JT question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JT question

Why does Durley get such limited playing time? Only 18 minutes tonight when we were already missing one of our bigs. It seems like with such an inept offense, we would want him on the floor more. Is he that bad on the defensive end?

JT seemed a step slow on D tonight and wasn't boxing out well. That, or Illinois State was playing uber-inspired and we were caught unaware. Either way, coach was letting the guys hear it all night long.

Comment

The problem is pretty simple - about halfway through defensive possessions he stops moving, starts watching the ball and then he losses his guy and misses the check-out. At some point he has to stay focused for the full 35 seconds, but it has not happened yet. Once he gets "it" he will become a difference maker for the shockers. Hopefully, he does soon because we need him.

Comment

Kennedy mentioned that Marshall told him JT was too much of a liability to get a ton of minutes. He ripped JT and Aaron Ellis big time early in the game and let them sit for the rest of the half.

Comment

As a former indoor soccer player when younger, I understand the
          'deer in the headlights' syndrome. Many times, you can get caught up watching what is going on with other players and the ball, that you simply
          are blinded to the fact, you should be thinking about what to do, and where to go to set up a play.

Sometimes it depends on how a player feels on that night, and whether is thinking all the time, or just going through the motions.

Comment

What I don't unerstand is can't you hide his defensive liabilities? It seems to me the previous staff hid Sean Ogirri's defensive liabilities for three seasons.

Comment

It's just my personal opinion, but when you're giving up 49 pts and losing, it shouldn't matter how much of a defensive liability someone, who gets a point a minute, is.

JT not getting tons of playing time will probably help him out in the long run though, forcing him to be able to play defense instead of just scoring.

Comment

I am pretty sure that GM is trying to coach to win this year. However, I think he is trying even harder to establish what his program is all about. My opinion on why JT doesn't play more is that GM is trying to motivate him, through lack of playing time, to improve in the "non-negotiable" areas. I think GM would rather lose an extra game or two this season, when we never really had much chance to be good anyway, than allow JT to continue his bad habits.

Comment

Andshock: It seems to me that if you are allowing guys to play who don't play defense then you'll be giving up a lot more than 49 ppg. If JT scores 20 last night but gives up 25, then you lose by more.

McShocker: I think you make an excellent point.
                  Wear your seatbelt.

Comment

Originally posted by ISASO
                    Kennedy mentioned that Marshall told him JT was too much of a liability to get a ton of minutes. He ripped JT and Aaron Ellis big time early in the game and let them sit for the rest of the half.
                    Shortly after JT entered the game in the first half, there was a ball scramble in the paint, just south of the free throw line. JT's effort on the ball was not memorable. Some might say pathetic.

If a player fails to scrap for loose balls, he is pushing one of Coach Marshall's hot buttons.

When it happened, I looked down at the bench to see Coach Marshall's reaction. Trust me, he was not happy.

Comment

Originally posted by Ricky Del Rio
                      Originally posted by ISASO
                      Shortly after JT entered the game in the first half, there was a ball scramble in the paint, just south of the free throw line. JT's effort on the ball was not memorable. Some might say pathetic.

If a player fails to scrap for loose balls, he is pushing one of Coach Marshall's hot buttons.

When it happened, I looked down at the bench to see Coach Marshall's reaction. Trust me, he was not happy.

RDR, I remember that play very well and had the same reaction as you.

I did not check out HCGM's reaction, although I can imagine he was not real happy about the level of effort.

JT could be so good, if he wants to be. Let's hope that he decides he wants to be a special player.

Comment

My dad told me that Marshall mentioned that JT wasn't a hard worker in practice, and I'm sure it has to do with that.
                        Who is Ryan Clemente?

Comment

Tell your dad "that's just good stuff"!

Comment

If JT scores 20 and gives up 19...it's a victory in my book. What value are guys like WP, AE, MG, etc. at this point if they are absolutely no threat on the offensive end? I can guarantee they give up more points than they score. When you score zero or two points each game...it's pretty hard to keep the guy you're guarding scoreless as well.

Comment

NCAABound, I completely agree. If you are zero threat on offense, and you can't hit a free throw to save your life, that is much more of a liability than someone who gives up a few on defense, but can actually contribute something offensively. IMO, JT is less of a defensive liability than several other players are offensive liabilities.

Comment

Working...
                              X