Wichita State vs.Tulane Game Thread 2-3-21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post

Everything you said is fiction. Since I don’t have all day to cut and paste quotes from members of this board, people can believe you or I.
    I see the thinly veiled shots too. If it’s not their intent they need to do a better job of choosing their words.

But then again, we had people on this board who acted like they knew better than Gregg Marshall, so...

I listen to the pre/post game interviews and coaches shows so I know that the coaching staff is aware of the issues. They aren’t idiots.

Identifying issues and correcting them are two different things. Improvement doesn’t happen overnight and often comes in fits and starts. If it were as easy as saying “we are a bad rebounding team - rebound better now” then there would be no bad rebounding teams.

I have seen incremental improvements in that area, we out-rebounded Tulane by 5% last night, and will continue to track that stat the rest of the season.

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
      I bet if FHCGM watched the last 8 minutes he puked on his shoes
      Oh you mean kind of like how I was puking on my shoes watching when we played at Houston and scored 43 points last year under GM?

Comment

Everything you said is fiction. Since I don’t have all day to cut and paste quotes from members of this board, people can believe you or I.
        Why would I (I haven't seen anyone else either) dislike Isaac Brown? I will state again, that at this time I just don't think he is the right man for the job. From your comments, it appears like he is the right man for the job to you (at least you are defending him from any criticism) but you criticize posters but don't agree with your opinions on IB. Go ahead and attack me, but maybe you are the one stating fiction.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

Why would I (I haven't seen anyone else either) dislike Isaac Brown? I will state again, that at this time I just don't think he is the right man for the job. From your comments, it appears like he is the right man for the job to you (at least you are defending him from any criticism) but you criticize posters but don't agree with your opinions on IB. Go ahead and attack me, but maybe you are the one stating fiction.
          Speaking for myself, I don't dislike IB. In fact, he seems to be the right man to be IHC when called upon. But I look at our HC position as being at top 40-50 type job and I'm not sure if I'm comfortable handing the keys to a proven Assistant Coach. I feel the odds are in favor of our success with a proven Head Coach. No slight to IB at all. If he's not selected for this job, lots of doors will open. I'm sure of that.

Jans is the one I'm pulling for. Strong ties to the university and community. He wife loves it here, and those of us who are married know the value of that! He's a proven winner and will probably be the last coach we hire for the next 10-15 years. Is it a certainty that he will work out? No, but I believe the odds are better that with the unknown (or small sample size).

The question is, what will ADDB do? Little confidence in the man.

Comment

• I think I have been generally supportive and more than willing to give IB a good shot at the head spot. To date,
            it's hard to argue with the success he and the team has had so far, but as I previously stated, this team and coach
            are a little hard to figure out. They just don't seem to look as good on the court as their record shows. A top three
            conference finish and it's pretty hard to deny him another year or two. I am expecting at least five more losses
            which should put us fourth or fifth, out of the tournament, and IB on the bubble. A second place finish should earn
            him a minimum of a two year contract.

Comment

• Originally posted by molly jabali View Post

It may not be stated , but it is ALWAYS close to the surface....I don't get it either...this love affair of JANS OR BUST is crazy...what IF IB is the guy?
              Yes it is odd. Because Jans is not going to be the guy. It is open season on guys like Jans in today world. WSU not going to invite that type of criticism.

Comment

I’m trying to understand the critics of IB:

-He didn’t initiate a coup to overthrow our former coach
                -He is still close with our former coach
                -He did not ask for this job, nor was it in the best interest of anybody for him to turn it down once FHCGM resigned
                -For those of you deathly afraid he will be the permanent head coach, wins and losses are only part of what goes into that decision, so you can root for him.
                -In a league where most coaches have coached over 400 games, he has coached fourteen. Wouldn’t you think he may have some things to improve on?
                -Finally if you just like sniping at those who defend him, understand most of those people are not 100% behind him to be our permanent coach, but are 100% behind defending him because there is no way in hell anybody on this board could handle this mess better than him.

That is f’ing all.
                Outstanding post.

Comment

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post
                  I see the thinly veiled shots too. If it’s not their intent they need to do a better job of choosing their words.
                  If occasional criticism is a thinly veiled shot, I've been guilty

Originally posted by pie n eye View Post
                  But then again, we had people on this board who acted like they knew better than Gregg Marshall, so...

I listen to the pre/post game interviews and coaches shows so I know that the coaching staff is aware of the issues. They aren’t idiots.

