Wichita State vs. UCF Game Thread 1-30-21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post
    I want back and watched this game with a critical eye, pausing and rewinding to try and understand certain plays. I came away with a new appreciation for the game and UCF.
    • We got a ton of open looks and missed badly. It Dexter hits anything at all this probably ends up a 5-10 point win.
    There's another post on this forum about our rebounding shortcomings, but I was tempted to start a thread about our inability to shoot the ball/be efficient on offense hurting us often. I'm pretty certain under GGG we were top 20 in offenseive efficiency rankings several times.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post

There's another post on this forum about our rebounding shortcomings, but I was tempted to start a thread about our inability to shoot the ball/be efficient on offense hurting us often. I'm pretty certain under GGG we were top 20 in offenseive efficiency rankings several times.
      Once he got things rolling we were more often than not top 25 in both offense and defensive efficiency (KenPom). The first American year we were like top 10 on offense but near 100 on D. The last two years our defense was really good but offense lagged. I don’t really trust any of the analytical sites so far this year. At least not KenPom. I would say overall our offensive execution is ahead of our defense despite the shooting struggles of everyone not named Tyson.

Sometimes shots don’t fall, that’s why Marshall always preached defense, rebounding, and protecting the ball. They are things you can do every single game that will give you a chance even when shots aren’t falling.

I don’t hear Brown saying anything different.

Comment

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

Once he got things rolling we were more often than not top 25 in both offense and defensive efficiency (KenPom). The first American year we were like top 10 on offense but near 100 on D. The last two years our defense was really good but offense lagged. I don’t really trust any of the analytical sites so far this year. At least not KenPom. I would say overall our offensive execution is ahead of our defense despite the shooting struggles of everyone not named Tyson.

Sometimes shots don’t fall, that’s why Marshall always preached defense, rebounding, and protecting the ball. They are things you can do every single game that will give you a chance even when shots aren’t falling.

I don’t hear Brown saying anything different.
        Right. And he has stated, that I have heard from him, the kids are trying hard on the glass, too. What you see is what you get. Threads about why aren't we rebounding like our glory years are a waste of time with this years, or any years', team.

If we do so, why not talk about our glory years offensively too? Personally,I'd rather do neither, and focus on this years team, just like Coach Brown does.
        Last edited by ShockingButTrue; February 1, 2021, 05:15 PM.

Comment

• Gilbert really needs to clean up a few things.
          1. Stop forcing threes :03 seconds into the offensive possession without making a single pass. He did this so many times after we got a big stop during our comeback against UCF. It very easily could have cost us the game.
          2. Turn around and check someone out every possession on defense. Too often he just stands there and watches the ball.
          3. Find someone to guard if the big has to switch onto his man in the pick and roll, don’t just stand and watch.
          • Monzy still takes too many ill advised shots but he is a scorer. It would be really helpful if he could improve his FT %.
          • Tre Wade made some really nice passes and isn’t forcing as much on offense but his defense could be more consistent and he often doesn’t box out either.
          • Tyson is almost beyond reproach. If everyone on the team played with his intelligence, fire, and consistency on both ends of the court the team could reach another level.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post

Man...I often thought GGG's offenses were tough to watch....maybe it was just me...

Comment

• Originally posted by molly jabali View Post
              Man...I often thought GGG's offenses were tough to watch....maybe it was just me...
              doubt it

Comment

• Originally posted by molly jabali View Post
                KP AdjO ranking History
                2021: 69

2020: 117
                2019: 135
                2018: 4
                2017: 13
                2016: 67
                2015: 19
                2014: 17
                2013: 35

So the recent history 3G is quite a bit worse than what we are seeing right now. With Fred and Landry running the team ... it was very good.

Comment

• What I saw from AG last year is about what I'm seeing this year. His performance is about what could be expected based on his history.
                  The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                  We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Well,

I am back.

No. 32 St. Louis is getting slaughtered by 23 points with about six minutes to go against mighty Dayton at 11-7.

Mighty Wright State (No. 58) got beat by that famous powerhouse Northern Kentucky.

Famous UC Santa Barbara beat powerful UC Davis in overtime after manhandling tough Cal State Northridge.

And, of course, No. 10 Colgate is playing Boston U for the fourth, fifth, one hundredth time this year tomorrow and again Sunday, and then
                    finishing the year with Holy Cross, who they play twice more after already beating them four times.

Wow, ALL of these teams surely deserve to be ranked higher than WSU, right.

The talking bobbleheads on tv were stating that Maryland at 12-10 has "locked in" their spot in the tourney after going from 10-10 to 12-10 by beating that famous
                    basketball powerhouse Nebraska in back to back games.

Is this crazy or what?

I could go on and on with other ludicrous reviews, but this proves my point.

I will wait for Pie to explain to me how I am just not sophisticated enough to see the wonderful analysis of this stupid system.

Glad Shocks are RIGHTFULLY and FINALLY back in some brackets, where they should have been long ago.

Comment

• Originally posted by David Rahm View Post
                      Well,

I am back.

No. 32 St. Louis is getting slaughtered by 23 points with about six minutes to go against mighty Dayton at 11-7.

Mighty Wright State (No. 58) got beat by that famous powerhouse Northern Kentucky.

Famous UC Santa Barbara beat powerful UC Davis in overtime after manhandling tough Cal State Northridge.

And, of course, No. 10 Colgate is playing Boston U for the fourth, fifth, one hundredth time this year tomorrow and again Sunday, and then
                      finishing the year with Holy Cross, who they play twice more after already beating them four times.

Wow, ALL of these teams surely deserve to be ranked higher than WSU, right.

The talking bobbleheads on tv were stating that Maryland at 12-10 has "locked in" their spot in the tourney after going from 10-10 to 12-10 by beating that famous
                      basketball powerhouse Nebraska in back to back games.

Is this crazy or what?

I could go on and on with other ludicrous reviews, but this proves my point.

I will wait for Pie to explain to me how I am just not sophisticated enough to see the wonderful analysis of this stupid system.

Glad Shocks are RIGHTFULLY and FINALLY back in some brackets, where they should have been long ago.
                      LMAO You need to stop raising issues like this. You are going to piss off the national media that has locked itself into the Net rankings as the primary way to select teams for the NCAA Tournament. Somebody is making money off this Net formula and you need to stop interfering. And please do not make fun of Big 10 teams. All the teams in the Big 10 deserve to be in the tournament. It is their right for playing in a power 5 conference. It doesn't matter if they are only 2 games over 500.

Comment

Working...
                      X