Winthrops ...I'm not that dumb....please

Comment

HCGM will take over this MVC. We have given these games away, no offense to our competition. Shooting freethrows, hitting a better FG% are things that our opposition can control, but not to that extent. Hitting shots is about confidence and ability. We lack both at the moment. If we are not doing well in a year or two, then we can start to question HCGM, but not yet. You can already see that our defense is better, because we are in it every game.
                  ________
                  Smoke Weed Every Day
                  http://youtube.com/watch?v=XTOEV6f7jB4

Comment

One thing we've learned is to never rely on recruits until we see them at about their second year of D1 ball.

With that as a disclaimer, it appears that Marshall is recruiting a different type of player than Turgeon recruited. The appearance is that he's recruiting more athletic and taller players than we're used to seeing.

In looking at things after Marshall's first 1/3 of a season, players recruited for Turgeon's game are different than what Marshall recruits for his game. Marshall had very limited recruiting time in April to fill about half the scholarship roster. There weren't many players still available in April.

PJ Couisnard, in particular, seems to have trouble adjusting to what's expected of him in Marshall's game plans. PJ was around Turgeon's game for 4 years and Marshall's utilization of a 6'4" player is so different than Turgeon's that PJ is probably still trying to figure out how to forget 4 years and remember 3 months of the new strategy.

Gal Mekel is in his second year of "American" basketball and is learning his second system in 2 years. The JuCo recruits are finding challenges adjusting to the height, speed and quickness they see in D1 games.

That's enough tough challenges for a team that was down to 6 or 7 scholarship players when Marshall arrived. Add in injuries to 2 starters and the outlook for this season isn't bright.

Next year's recruiting class looks solid. Unfortunately we've thought that for several years and discovered "solid-looking" recruiting classes still led to holes in recruiting classes.

Marshall has been popular with WSU fans. His honesty is a bit tough for some fans to accept. He may need to become more of a "coach speak" type dealing with the media. Wichita and Valley media coverage is more intense than Marshall has probably seen.
                    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Let Coach be Coach. His honesty is refreshing. This reminds me of when the Red Sox were playing the Rockies and a couple of days for, Manny Ramirez said something like "So what? we lose a few games? It's not the end of the world. There's always next year."
                      So what if we might suck this year? There's always next year.

Comment

Working...
                      X