Identifying issues and correcting them are two different things. Improvement doesn’t happen overnight and often comes in fits and starts. If it were as easy as saying “we are a bad rebounding team - rebound better now” then there would be no bad rebounding teams.
                  Marshall was criticized, and is now quite often by certain posters criticized, often true criticism although, he isn't given credit for what he did by a good number of these posters (he was the most successful WSU coach ever with 330 wins) I've even stated that he often went overboard on his intensity, and anger from what I saw, and I'm sure behind the scenes, that happened too. Brown is a better person. But I still liked some of Marshall's intensity, feistiness, and competitiveness that he showed openly to players and referees alike.

Originally posted by pie n eye View Post
                  I have seen incremental improvements in that area, we out-rebounded Tulane by 5% last night, and will continue to track that stat the rest of the season.
                  You do realize that Tulane is even worse at rebounding than we are. I think that their percentage at rebounding was around #277, and we were #244 out of 350 Div. 1 teams (some teams shouldn't even be classified Div. 1 as they compete so low) We actually dominated the boards early in the game, but then Tulane took over in the final 8 minutes of the game. I said this earlier but the only game we competed (rebounded) at a high level was against Ole Miss.

I hope we defeat Houston, and go to the NCAA, but while we are winning, we aren't playing at a high level yet. We won last year too but didn't compete at a high level. I think we have more leadership so I have thought that we would be better this year, but we aren't imo.

Comment

• Originally posted by California Shocker View Post
                    https://goshockers.com/watch/?Live=4874&type=Live

Isnt this a watch video? All I get is audio only on my Android phone. Do I need to set my phone a certain way to get video?

Someone help me out.
                    Pretty sure that's just to listen to Mike and Dave on radio. All basketball games are obviously on ESPN family networks. Volleyball and baseball home games should be on ESPN+ too this spring.

Comment

• Originally posted by asiseeit View Post
                      A second place finish should earn
                      WSU goal should be to hire the best HC possible, not to arbitrarily set up some minimum threshold of performance that really doesn't mean much in such a disrupted season. If IB is the best they can get then fine, but don't limit yourselves. This next hire will likely determine whether WSU will suck for the next decade or not - ADDB has to get this right.

Comment

• On the one hand, we played really good for a large part of this game. Good enough to build a 21 point lead. On the other hand, we played really bad the rest of the game. On par with the second half against Memphis and the 16-0 stretch against Houston.

It’s unreasonable to expect a team to play their absolute best the entire game but we have to figure a way to limit the depth of our valleys.

One of the features of February is ugly basketball, it almost always has been. We are still a work in progress. Hopefully we can continue to find ways to while we struggle to gain consistency.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

You do realize that Tulane is even worse at rebounding than we are. I think that their percentage at rebounding was around #277, and we were #244 out of 350 Div. 1 teams (some teams shouldn't even be classified Div. 1 as they compete so low) We actually dominated the boards early in the game, but then Tulane took over in the final 8 minutes of the game.
                          Yes, I do know where Tulane is ranked in rebounding rate. I stated as much in the game thread. As we should expect of a WSU team against an inferior rebounding team, we beat them on the glass.

Yet, it’s still notable because it’s something we’ve only done in 3 of 11 D1 games this year.

I will continue to track that stat each game to gauge our progression, or lack thereof, in that area.

We did everything very well, including rebounding, for a large part of the game. The way we finished was disappointing. Isaac Brown was as pissed off as I’ve ever heard him in a post game interview and he hit on all of our complaints - defense, rebounding, shot selection.
                          Last edited by pie n eye; February 4, 2021, 01:07 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by asiseeit View Post
                            A second place finish should earn
                            There is no scenario that our next coach should have a 2 year contract. A minimum of 5 with a manageable buyout. You can't recruit on a two year contract. It would basically assure we will not improve until we get our "long term" coach.

Comment

• IHCIB was critical of the effort after the game. No sh!t. I'd have done a line change, but I'm an azzhole.

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                                IHCIB was critical of the effort after the game. No sh!t. I'd have done a line change, but I'm an azzhole.
                                How many D1 wins you got on your record?

Obviously I kid and there’s nothing wrong with having an opinion but it’s one thing to sit on the couch and say what you would do, it’s another thing to go out and actually do it and have to live with the results.

Would a line change have worked? Tough to say. We definitely saw Gregg Marshall do it on many occasions over the years. Sometimes it worked, other times not much changed.

Comment

Working...
                                X