Wichita State vs. SMU Pregame Discussion 2-14-21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wichita State vs. SMU Pregame Discussion 2-14-21

WICHITA STATE (12-4, 8-2) vs SMU (11-4, 7-4)
    SUNDAY, FEB 14, 2021 | 3:00 P.M. CT
    DALLAS, TX / MOODY COLISEUM
    TV: ESPNU with Mark Adams on the call.
    RADIO: KEYN 103.7 FM (GoShockers.com/Listen)
    LAST MEETING: MARCH 1, 2020. WSU 66 - SMU 62
    GAME RECAP: DALLAS –
    Wichita State rallied from a 24-point second-half deficit to stun host SMU, 66-62 at Moody Coliseum in the largest comeback in school history.

Wichita State (22-7, 10-6 American) trailed 50-26 with 14:48 to play, at which point ESPN calculated SMU's win probability at 99.8 percent. Instead, the Shockers outscored the Mustangs 40-12 the rest of the way to take over sole possession of fourth-place in the conference standings and keep its hopes alive for an NCAA tournament bid.

The comeback was the second-largest in Division I basketball this year behind Eastern Illinois, which surged from 27 down to defeat Murray State.

Dexter Dennis set career-highs with 25 points and seven three-point field goals on 14 attempts to lead the Shockers. Grant Sherfield supplied 14 points and six assists and Jaime Echenique added seven points and team-high 13 rebounds.

Isiaha Mike scored 23 points on 10-of-18 shooting for SMU (19-9, 9-7), which lost at home for the first time in conference play and for just the second time all season.

WSU led 17-16 near the midway point of the first half, but SMU scored 16 of the next 17 points and went into the break with a 37-24 cushion. Mike supplied 10 points in a 13-2 SMU run to begin the second half, which pushed the lead to 24 points.

That was rock bottom for the Shockers who were 9-of-36 from the field (.250) at that point.

Over the last 14:00 they made 14-of-24 attempts, including 9-of-14 from three. Dennis hit five of those triples on his way to 17 second-half points. He became just the sixth player in school history to sink seven-or-more threes in a game.

As a team, Wichita State nailed 14 three-pointers – one shy of the school record – and its 36 attempts were the second-most in program history.

WSU won on the glass, 41-29, and outscored SMU 23-10 on second-chance opportunities, helped by 17 offensive rebounds.

The Shockers scored 17-straight points on five three-pointers to hack the 24-point deficit down to four with 7:22 to play.

Jamarius Burton's three-point play put the Shockers in front with 1:14 to go, 62-61.

Emman Bandoumel answered with a layup through contact with 48 seconds remaining to put SMU ahead 63-62, but his free throw missed.

Dennis hit his seventh-and-final triple with 39 seconds on the clock to give WSU the lead for good, 65-63.

The Shockers forced a defensive stop to regain possession with seven seconds left and Dennis scored a transition layup as WSU played keepaway for the final margin.
    Last edited by wichshock65; February 11, 2021, 09:17 PM.

Just get the W. I don’t care by how many or if we look good doing it.

Comment

The biggest key in this game:
      who coaches SMU?
      if Jank.... ballgame Shockers

Comment

Dexter Dennis has turned it up a notch over these past few games. If he keeps up his strong play this team's ceiling goes up significantly. I love the way he drives to the rim and want him to put someone on a poster so badly.

Comment

Originally posted by TrackSuitAndTie View Post
          Dexter Dennis has turned it up a notch over these past few games. If he keeps up his strong play this team's ceiling goes up significantly. I love the way he drives to the rim and want him to put someone on a poster so badly.
          Totally agree. It's great to see DD hitting his stride. Now. If dude could finish at the rim he would certainly rise to the next level. But dang! How can you practice putting the ball in the basket against trees taking swings at you? Not sure. But he needs to meditate on what that feels like. See the ball going in. Or just flush the freaking thing? Bucket or foul. Or both.

Comment

I thought Dex looked better than ever DRIVING to the basket last night and if he keeps driving under control but aggressive, he will begin to consistently finish. Just a numbers thing.

Comment

At some point the inability to close out games decisively is going to catch up with the Shox. If Dennis is coming out of his offensive slump, that would be a step in the direction of getting and maintaining leads.

The coaching staff better be able to figure out a way to take advantage of the fact that Etienne is getting doubled every time he touches the ball. The current screening game leaves two defenders between Etienne and the basket and between him and anyone he can pass to. It seems that getting him the ball closer to the basket would make the double choose between defending the basket or defending the pass.

Anei is capable of making the game miserable for Poor Bear and Udeze. If IB throws the same game at SMU that he's thrown against every other team, Shox are likely to lose the game. IB needs to go "Andy Reid" in this game and show something that's not been seen in every game up to this point.
              The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
              We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Originally posted by TrackSuitAndTie View Post
                Agreed. When he is aggressive going to the hoop he makes things happen. Either by creating open looks for others by collapsing the D on him, getting to the foul line, or making a bucket. I have wanted to see him be more willing to do this and it is no coincidence that he has turned it up a level the last few games by doing this. It makes his game all around better when he doesn't settle for the 3.

The lack of boxing out and allowing the other team easy buckets is mind numbing. Still, W's are W's and that is all that matters.

Comment

SMU is much better with Jolly back full time.

This game will reveal WSU's toughness quotient.

Comment

I'll tell ya what, there were multiple rebounds DD got last game that I thought to myself "That's a rebound we hadn't previously gotten". He was skying aggressively to get rebounds. Love to see it!! Keep going, Dex!

Comment

The Shocks do not stand a chance in this game. All the national experts and those on the AAC message board have said so. SMU is the second best team in this league. That's why they are ranked higher than the shocks and almost swept Memphis. And we know what Memphis did to the shocks. This is going to be a beat down on national television. Vegas picks SMU.

In addition the shocks will be playing against the best point guard in the league in K. Davis. Some say he is the best player in the league. He can not be guarded. He will get to the cup all night long and make layups. When people try and help out he will dish to F. Hunt for the automatic 3 point. Those guys can really shoot. And now they got Jolly back too. Their front line is bigger and more athletic than the shocks. Its a nightmare match up for the shocks. Considering the shocks just do not seem to have the mental toughness to play with SMU this is just not going to be a pretty site. I wish I was wrong but we just need to accept that SMU is out of our league. WSU doesn't even have a team this year. And after Coach M resigned their program is in shambles.

Are you tired of hearing all this type of smack. I know that I am. Lets see if this team and coaches are tired of hearing this and go and do something about it. Go Shocks.

Comment

Win this and at large talk will definitely heat up. Shutting down Davis is paramount if we are going to steal one.

Comment

AG on Davis and DD on Jolly?

Comment

Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post
                            AG on Davis and DD on Jolly?
                            I hope AG isn't on Davis. He's turned up a lot of aspects of his game .. but he still gives up way too much on Defense. I think if you frustrate Davis, you have the best chance of beating SMU. He's what makes them go.

Comment

And another cancel. Houston isn’t playing Sunday. Let’s make it happen!

Comment

Working...
                              X